Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Pmorgancym said:

So are the 175/180 announcements I saw on Facebook a wind up??

It's Revolution, not Rapido. You'll find the information in the correct place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Arrrr. Rovex might bite the dust soon unless QC improves.

Every month this year, I keep saying "surely Rapido cannot announce something else that I must buy?" and boom "oh, some SECR wagons, I'll take 8, oh VIX vans, I'll take 2, oh an SER Brake van, I'll take......." 

They are not leaving any budget left for a David Jones goods....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What about Rapido considering that largely untapped pre grouping railway company the largest one the LNWR for rolling stock* ?

Or even the Midland Railway if “black” engines are too plain for your liking

* it would help if Bachmann were to revisit their Super D and offer it in an earlier incarnation. The Coal tank and Improved Prec  are passenger locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, rprodgers said:

What about Rapido considering that largely untapped pre grouping railway company the largest one the LNWR for rolling stock* ?

Or even the Midland Railway if “black” engines are too plain for your liking

* it would help if Bachmann were to revisit their Super D and offer it in an earlier incarnation. The Coal tank and Improved Prec  are passenger locos.

Or the 2-4-2 radial tank which lasted into the BR 1950s era.

Leamington (Avenue) Station - Locomotives: Ex-LNWR 1P 2-4-2T '5 foot 6 inch Radial Tank' No 6683 is seen standing at platform one at the head of a push-pull motor train for Daventry and Weedon (warwickshirerailways.com)

It would be pricey but just imagine this as a boxed set

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/03/2022 at 14:26, JSpencer said:

Every month this year, I keep saying "surely Rapido cannot announce something else that I must buy?" and boom "oh, some SECR wagons, I'll take 8, oh VIX vans, I'll take 2, oh an SER Brake van, I'll take......." 

They are not leaving any budget left for a David Jones goods....

What a fantastic post J Spencer.  Thank you very much.  Why ?  Quite simple.

You have just explained that you will be buying at least 11 wagons from Rapido, which is probably quite a bit more expenditure than just one locomotive.  Now I get that as do many others, so why is it left to the likes of Rapido, Cavalex, Accurascale etc etc etc to produce good quality wagons, while Hornby shun the opportunities ? Hornby already have the 21T hopper chassis from the TOPE, CLAM and RUDD and how many modellers would welcome the original and rebodied versions of this venerable hopper wagon to go with their rather excellent LNE version ?    

Continued thanks to Rapido for taking their market share from an indigenous dinosaur manufacturer.

• Like 5

Yes, many, many years ago, back in Airfix, days half-decent steel and timber 21T bodies were put on rubbish chassis - and the latter have not been bettered in R-T-R since, other than the TOPE family ......... even Roger Chivers declined to offer the chassis from his kits as a separate item when I enquired .................................. c'mon - SOMEBODY, PLEASE !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes, many, many years ago, back in Airfix, days half-decent steel and timber 21T bodies were put on rubbish chassis - and the latter have not been bettered in R-T-R since, other than the TOPE family ......... even Roger Chivers declined to offer the chassis from his kits as a separate item when I enquired .................................. c'mon - SOMEBODY, PLEASE !

According to the source for all things Chivers nowadays, the 12' underframe parts are "coming soon".

www.five79.co.uk

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I would love to see Rapido do an ex GC J10 0-6-0. They appeared throughout the Midlands, North West, Lincs to N Wales, East Anglia and into the Metropolis on the London Extension. Just a thought...... 

Alastair M 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/03/2022 at 14:36, Covkid said:

Or the 2-4-2 radial tank which lasted into the BR 1950s era.

Leamington (Avenue) Station - Locomotives: Ex-LNWR 1P 2-4-2T '5 foot 6 inch Radial Tank' No 6683 is seen standing at platform one at the head of a push-pull motor train for Daventry and Weedon (warwickshirerailways.com)

It would be pricey but just imagine this as a boxed set

The 2-4-2 radials were such a long lived feature of the Birmingham and Black Country LNWR network as well, I've even seen a photo of one in Llandrindod Wells with a through Euston portion so were no stranger to Wales and the LNWR network of branches. 

The LNWR is an open goal for any newcomer to the UK market with a distinctive style, and coaching stock which survived for quite a few years.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2022 at 14:47, Covkid said:

What a fantastic post J Spencer.  Thank you very much.  Why ?  Quite simple.

You have just explained that you will be buying at least 11 wagons from Rapido, which is probably quite a bit more expenditure than just one locomotive.  Now I get that as do many others, so why is it left to the likes of Rapido, Cavalex, Accurascale etc etc etc to produce good quality wagons, while Hornby shun the opportunities ? Hornby already have the 21T hopper chassis from the TOPE, CLAM and RUDD and how many modellers would welcome the original and rebodied versions of this venerable hopper wagon to go with their rather excellent LNE version ?    

