New n gauge Mk3 loco hauled coaches coming from Dapol?

Kris

7 hours ago, markw said:

The prototypes had an extra toilet type  window that the production versions didn't, does the Dapol tooling cover this variation?

mk3a-rfm-10200-18-11-08_orig.jpg

mk3a-rfm-10203-22-07-06-2_orig.jpg

This picture of the previous release of the model on the Hattons site seems to suggest that it does. it's actually fortuneous that these questions have been raised as I was looking at this yesterday and I was wondering if the lack of a first class stripe was accurate?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/69087/dapol_2p_005_111_mk_3_excutive_buffet_10258_loco_hauled/stockdetail

2P-005-111_3003294_Qty1_2.jpg

18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

This picture of the previous release of the model on the Hattons site seems to suggest that it does. it's actually fortuneous that these questions have been raised as I was looking at this yesterday and I was wondering if the lack of a first class stripe was accurate?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/69087/dapol_2p_005_111_mk_3_excutive_buffet_10258_loco_hauled/stockdetail

2P-005-111_3003294_Qty1_2.jpg

Hallo,

See my post on page 2 with pics of an example of the coach without the first class stripe.

Also my post with a link to a YouTube clip of an example with the first class stripe. 

es grüßt

pc 

• Thanks 1

On 25/01/2024 at 21:18, markw said:

The prototypes had an extra toilet type  window that the production versions didn't, does the Dapol tooling cover this variation?

mk3a-rfm-10200-18-11-08_orig.jpg

mk3a-rfm-10203-22-07-06-2_orig.jpg

I’d never noticed this before. Makes the choices of running number even more tricky for Dapol assuming there are no changes to the tooling.

Maybe a low numbered production example like 10202 or 10203 would be the best idea for the Executive livery model?

Cheers, Tom R.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Fully you should mention that. I've just stopped drooling over the new Farish IC Charter Open Firsts. Not sure about getting anything else in the current production run but can certainly ask the question after Chinese New Year.

And the slightest thought about green sleepers hasn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

And the slightest thought about green sleepers hasn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind...

If you do some more green sleepers Adam, can you take a look at the artwork please. Relative to the green HST, the printing is vertically stretched meaning they don't match. Very noticeable if you put them side by side, say if you wanted to use a TGS vice BFO, or a buffet with the sleepers.

Jo

On 07/02/2024 at 20:35, Adam1701D said:

Fully you should mention that. I've just stopped drooling over the new Farish IC Charter Open Firsts. Not sure about getting anything else in the current production run but can certainly ask the question after Chinese New Year.

Thing with the white roof ones is that one often appeared in the normal Inverness or Aberdeen trains and also the Charter sets often had one without the white roof. Mixing them is fairly prototypical.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 24/07/2023 at 22:24, The Pilotman said:

Indeed it is! In the InterCity era Pullman rakes appeared in the West Country on Summer Saturday cross country services so these coaches wouldn’t just appeal to WCML modellers. 

Isn't that what this train is as the formation seems very Pullman-esque?

Summer Saturday extra.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Isn't that what this train is as the formation seems very Pullman-esque?

Summer Saturday extra.

Yes, that’s a WCML Pullman rake. On close inspection you can see that some, if not all, of the first class Mk3s in the rear half of the train have names on the red body-side stripe. 

• Thanks 1

Adam has just updated the Dapol Digest and it seems that we are all going to having to wait at least another 4-8 months. That's a shame as I wanted to buy some Executive MK3s to help me make up a Manchester Pullman rake and the original ETA was Q2 2024.

"The standalone Mk3 DVTs and the Chiltern / DB trainpacks should be with in July. The loco-hauled Mk3s should arrive between October and January in different batches."

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Nice. Sadly I don't think Dapol are releasing any I/C Pullman liveried Mk3 FO and there's no RKB (or other refurbished restaurant/buffet) available to run with the Mk3.

My re-creation of this set runs with a Farish RMB - I get no end of complaints from the first class passengers!

Steven B

Edited by Steven B
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

Nice. Sadly I don't think Dapol are releasing any I/C Pullman liveried Mk3 FO and there's no RKB (or other refurbished restaurant/buffet) available to run with the Mk3.

My re-creation of this set runs with a Farish RMB - I get no end of complaints from the first class passengers!

Steven B

Well Adam did imply that they would be doing them at some point.

"No BFOs, I'm afraid. Hadn't thought about doing the Mk3B Pullmans, which is actually a rather good idea. Not sure if can fit it into the schedule now but could be a winner for a future batch."

