Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

22 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

I can remember seeing the CCE hauled by a Manor with a headboard at Dovey Junction.  Two questions - a) did both parts carry a headboard after the train divided at MCH?  - b) Was there ever a train reporting number carried on a Manor from Shrewsbury?

Part B can now be answered!!  I have found a photo of a Manor on the CCE with a reporting number!!!  7827 'Lydham Manor' on the CCE heading west on 8 August 1964 at Llanbrynmair.  No headboard by then but it is carrying the reporting number 1M12.  Photo is by Martin Smith and can be found on page 32 of 'Steam in the Welsh Landscape' by Michael Welch (Capitol Transport).

Fitted the sound decoder to our manor yesterday evening. It's a little better than I expected @Harlequin

Given the size of speakers. It could do with being a little louder but not by much. 

However what is not so ok is the vibration transmitted from motor at very low speed to the driving wheels. It ruins the immersion of the train pulling away. I don't want to send it back instead want to ask if anyone else has had this issue and did you manage to solve it? I don't mind tinkering. 

Edited by Moley48
  • Friendly/supportive 1

So unfortunately this post isn’t going to be a very positive one. 

I had to send back my Cookham Manor that was purchased direct from Accurascale due to it arriving damaged. I very much believe the damage is caused by the lack of care taken when these models are packaged up to be sent at the warehouse. It arrived in a box with hardly any padding and the locomotive box was free to move and rattle around inside. 

Today, I received my replacement and exactly the same thing. But this time the model is in an even worse condition with the drain cocks broken off, the chimney broken off and the box battered to bits. I wasn’t too worried about the chimney as I can glue that back in, however the drain cocks are so tiny and I can’t find them in the box anywhere. 

I have ordered a few of these manors and they are excellent models. It’s interesting to note that all of the ones I ordered from rails of Sheffield have arrived perfect and they have taken lots of care when packaging the models up to be sent. 

On the other hand, all of the models I have received direct from accurascale have arrived damaged. This I believe is caused by poor packaging and DHL not taking care when the parcel is in their possession.

Now i am not criticising the help that I have received from the guys at accurascale. They have been very prompt in replying and sorting out a replacement, however all of these issues could almost be solved if they sorted out the poor packaging when sending from their warehouse. 

Sorry for the negative post on what is such a fantastic model but it really needs to be addressed. 

Edited by Trainsandtravel
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 8

4 minutes ago, Trainsandtravel said:

I had to send back my Cookham Mankiewicz that was purchased direct from Accurascale due to it arriving damaged. I very much believe the damage is caused by the lack of care taken when these models are packaged up to be sent at the warehouse. It arrived in a box with hardly any padding and the locomotive box was free to move and rattle around inside. 

Today, I received my replacement and exactly the same thing. But this time the model is in an even worse condition with the drain cocks broken off, the chimney broken off and the box battered to bits. I wasn’t too worried about the chimney as I can glue that back in, however the drain cocks are so tiny and I can’t find them in the box anywhere. 

I have ordered a few of these manors and they are excellent models. It’s interesting to note that all of the ones I ordered from rails of Sheffield have arrived perfect and they have taken lots of care when packaging the models up to be sent. 

On the other hand, all of the models I have received direct from accurascale have arrived damaged. This I believe is caused by poor packaging and DHL not taking care when the parcel is in their possession.

Now i am not criticising the help that I have received from the guys at accurascale. They have been very prompt in replying and sorting out a replacement, however all of these issues could almost be solved of they sorted out the poor packaging when sending from their warehouse. 

Sorry for the negative post on what is such a fantastic model but it really needs to be addressed. 

Interesting, mine arrived in excellent condition (with adequate padding) after DHL bounced it across the Atlantic and over our mountain roads to remote western North Carolina here in Asheville. You must have somehow pissed off the wrong guy in the shipping department! Better luck on the next one.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Trainsandtravel said:

I had to send back my Cookham Manor that was purchased direct from Accurascale due to it arriving damaged. I very much believe the damage is caused by the lack of care taken when these models are packaged up to be sent at the warehouse. It arrived in a box with hardly any padding and the locomotive box was free to move and rattle around inside. 

Now i am not criticising the help that I have received from the guys at accurascale. They have been very prompt in replying and sorting out a replacement, however all of these issues could almost be solved if they sorted out the poor packaging when sending from their warehouse. 

Sorry to hear that, I’ve sent you a Pm

Edited by McC
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Cofga said:

Interesting, mine arrived in excellent condition (with adequate padding) after DHL bounced it across the Atlantic and over our mountain roads to remote western North Carolina here in Asheville. You must have somehow pissed off the wrong guy in the shipping department! Better luck on the next one.

That is very interesting indeed. I wonder if they use a different facility to ship the international orders. As both the ones i have received from Accurascale have had inadequate padding inside the box meaning the models box is free to bounce around inside. 

• RMweb Premium

I do hope that these 'damaged in transit' and returned Engines might become available at a later date? Some of us would probably be able to fettle the thing into a decent Engine. Prices adjusted according to grade of bustification?

Cheers.

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Trainsandtravel said:

That is very interesting indeed. I wonder if they use a different facility to ship the international orders. As both the ones i have received from Accurascale have had inadequate padding inside the box meaning the models box is free to bounce around inside. 

MIne came straight from Accurascale and it was more padded than Katie Price.

Phil

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

MIne came straight from Accurascale and it was more padded than Katie Price.

