Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Great pics, but the strange (and inaccurate) chimney on 7800 is not reflected by the pics of 7800 on the Accurascale site or the pics of 7800 earlier in this thread.

The result of using one boiler moulding with the base of the chimney built in and trying to cater for two chimney diameters using different tops.

• RMweb Gold

C5F92EF8-9584-44AE-A416-3CC25D9ED392.jpeg.2f48a87376cf75b480981d8f917b4ac1.jpeg

Have had a chance to look at my 7802 … bowled over! Thanks Accurascale…

Been looking at fitting the details starting with the front coupling. A key wow for me with photos of the model was getting the coupling on to the shackle under the buffer. Well …. Destroyed one coupling trying so haven’t persisted with the other one. 

Any advice anywhere please? The coupling as supplied would be a very tight stretch as the bottom shackle is modelled wound up near the counterbalance weight …. If it were at the lower extremity of its travel there might be a better chance …

The only way I have got it to work on other models is with a coupling with extended shackles as used on the SR and with the pivot axes of the shackles at 90 degrees so might be doing a swap there…

Heres one I did earlier on a modified Bachmann Modified Hall …. 

AC32AA18-B4A2-44C1-99E0-CA9AB3A030AC.jpeg.d6c73c5d2df1f13f9250e591cf5dfc3d.jpeg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

How long until we see aBradley Manor at double the sale price on eBay a la Exeter?

I’ve one on order and will disappointed if I don’t receive it.  However, when I placed the order, not that early, I was vaguely surprised that they were still taking orders.  As such, I wasn’t completely shocked to get the email I did.

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Ive nbot seen on any pics but is it possible to have a front coupling fitted? My layouts an end to end so would need to be able to  pull trains backwards if needed

One is included and shows in the manual how to fit it on the front bogie as well to.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Did others have payment taken ?

Yes John,i had paid,here is the e mail as far as the payment refund,happy days.

We would like to offer you a full refund for your order – including the original deposit – and as a gesture of goodwill we would also like to offer you a free one-year subscription to Key Model World and a £25 gift voucher to use on the Key Model World Shop.

• Thanks 2

For those who have already received their Accurascale Manor, has anyone fitted the included chain link couplings to both the front and back? If yes, how easy are they to fit and how strong are they?

I am building a small layout and I am

hoping that they might be strong enough to pull 2 or 3 mk1 coaches. 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Trainsandtravel said:

For those who have already received their Accurascale Manor, has anyone fitted the included chain link couplings to both the front and back? If yes, how easy are they to fit and how strong are they?

I am building a small layout and I am

hoping that they might be strong enough to pull 2 or 3 mk1 coaches. 

Only done the front one …. See above.

There isn’t much length on the coupling hook shaft so you won’t get much glue bond strength . The one coupling also came apart when I was trying to get it to go over the shackle … the bottom link came off although I have replaced it. Suspect you will be lucky to get them to perform prototypical function….. but wait to be proven wrong!!! 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Only done the front one …. See above.

There isn’t much length on the coupling hook shaft so you won’t get much glue bond strength . The one coupling also came apart when I was trying to get it to go over the shackle … the bottom link came off although I have replaced it. Suspect you will be lucky to get them to perform prototypical function….. but wait to be proven wrong!!! 

Thanks. 

I will have a go when I receive my 2 manors. 

I really think that with the standard of models being produced these days, the tension lock couplings look really out of place 😂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Trainsandtravel said:

I really think that with the standard of models being produced these days, the tension lock couplings look really out of place 😂

I agree with you absolutely, which is why we’ve been experimenting with alternatives, but sadly, modelling tradition has saddled us with tension locks (as well as incorrectly gauged track!) and so they’ll have to continue being fitted, at least for a while.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from holiday to find Cookham Manor waiting on my figurative doormat.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread but can anyone point me in the direction of the guide to fitting crew please? - All I seem to be able to find on the AS website is guide info about decoder functions.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Islesy said:

I agree with you absolutely, which is why we’ve been experimenting with alternatives, but sadly, modelling tradition has saddled us with tension locks (as well as incorrectly gauged track!) and so they’ll have to continue being fitted, at least for a while.

Looking back it's a great shame that when Mainline and Airfix started producing models

rather than toy trains, the track gauge wasn't altered to something more accurate back then.

How things have moved on since then ( except for the track gauge ).

Keep up the good work Accurascale.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mooresby said:

Just got back from holiday to find Cookham Manor waiting on my figurative doormat.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier in the thread but can anyone point me in the direction of the guide to fitting crew please? - All I seem to be able to find on the AS website is guide info about decoder functions.....

On the back page of the "Operating" pamphlet in the box.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Islesy said:

It is great that you have been experimenting with alternatives. These manors are absolutely exquisite and I am looking forward to getting mine. 

I have often wondered if a manufacturer would ever offer RTR models in P4 gauge as it is the same scale as 00 gauge just with a more to gauge track. I actually think there is a market for it these days. You can already get RTR track in P4. 

More and more modellers are seeking more realism. 

Hopefully there will be a manufacturer take the plunge one day and start offering P4 models. 

8 hours ago, Trainsandtravel said:

1 hour ago, Islesy said:

It is a case of practicality over authenticity isn't it ?   Why do we have model trains ?

Some like to display their models in showcases, some keep them all secure in their origjnal boxes. Others like to get theirs out and run them on pretty tight bends, needing the concessions to help this. Some like to use 3 link or chain couplings, or S&Ws etc. 

For me, my models need to coupling ands uncouple and shunt in sidings, so I have to have autocouplers, and have standardised on Kadees.  Ugly and unprototypical yes, but IMHO better than tension locks.  One thing for sure, many of us have different opinions on couplers. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, Covkid said:

It is a case of practicality over authenticity isn't it ?   Why do we have model trains ?

Some like to display their models in showcases, some keep them all secure in their origjnal boxes. Others like to get theirs out and run them on pretty tight bends, needing the concessions to help this. Some like to use 3 link or chain couplings, or S&Ws etc. 

For me, my models need to coupling ands uncouple and shunt in sidings, so I have to have autocouplers, and have standardised on Kadees.  Ugly and unprototypical yes, but IMHO better than tension locks.  One thing for sure, many of us have different opinions on couplers. 

I agree that different people have different preferences when it comes to couplings. That is why I think that most modern models have NEM sockets which allow different coupling options to be used. 

Using chain links is fiddly and not for everyone but most modern models come with cosmetic chain links. I just think it would be amazing if these could be made to be strong enough to be functional as it adds another option for those who like myself, would like to use them. 

I hope to eventually convert my stock to P4. I will start on an old type model as I don’t have the confidence yet to convert my more delicate modern models, But if anyone manages to convert their new manor to P4 I would be very interested in how they do it!  

Edited by Trainsandtravel
Spelling.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Royal Mail delivered my 7802 at 0900 today, I've just completed the unboxing process, and it has survived the journey entirely intact.

All I can say is WOW! What a little beauty. Just one query, Accurascale.

How on earth do you get so much weight into a loco that size?   😃

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Royal Mail delivered my 7802 at 0900 today, I've just completed the unboxing process, and it has survived the journey entirely intact.

All I can say is WOW! What a little beauty. Just one query, Accurascale.

How on earth do you get so much weight into a loco that size?   😃

John

It’s almost entirely made of diecast :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, BR Blue said:

So how exactly would this affect you ordering from Accurascale? That makes no sense. Key could have ordered a model from anyone and over sold it. I do not see any logic in that statement.

My issue is with key publishing and not Accurascale and I actually have alot of Accurascale models.  Apologies if my post wad misleading with regards to Accurascale.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2