Continued thanks to Rapido for taking their market share from an indigenous dinosaur manufacturer.

TBF, Hornby can and do make some very decent wagons, notably SR cattle wagons (two kinds!) plus LSWR, LMS, GWR and LNER brake vans in recent times. Just not enough good new stuff.

If they make more, I'll happily buy theirs AND Rapido's (only got three of those so far, but several more on pre-order).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

TBF, Hornby can and do make some very decent wagons, notably SR cattle wagons (two kinds!) plus LSWR, LMS, GWR and LNER brake vans in recent times. Just not enough good new stuff.

If they make more, I'll happily buy theirs AND Rapido's (only got three of those so far, but several more on pre-order).

John

Yes agreed.  but what kind of market is there for cattle wagons ? they certainly don't fit into my mid 1960s into early 1970s transition era, whereas any 1960s survivor old hopper open or van would. 

Brakevans ? yes, my Hornby Stanier and BR standard 20 tonners, along with a smattering of NE 21 tonner and coke hoppers pretty much complete my fleet alongside the products from Bachmann, Accurascale and Rapido.   

Come on Hornby, at least offer Rapido some competition !!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Yes agreed.  but what kind of market is there for cattle wagons ? they certainly don't fit into my mid 1960s into early 1970s transition era, whereas any 1960s survivor old hopper open or van would. 

Brakevans ? yes, my Hornby Stanier and BR standard 20 tonners, along with a smattering of NE 21 tonner and coke hoppers pretty much complete my fleet alongside the products from Bachmann, Accurascale and Rapido.   

In the area and period I model, hoppers, other than the ballast sort, were very thin on the ground.

Cattle wagons were slightly more plentiful, and if I modelled the WR main line up from Cornwall in the broccoli season I'd need dozens of the blighters! 🙂

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Covkid said:

A lot more demand than you would think. Like horseboxes, they sell. BR built thousands of them.

Are you sure about them not fitting into the 1960s and 1970s? I'm pretty sure the last Cattle Wagons went in the 1970s, used for cattle from Ireland via Holyhead. Certainly seen photos of them being pulled by BR Blue Rats. 

1972 according to Paul Bartlett's website.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcattle

Some being pulled here by a 9F!

And loads of them being used for broccoli traffic with a Castle. Both 1960s.

https://www.steve-banks.org/modelling/135-br-cattle-wagon

GWR 28XX 1960s.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1264.htm

Jason

• Like 2

On 11/04/2022 at 11:42, gelboy45 said:

Following on from the K Pullmans an n scale Wagon Lits and Fourgon set for the Night Ferry could be an idea.  That is, after the Bullied 4 Sub that is desperately awaiting scanning! 

Gerry

Like many others, I keep my fingers crossed that somebody (maybe Rapido, given their skills with rolling stock) will produce the Type F sleeper coach and 4w fourgon wagon in OO to go behind the various “boat train” engines available. Unlike Hornby’s Pullman coaches - which have different models for salons,

dining cars and brake coaches - only a single coach type is needed together with a single fourgon wagon, making for relatively low tooling costs (I guess - one vehicle as opposed to several variants?). Seems (to me) to be a wide open hole in the market, because so many modellers use Rule #1 to justify a train with unusual coaches/liveries and what is there not to like about the blue Wagon-Lits colour scheme?

I am submitting the idea to them - if only we had an idea of what Hornby might be planning to avoid costly duplication… then again, they have had the opportunity for years and not taken it up, like they are still using the old Triang moulds for the ferry vans (which they should have updated years ago and have now lost out with others stepping up instead).

Steve S

• Like 1

Here's an off the wall suggestion - a BRUFF road-railer, and some Leyland-Daf trackside lorries and crew buses from the late 80s and 90s.  Base Toys have the 60s and 70s covered with their Leyland FG "Parrot" trucks and crew buses, and have a Leyland Redline flatbed and Ford A series truck in BR Yellow, but there's very little for the late 80s to 90s.  Oxford haven't done anything since the Bedford TK and Sherpa crew bus so given Rapido like their quirky and buses, perhaps they might consider these.

The BRUFF could, with some clever design, even be made to run on rail, and there's one over on the Downpatrick railway that was built for NIR which could be scanned.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

With the announcement of the a complete SECR goods train I wonder if rapido will follow it up with an O1. Ones preserved, some escaped into light railway ownership, because of how light they was they got everywhere, very long lived and it has the all important fully lined SECR livery. 
Plus it does me a favour as it’ll be perfect for my new project I have planned. 

Big James

• Like 5