Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

My first actual sight of one was at Newton Abbot on a train journey from Cardiff to Penzance in the summer of 1953. Their tasks then were assisting passenger trains over the South Devon banks,having taken over the jobs from withdrawn Bulldogs. Lovely,graceful things they were too.NA was spotter’s heaven. Every kind of WR mainline motive power and SR Bulleid light Pacifics too.

That might have been Exeter Ian, as you'd only see one Bulleid a day at Newton Abbot if you were lucky, on the Driver Route refreshing Turns. Have to agree though, with the Shed and Works there in view and the Midland Trains that didn't go further West, N.A was a good place, especially on Summer Saturdays. 

I preferred Exeter as I wanted to go to Central, as living in Plymouth I didn't really miss that many WR Engines that only got as far as N/A and Merchant Navies never went West of Exeter in those days.

Happy days eh?

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

That might have been Exeter Ian, as you'd only see one Bulleid a day at Newton Abbot if you were lucky, on the Driver Route refreshing Turns. Have to agree though, with the Shed and Works there in view and the Midland Trains that didn't go further West, N.A was a good place, especially on Summer Saturdays. 

I preferred Exeter as I wanted to go to Central, as living in Plymouth I didn't really miss that many WR Engines that only got as far as N/A and Merchant Navies never went West of Exeter in those days.

Happy days eh?

Phil

They were regular on Exeter-Plymouth turns.And the late and great Peter W,Gray did manage to catch a shot of one on shed at NA. What amazing days they were weren’t they ? Summer Saturday heaven.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

They were regular on Exeter-Plymouth turns.And the late and great Peter W,Gray did manage to catch a shot of one on shed at NA. What amazing days they were weren’t they ? Summer Saturday heaven.

The situation was that the Spam did a return trip week-daily (think it was daily) for Crew Training, SR and WR men or Pilot) on the footplate. The WR men + SR men (or Pilot), used to go around the SR Tavistock and Okehampton way and that was usually a 63XX 2.6.0.  Why the Spam used to be on Shed at N.A seems strange as Exeter was the destination, with a perfectly good Shed at St David's!

There are others that know more about those Turns than I do; (most hang around on A Nod to Brent!)

When I was spotting back then I didn't even know they happened!

Phil

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The intuitive explanation for a WC on shed at NA would be that it developed a fault during one of the route familiarisation workings and had been taken off.

John

Of course. Many thanks for that. Alternatively it might have been a curtailed trip due to something going off between NA and Exeter I suppose? 

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2023 at 09:24, Mallard60022 said:

As someone said...feedback Controllers are a bit of/can be an issue with this Motor.

On 26/10/2023 at 19:59, Bucoops said:

Are they feedback controllers? If so that could be your issue.

In my experience, they are fine on PWM controller, if a little noisy (though it sounds more like the gearbox as the Dapol Manor and 28xx I ran at the same time were nice and quiet). Pure DC however is a different matter and the thing leaps into action rather than starting smoothly.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2023 at 15:49, IOW O2 said:

Ha, 🤪not when it’s a 454ml round trip.  As per earlier post's it's not controller related.  Investigations finished.

Lifted body off marked the flywheel and found that at my coupling/uncoupling speed I wanted the motor would always stop at the same point, regardless of wheel positions. Not sure if it’s a skew wound motor but I reckon a heftier flywheel may help, it just cogs at one position.

Next after removing the base/keeper plate there appeared to be no lubrication, no trace of oil or white lube on gears or oil on bearings, unlike Sam’s video which was covered in oil and lube. The rear geared driving wheel was right stiff in the bearings, probly why there was barely any sideways movement.  Once it was all lubed up there was some improvement to it and the amps dropped to 0.01.  At least it's a bit better in a terminal platform still too quick but not lurching into the buffers as before.  I may cut out some sleepers and baseboard at some point and put in another magnet back a bit just for this loco.  Now to get back and runs some trains.

I would bet mine has no lube either then, that would explain the squeaking, even after 3hrs+ of running in. Looks like I'll have to tear in to it and get some lube inside (I did lube the axles where they stick out of the chassis, but to no avail)

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tiny151 said:

As there's a concerning lack of BR lined black in this thread of late, here are a few glamour shots of 7820 from when the sun was shining last weekend, how long ago that feels now.

PXL_20231022_112133870.jpg.a627d23c89070cb4d4bb975e33fdde4f.jpg

Visually, this is an absolute beauty. I'm entranced by the finish on this loco. The metallic paint on the brass and copper feels spot on, particularly in comparison to the unpainted real metal components. We've seen many approaches to representing these metals in recent steam releases, ranging from the dull to the almost mirror like, in all of these cases what I found most jarring was the inconsistency against the other real or painted metal parts of the model. The manor strikes the perfect balance and light seems to reflect off every component in a consistent way.

PXL_20231022_141309354.jpg.18f8ce5b5cd23d063e79ebc2d2962e85.jpg

The other aspect of the finish which I love is the smokebox. The contrast between the satin and matt black is perfect and remedies something which has often stuck out to me on other models, particularly on all black locos. I'm sure this will stay as standard on any future Accurascale steam, but I hope (in the nicest way) that other manufacturers poach the idea too!

PXL_20231022_112235090.jpg.93b2815f69e41d42a3e34a6239255207.jpg

After running in (I do agree with other posters that the slow start is a little hesitant) this is now packed away again until the layout is a little more progressed, or until I succumb to the temptation to add the etched plates and other detailing. But for the final couple loops I did take the chance to finally run a fully prototypical Accuratrain! Now, was it East or West coast these operated on...?

PXL_20231022_111009741.jpg.66e4d46ad647a8e7f7c2678602333e87.jpg

Roll on the Buckjumper!

Classic.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well - having now had the chance to test run 7810, I am more than happy! No in-transit damage.

