Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

• RMweb Gold

I should never have doubted but having got a Bachmann V2 with the huge ‘kimetic’ engine to loco coupling I was dreading the arrangement on the Manor.  Therefore surprised and very happy to report that the Accurascale version is nigh on invisible in service and allows to loco to be coupled on the closest setting and still negotiate 36’’ curves.  Just thought I’d share that - right, back to track laying 🏃‍♂️ :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a GW modeller at all but I must say that the Accurascale Manor does look absolutely wonderful, certainly a new benchmark. I can see why all you GW types are so excited by this model.

Kind regards,

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

The latest Going Loco (https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/product.php/78/going-loco) blog has a feature on Manors, and contains an interesting snippet on the tenders for the first 20 locos. They are noted as being 'Tender Lot A148'. But Lot 148 were 4000g units, and Manors weren't outshopped with 4000g units.

There are a number of potential explanations, but it's a bit early in the day to try to tease them out.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/12/2023 at 13:45, 30368 said:

Not a GW modeller at all but I must say that the Accurascale Manor does look absolutely wonderful, certainly a new benchmark. I can see why all you GW types are so excited by this model.

Kind regards,

Basingstoke could have had Manors from Reading. Certainly had Halls as you well know. Just sayin'!

P

• Agree 3

With a bit of corroboration from @JimC, my reading of the official documentation for the first 20 Manors is that it was originally intended for them to run with 4000g tenders, but in the event, they (along with the Granges) soaked up most of the many 3500g units becoming spare at the time, with Halls and Stars taking the new 4000g units.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

To put a bit more flesh on it, a Lot of GWR tender locomotives was normally, but not always, ordered with a Lot of tenders. The Granges seem to be one that wasn't - at least I can't see a tender Lot marked for locomotive Lot 308 in the tender drawings register I just checked. My understanding is that it was always planned to cascade them. According to RCTS A148 was turned out Jan-Sep 1939, while the Manors left the works Jan 1938-Feb 1939.

At the time there was a presumably good 3,500 gallon tender from each withdrawn 43, plus a bunch of usually older tenders with withdrawn Dukes and Bulldogs etc. So I suppose you could say the extra 3,500 gallon tenders freed up from fitting A148 to Halls, Castles and Stars actually ended up on Dukedogs. It seems a good assumption though that the Works just kept building new tenders and they were fitted behind whatever was leaving the works that needed one. 

Edited by JimC
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Basingstoke could have had Manors from Reading. Certainly had Halls as you well know. Just sayin'!

P

I have one Phil - but a very old Bachmann version.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

A small clarification. The early (pre-5013) Castles upgraded quickly. The latest date of a Castle with a small tender I can find after a cursory check is 1930.

Yes, the bizarre retro fitting 5011 with a smaller tender complete with Garter crest at Newton Abbott, especially as 5011 entered service with a 4,000 gallon tender.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

As an example of allocations the notorious Lot A112, the intermediates, is marked in the register as being for Lot 232 (castles 4083-4092), but the register actually states they went out with 4088, 4091, 4092, 4008, 4083, 4087, 4016, 4032, 4019, 4086. Build dates suggest only the first three were new tender and new locomotive. 

Note that this is the only entry in the drawing Register that lists which tender went with which locomotive, and I rather suspect it was added years after the event. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

P

Well I certainly saw them on the SR Waterloo - Bournemouth line at Winchester City several times.  I once saw Frilford Manor - the Reading Manor still in GW livery - on a Down parcels train and I even photographed Granville Manor on Eastleigh shed one Saturday afternoon.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Why? Has some poor soul passed with the shock of receiving such a lovely model? 

Is  £190 more that the actual Price from Accurascale?

I must not buy it.

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2023 at 12:33, 30368 said:

I have one Phil - but a very old Bachmann version.

We shall have to test mine on Basingstoke. However, it will need to be set on DC mode and I have messed it up and it looks a bit grotty now.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Why? Has some poor soul passed with the shock of receiving such a lovely model? 

Is  £190 more that the actual Price from Accurascale?

I must not buy it.

Hi @Mallard60022,

Odd, we have them for sale new on the website at the RRP! https://www.accurascale.com/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class/products/7810-draycott-manor-br-manor-class

Cheers!

Fran 

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Mallard60022,

Odd, we have them for sale new on the website at the RRP! https://www.accurascale.com/collections/gwr-7800-manor-class/products/7810-draycott-manor-br-manor-class

Cheers!

Fran 

Yup, I know that an I have had to resist buying 7810 after your email recently, as I already have one of these beauties.

Seems weird.

P

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup, I know that an I have had to resist buying 7810 after your email recently, as I already have one of these beauties.

Seems weird.

P

Hi @Mallard60022,

Fair play, you're stronger willed than me! I had to have one, it just looks the part.

Cheers!

Fran 

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Ummm, I'm confused. One some of those pics, the tender fender is lined, on others it is not.

I believe on the original samples had the fenders without the lining and the photos still reflect that version, but the final version does have them correctly lined out Miss P! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah yes, 7810 did run with a fender-lined tender in 1956 (possibly/probably one of the ones used behind Moguls 6372 and 6385 after they had finished their 'Royal' duties), but had a late-crest non-lined-fender one in 1959, by which time the loco had got its narrow chimney.

(It's been one of those days.)

• Informative/Useful 1