Phil

I thought she was bankrupt these days… Katie Price not Anthony Manor 🤣🤣

My “Tony” arrived in one piece in Spain…. No broken bits at all…

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2023 at 03:05, Cofga said:

Cookham Manor arrived in Western North Carolina this afternoon and I already have a couple of questions. I installed the full cylinder head covers and now wonder what to do with the cylinder guards. Can’t figure exactly how to fit them.

Did you ever get an answer to the cylinder guard question!  I can't figure out how to fit mine either!

• RMweb Gold

My Manor arrived a few days ago and I finally managed to find time to open the box today and at first sight, it looks rather good:

20230912_1640531000.jpg.f4fed66019b31f518754a7722f9475b2.jpg

However, a question for @McC , is there an easy cure for the left hand cab handrail not meeting the roof as discernable above and more clearly seen below and is the cab roof gutter supposed to look that wonky, or is it damaged?

20230912_163833700.jpg.f1da8dea0fe0a9b081b5603e4e736f40.jpg

I'm really sorry to appear picky, but after waiting for so long for this loco and with an almost 300€ price tag, it's a shame to have such a noticable error.

Oh and by the way, a big thank you for your team in Dublin who packed the box really well, with plenty of carefully placed padding.

• Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, Trainsandtravel said:

Interesting. Mine arrived with the decorated box held hard against the side of the posting box by large bubble wrap, so that the decorated box didn’t rattle around but wasn’t padded on all sides. Chimney detached, easily glued on. Both top lamp irons bent, easily straightened. Both drain cocks broken, Accurascale help has promised replacements when spares arrive. I suspect that the glue fixing the chimney isn’t strong enough and that the model hasn’t been put into its ice cube carefully enough. Most of all, the decorated box should have been completely surrounded by bubble wrap in order to absorb shocks in transit. The posting box was certainly big enough to allow that. What was it Simon Kohler didn’t say? “Glue, glue, glue.”

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Trainsandtravel said:

Hi @Trainsandtravel,

I can confirm that UK and Rest of World ship out of the same facility, and our EU orders ship from a different facility in Dublin. 

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Trainsandtravel,

I can confirm that UK and Rest of World ship out of the same facility, and our EU orders ship from a different facility in Dublin. 

Cheers!

Fran 

I do have to agree that my Manor (shipped to a UK address) had the minimum  packing and could move significantly within the larger transit box. It was the same with my Deltics. The Manor did however arrive undamaged.  I think packing is the one area where AS could look to improve as yours is currently not  as good as that of most retailers if my experience is anything to go by. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Trainsandtravel,

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran. 

Just a question,  DHL seem to be very poor in my area and don’t take care at all with packages when in their possession. Obviously your models are great, but from this experience, I am now worried that any future model I purchase is going to get damaged in transit. 

Would it be possible that if I order another model in the future, that I can request another delivery company? I would be quite happy to pay additional postage to make sure it gets to me in one piece. 

Many thanks again. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Torquay arrived yesterday at Tregenole and Ashworthy stations and has now had at least 2 hours running in and about 4 hours loaded (5) on my roundy.  Like others on DC only, the slow speed could be better, I use a GM simulator controller and a GM fixed one, it is better when hauling 3+ cars but still comes to a tea spilling stop at a station with normal control, the nearest I have for comparison is my Bachmann 2-6-0 N class with I believe also has a 3 pole motor which does not cog/jerk at all. 

The manor definitely cogs, if it won’t then start again I just gently touch the rear driver wheel then it will move, much like the old x04 motors of old, not sure if the manor is the manor skew wound can’t recall seeing anything.

A quick test over 1 foot at the slowest speed the N class will take 11.5 secs to travel, at 1.1V and 0.1a, the manor slowest speed 6 secs at 2.5v and 0.2ma (not like the Deltic which needs 4v and 0.65a) so the manor is almost twice as fast as the N.  The N class is at 28 throttle and manor at 50 to move off.

I found that using the inertia setting is far better, for running 80% throttle and 75% brake applied or no brake and 60% throttle.  To stop at station, throttle and brake off let it coast and then apply brake full on and full off quickly, this is fine and is then in line with my other locos.  The fixed controller is just used for the MPD.

(Ooh and don’t leave unattended if loaded unless you superglue coupling in , I went back after 30 mins to find the tender T/L coupling had come out and manor had gone into back of the train, a quick temporary wire round the buffers and I left it for an hour, then did same to front buffers for reverse running).

Pics to follow probably at w/e after crew and weathering done. Also need to close couple to coaches but pocket on tender too small to cut back like I normally do so thinking hat needs to be put on.

Other observations the buffer springs are to firm just like the Deltic for when I close couple and want them to buff and retract on shaper curves unlike other brand that easily retract. Slows on the 3.5 radius curve, rear driver tight on track 1st and 2nd diver fine will get Vernier out later.  Time to go back as now had loaded hour in reverse can still hear it going.  Overall, a nice model.

PXL_20230913_125911637.jpg

Edited by IOW O2
Measure should be 1foot
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Received my sound chip today. Fitted and tested over a yard of track and it's lovely. Must look up the sound functions.

But I can't change the address to 7808. I've changed CV29 to allow it. Didn't work. Changed CVs 17 and 18 to reflect the number. Nothing. I've tried reading the CV and it reads 255 I think.

I have just tried an address change to 78 and that doesn't work either.

Now I realise my ancient Hornby Elite may not be up to the job, but I've been changing CVs ok on my Quarry Hunslets. 

Any thoughts?

Edited by didcot
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1