Starting and stopping - in DC - is smooth, no jerks; slow running and backing onto a train is equally smooth; upper haulage limit is twelve coaches.

There is a noticeable whine at all speeds, increasing in frequency as speed picks up. I can live with this, but will see if a little lubrication is needed to quieten it down. Nonetheless, it is noticeably noisier than most of my RTR and kit-built locos.

If Accurascale can address the whine in future steam-outline models, they are definitely on the right road.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Well - having now had the chance to test run 7810, I am more than happy! No in-transit damage.

Starting and stopping - in DC - is smooth, no jerks; slow running and backing onto a train is equally smooth; upper haulage limit is twelve coaches.

There is a noticeable whine at all speeds, increasing in frequency as speed picks up. I can live with this, but will see if a little lubrication is needed to quieten it down. Nonetheless, it is noticeably noisier than most of my RTR and kit-built locos.

If Accurascale can address the whine in future steam-outline models, they are definitely on the right road.

John Isherwood.

They shouldn’t whine. Drop a video ideally to support or your retailer for advice. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, McC said:

They shouldn’t whine. Drop a video ideally to support or your retailer for advice. 

I shan't bother, thanks.

I strongly suspect that a little lubrication, and some more running-in, will mitigate the sound - but I am more than happy with the model as it is.

I mentioned the whine only because a couple of other posts mentioned it - but it is not a significant problem for me.

Congratulations on an excellent model!

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The situation was that the Spam did a return trip week-daily (think it was daily) for Crew Training, SR and WR men or Pilot) on the footplate. The WR men + SR men (or Pilot), used to go around the SR Tavistock and Okehampton way and that was usually a 63XX 2.6.0.  Why the Spam used to be on Shed at N.A seems strange as Exeter was the destination, with a perfectly good Shed at St David's!

There are others that know more about those Turns than I do; (most hang around on A Nod to Brent!)

When I was spotting back then I didn't even know they happened!

Phil

Hello Phil

I will post a reply to the ANTB thread as it is 'off topic' here.

Brian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I shan't bother, thanks.

I strongly suspect that a little lubrication, and some more running-in, will mitigate the sound - but I am more than happy with the model as it is.

I mentioned the whine only because a couple of other posts mentioned it - but it is not a significant problem for me.

Congratulations on an excellent model!

John Isherwood.

My first Manor started to grumble more and more into its running in period and upon a little peep into the gear chamber, not one bit of lube was to be found. Of course, the damage was done and grease made no difference. I'll not be asking for a warranty repair because I then seemed to 'go on the rampage'! Trapping wires, shorting two sound decoders, and equally unforgiving, soldering the broken wires wrongly. (What a plonker). Various stuff now ordered from Accurascale and a recovery plan put into place. My grandson gave me very appropriate feedback on my performance! Fortunately, my two other Manors arrived later than the first, so they have benefited from an input of model grease before they turned a wheel and, of course, run beautifully quietly. They are, as you so rightly put, gorgeous models.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Of course. Many thanks for that. Alternatively it might have been a curtailed trip due to something going off between NA and Exeter I suppose? 

Phil

Or it had worked a train to Torbay and returned light to Newton for turning and servicing.

You were pretty much on teh ball with Route Knowledge tur s although Southern engines other than light pacifics did work them as well if you look at various photos.  The Western engines seem to have been exclusively 43XX etc moguls if photos are any guide,  

No need for Conductor drivers as theh trains were worked by men wjho knew the road in order to keep up their knowledge and no doubt others went with them as necessary to learn the road when they moved into the relevant links.  We wnet through it all in ciderable detail some time back in the ANTB thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, cctransuk said:

As my post Friday I had no lube at at all.

1 hour ago, Edna Clouds said:

My first Manor started to grumble more and more into its running in period and upon a little peep into the gear chamber, not one bit of lube was to be found. Of course, the damage was done and grease made no difference. 

Which is what I mine did so added lube and oil as there was none.  I wish I had the baseplate off before running in, but as the conrods etc were well oiled, so much I had to wipe with a tissue I assumed all else would be OK.

I experimented with an 18g brass nut tacked onto flywheel left supported overnight with a bit of EVO, as in pic below, which a has transformed the slow speed to what I would expect for uncoupling in a terminal platform, I said on Friday I thought the flywheel needed to be heftier.  I am going to source a brass bit that will fit in the space and superglue on.

PXL_20231029_140725494[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, IOW O2 said:

I am going to source a brass bit that will fit in the space and superglue on.

PXL_20231029_140725494[1].jpg

The additional weight will have to be VERY carefully centralised; any eccentricity whatsoever will very quickly wear out the motor bearings - particularly the front one.

Better would be a replacement flywheel - if there is space; the existing one should yield to a gear-puller.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I was concerned how much vibration it may introduce - doesn't look to be centred in the photo.

It was just a tester to see if it would make any difference which it did, only ran up and down over a couple of feet now removed.

Also forgot to say the firebox flicker stopped a couple of weeks ago, on lifting the body off Friday found a wire had come away from the LED thingy, no big deal was too bright anyway on DC. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IOW O2 said:

Also forgot to say the firebox flicker stopped a couple of weeks ago, on lifting the body off Friday found a wire had come away from the LED thingy, no big deal was too bright anyway on DC. 

I likewise found it a little brighter than I'd ideally like, though think I'll avoid this particular fix!

It'd be great to see a diesel style underbody manual switch to control firebox flicker for the DC crowd.

• Agree 1

Some of the aftermarket fire flicker installations I've made have been quite bright ... but ... when I look at videos of 46100 Royal Scot, etc., on tours going into the evenings, they're VERY bright!

I wonder if the footplate crew need sunglasses to operate them at times!!

Al.

• Funny 2