Funnily enough I've also bought a Farish RMB in Executive livery to stand in the RKB when I build my Pullman train.

20 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Well Adam did imply that they would be doing them at some point.

"No BFOs, I'm afraid. Hadn't thought about doing the Mk3B Pullmans, which is actually a rather good idea. Not sure if can fit it into the schedule now but could be a winner for a future batch."

Funnily enough I've also bought a Farish RMB in Executive livery to stand in the RKB when I build my Pullman train.

You suggest Adam said they WOULD which means it is definite, but your quote uses the word COULD, that means its a maybe for a future run. So he has not said they are sadly, lets hope they can for another time

• RMweb Premium

Good new on the DVTs at least, need one for my LSL charter rake, and some "My Lovely Horse" nameplates!

Does anyone know if the LSL coaches are darker than the Falcon grey(?) Swallow used to be? I know they don't have silver window surrounds, and perhaps that's why. But to my mind they look a lot darker than the Dapol Swallow coaches. Basically black. Picture from Flickr, credit Will Swain.

LSL MK3 11077

image.png.ea005cc0aa1ff2010c878eeb511704b2.png

On 20/06/2024 at 01:34, montyburns56 said:

Another Summer Saturday Pullman train

31455+31466

Although a bit of a niche coach only built in small numbers, I reckon an RTR RKB would actually sell quite well…they featured in top link WCML and ECML expresses for decades and, as illustrated here, they continued to be used well into the Mk3 InterCity Executive livery era in small numbers, and with exotic traction too. The number of liveries carried isn’t too diverse with nearly 30 yrs covered by BR Maroon, Blue Grey, and Executive. Add in E1524 in reverse blue grey for the prototype HST. I’d buy several!

In N the market is probably bigger for an RB(R) but I’d wager both would sell.

Sorry for the wishlisting!

Tom.

Edited by tiger
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, tiger said:

Although a bit of a niche coach only built in small numbers, I reckon an RTR RKB would actually sell quite well…they featured in top link WCML and ECML expresses for decades and, as illustrated here, they continued to be used well into the Mk3 InterCity Executive livery era in small numbers, and with exotic traction too. The number of liveries carried isn’t too diverse with nearly 30 yrs covered by BR Maroon, Blue Grey, and Executive. Add in E1524 in reverse blue grey for the prototype HST. I’d buy several!

In N the market is probably bigger for an RB(R) but I’d wager both would sell.

Sorry for the wishlisting!

Tom.

I did a poll last year and it did suggest that an RBR would be the most popular with an RKB being next, but I suspect that it would be a slightly risky model for anyone to make. The forthcoming Bachmann RBR probably means that they may produce one for N gauge at some point in the future.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

They could do with releasing some early executive livery loco hauled mk3s to go with the upcoming class 87s.

They are going to and unbelievably it will actually be the first time that they've been produced correctly in this livery as the last time they did some they had InterCity 125 markings on them!

2P-005-133_1591748_Qty1_1.jpg

19 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

They are going to and unbelievably it will actually be the first time that they've been produced correctly in this livery as the last time they did some they had InterCity 125 markings on them!

2P-005-133_1591748_Qty1_1.jpg

Hope the stripes are the correct depth then, unlike this one (and ignoring the 125 logo)...

Later.

Stu from EGDL

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

They could do with releasing some early executive livery loco hauled mk3s to go with the upcoming class 87s.

Is there a currently announced 87 that would have worked with I/C Exec' Mk3s? 

The combinations of pantograph, liveries and TDM cables leave a big gap within the classes lifespan (approx. mid 1980s-1993).

As an example, '017 Iron Duke didn't get the proposed version of Swallow until 1993. 87 002 Royal Sovereign received the livery  three years earlier.

Steven B

• RMweb Gold

I have posted the artwork for the new loco-hauled Mk3 batch on the Dapol Digest, HERE.

The InterCity Executive / Swallow liveries have been totally redrawn and this will also be applied to any matching locos, such as the 87 to keep everything consistent in future.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Steven B said:

Is there a currently announced 87 that would have worked with I/C Exec' Mk3s? 

The combinations of pantograph, liveries and TDM cables leave a big gap within the classes lifespan (approx. mid 1980s-1993).

As an example, '017 Iron Duke didn't get the proposed version of Swallow until 1993. 87 002 Royal Sovereign received the livery  three years earlier.

Steven B

87012 Coeur De Lion and 87006 in large logo.