New structure for British railways

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

I guess including the Union Jack varied spacing it incorporates the national flag. 

C981681E-9E68-498D-A228-7F90B53D7FB8.jpeg.dedba07577eb41034517b2f9bc4308b0.jpeg

I suspect this means that can leave the arrows as a station sign as it is too if they don’t get carried away with it. 

Edited by PaulRhB

Ouch!

They've taken two things that each works very well as a symbol, and melded them together to make something that, to me at least, looks far too busy and uncomfortable, and will either dictate, or get in the way of, whatever livery is applied to trains.

Messy.

How does Northern Ireland fit into all this, BTW?

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

How does Northern Ireland fit into all this, BTW?

... as in, the St Patrick saltire is in there?

Once the bridge is built, there will be through running with full integration of the Northern Ireland railways into Great British Railways...

(I know, I know... Just remember that obtruding inconvenient facts marks you down as unpatriotic!) 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... as in, the St Patrick saltire is in there?

Once the bridge is built, there will be through running with full integration of the Northern Ireland railways into Great British Railways...

(I know, I know... Just remember that obtruding inconvenient facts marks you down as unpatriotic!) 

The Spanish Railways have a system that allows drive-through gauge conversion on trains equipped with it.

The imaginary bridge is more likely to be the problem.:jester:

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The Spanish Railways have a system that allows drive-through gauge conversion on trains equipped with it.

The imaginary bridge is more likely to be the problem.:jester:

John

Bring back the NCC and call the whole shebang the Midland Railway.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I can see nany Scots along with some Northern Irish, Welsh and Cornish being annoyed. Whilst they are part of the union and (Cornish excepted) enjoy levels of self-determination the desire for full independence remains strong with some. 

I guess the owner of the original BR double arrow might want more money for its use than the design consultants asked for the new version 

1 hour ago, number6 said:

That is a terrible job. It hurts my eyes and at smaller scales just going to be a mess. It’s like a bad print job where one colour has shifted. Maybe just a metaphor for the whole process… 

D33B7F11-CCCF-409D-9DDD-E1626CD16C22.jpeg

Let's not mess about here, whilst the font is acceptable the symbol is CRAP!!!

Davey

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

Presumably this will replace the current double arrow to denote stations on signposts, maps, etc.  I think it looks ok, very patriotic which may conflict with with those on one side of a certain referendum some years ago.......which incidentally I had no part of being out of the country since the end of BR!

1 hour ago, number6 said:

That is a terrible job. It hurts my eyes and at smaller scales just going to be a mess. It’s like a bad print job where one colour has shifted. Maybe just a metaphor for the whole process… 

D33B7F11-CCCF-409D-9DDD-E1626CD16C22.jpeg

Yuh, as a former press operator myself, that logo fills me with dread on anything but a multicolour press. Literally no room for manoeuvre in terms of registration. 

Are the colours mentioned in the spec anywhere? Red looks like Pantone 032 or 100Y/100M. Blue is very dark, Pantone 281 or maybe 289 so 100C/60M/20K ish? Pantone 300 might've looked nicer.

C6T. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

I think it looks ok, very patriotic which may conflict with with those on one side of a certain referendum some years ago.

Understandably perhaps, given that you appear to be on a different continent, you seem to be getting deeply, deeply confused about what that referendum was about.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The logo is a design-illiterate mess.  Frank Pick would be turning in his grave.

Looks like it was knocked up by one of Shapps' SPADs in their lunchtime using Microsoft Paint and a cheap scanner.  What on earth was wrong with the simple double arrow symbol, perhaps in a box, plus the name of the organisation?

Richard T

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Understandably perhaps, given that you appear to be on a different continent, you seem to be getting deeply, deeply confused about what that referendum was about.

To be fair, Jeff maybe referring to the Land north of Berwick referendum Kev, not the bollox on a bus one? Or you are...my head hurts!

Either way, when Anglia breaks away from the Union we'll have our nice turquoise liveries back thankyouverymuch.

C6T. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Classsix T said:

To be fair, Jeff maybe referring to the Land north of Berwick referendum Kev, not the bollox on a bus one? Or you are...my head hurts!

Good point. I leapt to the conclusion, perhaps wrongly, that he was talking about the Lands Across The Channel one.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Good point. I leapt to the conclusion, perhaps wrongly, that he was talking about the Lands Across The Channel one.

They have taken this one the whole nine yards really.  The normal Tory fixation that British means English... Because of course this Great British Railways only pertains to the franchises running within England because of the devolved administrations having direct control of their railways.

• Agree 3

On 10/02/2022 at 21:50, corneliuslundie said:

I can't imagine it being used on stations in Wales and Scotland which are responsible for their own internal railways - but not "international" ones of course. If it is I can imagine some pretty strong words from Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Jonathan

They'll likely continue using the old logo as that exists within Railtrack's purview does it not?  [Brain fart, meant Network Rail...obviously... well maybe not so obviously to a penguin of little brain like myself...]

Edited by frobisher
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, frobisher said:

They have taken this one the whole nine yards really.  The normal Tory fixation that British means English... Because of course this Great British Railways only pertains to the franchises running within England because of the devolved administrations having direct control of their railways.

(just hoping Mr. York's banhammer doesn't come down too visiously on this, not that I don't disagree)

C6T. 

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, frobisher said:

39 minutes ago, frobisher said:

They'll likely continue using the old logo as that exists within Railtrack's purview does it not? 

I'm assuming the proposed organisation included Network Rail who currently own the railways in England, Scotland and Wales.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh no.

It's just a mess.  I was told at a talk last night by Sir Peter Hendy (chairman of Network Rail) that the 'new' logo was produced with the help of some of those from the DRU who worked on BR's original corporate identity.

I cannot believe any of them would've signed off on this.  

I am struggling to find anything good about it at all.  It is not going to sit well on vehicles, it is meaningless to large parts of the union (if the flag thing is meant to represent that) and if you want to turn the union flag into an arrow BEA did it far better on the tailplanes of its Tridents about half a century ago.

It is quite impressive in one sense - it has found a way for literally every single element in it to somehow clash with the others.

Perhaps they should've copied EWS and opened up the logo design to a public competition, or better still asked MIke Denny/Roundel to have a bash.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

Presumably this will replace the current double arrow to denote stations on signposts, maps, etc.  I think it looks ok, very patriotic which may conflict with with those on one side of a certain referendum some years ago.......which incidentally I had no part of being out of the country since the end of BR!

It won't, the station signage is in the process of being redone using the Rail Alphabet 2 protocols which are remarkably similar to the 1970s BR style.

Unfortunately, the new railway structure has not been given the freedom to create it's own identity as it is caught in a Government proxy war with the devolved nations. So we'll just (for now) have to grit our teeth for now. Then again, it took British Railways 17 years from inception in 1948 to the point where it could create a complete and coherent identity (and however nostalgic you may feel about steam era BR, the visual identities for station signage, locos, rolling stock etc were very disjointed. I mean, green engines with maroon coaches?).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Actually, although being an ex-pat since 1988 I would happily have added my Non vote but couldn't.  However there are a number of Euro nations that still have nationalized railway systems that I think are still a good idea.

By the way I now have a nice blue British passport that matches my blue US passport.........

Edited by Jeff Smith
Adding trivia......
  • Like 1