Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

If Rapido are thinking of making more wagons, there are a few gaping chasms in UK r-t-r.

All have much more potential for bulk sales than the ones you have picked so far.

Vacuum-fitted LMS vans from the 1930s. Very common and long-lived, but with an uncomfortable number of slightly different diagrams to get your heads around. I'd guess with careful design and a multi-slide mould, it might be possible to make three or four different types from one set of tooling. The only half-decent existing one (just the body, though) is the old Airfix model from the late 1970s, and that's a BR variant!

Cattle wagons, any except SR which have been thoroughly covered by Hornby. A 10'wb LNER one would be widely welcomed as the available 9'wb model is a right dog's breakfast. 

Dimensionally correct GWR Mink, Mogo and Fruit vans. All the available ones are noticeably too wide and a bit off in other respects, too. There are kits for some but not all and not even that for the fairly common 1940s Minks/Mogos with plywood bodywork. 

Across the three categories, I alone would be in the market for at least two dozen.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Its interesting reading wishlist threads how quickly manufacturers become sterotyped.

Wishlists in Accurascales thread are predominantly modern image.

In Hornbys its often LNER and SR.

KR is quickly becoming the prototype wishlist thread.

Poor Dapol never seems to be wishlisted at all !

Reading this thread, it seems most requests are steam orientated, yet Rapidos track record includes some of the best rtr multiple units in the market place.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Its interesting reading wishlist threads how quickly manufacturers become sterotyped.

Reading this thread, nearly every request is steam orientated, yet Rapidos track record includes some of the best rtr multiple units in the market place.

Apart from the Turbotrain......his big regret, but rest assured he will put it right.

Interesting no-one is wishlisting Sonic, they appear to be the steam modellers dream ticket at the moment for mainstream models that may not be touched by Bachmann or Hornby in the near term.  Rapido seem to exist in the smaller tank engine market presently for UK steam.

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2022 at 00:39, woodenhead said:

Interesting no-one is wishlisting Sonic,

I did once on the Revolution thread but I think I got away with it. :nono:

But, since you ask me…

A5 (preferably the “general service” LNER-built model)

V1/3

B16

G5

Q6

D49

D20

J71 or, if you must, J72

That’ll do for starters - the Raven Pacific can wait until year 2! :D

Richard T

On 19/01/2022 at 00:31, adb968008 said:

Reading this thread, it seems most requests are steam orientated, yet Rapidos track record includes some of the best rtr multiple units in the market place.

Good point, I’ll go for a decent 150/1 and 150/2 - could even do the three car 150/0 as well!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

What a tease...

rapido-tease-small.jpg.e26a9418ba35708f237391b23fb31430.jpg

Is the Karate uniform a clue?

Ah Grasshopper, the wise Atkins Beard and Tourret say, 'When pollen falls on the serpent do not search for the crocodile'.

• Funny 7

15 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't do much to narrow down any guesses we might make....

John 

If you want narrow, the Festiniog & the Lynton & Barnstaple are already available in RTR, so another manufacturer would be well advised to go for another line ... say the Vale of Rheidol.

Or if you want really narrow, there's always monorails - how about the Listowel & Bally Bunion - or should they leave that to a certain manufacturer based across the Irish Sea? :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having seen Rapido's North American coaching stock, how about a 100% full fat Mk1's, all diagrams and liveries, with the correct bogies for the era.  I'm now sitting awaiting for the doctors to take me away to the funny farm, ha ha, hee hee :jester::locomotive:

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Having seen Rapido's North American coaching stock, how about a 100% full fat Mk1's, all diagrams and liveries, with the correct bogies for the era.  I'm now sitting awaiting for the doctors to take me away to the funny farm, ha ha, hee hee :jester::locomotive:

Ah yes please, in N Gauge without a doubt, there's little or nothing else competing here.

On 31/01/2022 at 08:02, jools1959 said:

Having seen Rapido's North American coaching stock, how about a 100% full fat Mk1's, all diagrams and liveries, with the correct bogies for the era.

I suspect someone at some point will bring out new Mk1 coaches that match what the new locos achieve in accuracy/detail/looks.

I would also hope that at some point Bachmann modifies their Mk2f to remove the DCC requirement and move to a wand type of method for turning lights on/off - otherwise someone will duplicate the Mk2f at a lower price than Bachmann can achieve given the cost of even a simple DCC chip.

But I think a better way for Rapido to make a splash would be to take on the GWR Toplights.  A mini-poll run last summer narrowed things down to a range that could be viable, less likely to be price sensitive the way a Mk1 offering would be, and a definite way to show off what can be done.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/02/2022 at 13:48, mdvle said:

But I think a better way for Rapido to make a splash would be to take on the GWR Toplights.  A mini-poll run last summer narrowed things down to a range that could be viable, less likely to be price sensitive the way a Mk1 offering would be, and a definite way to show off what can be done.

Well, that idea didn't last long with Dapol announcing some Toplights and hinting at more to come in the future.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/01/2022 at 13:02, jools1959 said:

I’m not sure that works.  I’d reckon if someone was a stickler for accuracy, they’d have already modified the commercially available Mk1s and detailed them.  If you’re not too bothered, why would you shell out for the marginal improvement?

What do we think the GWR wagon(s) could be? It’ll be either something that was numerous and perfunctionary like a O4 open or V4/V5 mink van, or something totally outrageous like a giant Crocodile well wagon or a set of four pollens! 

The Coopercraft range has evidently gone for good so a range of early opens and vans would be welcome; I’d take half dozen of each. 

Hmmm. 

CoY

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...