RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Alan Oliver said:

the upside down 8 is correct was delivered that way 

Yeah that was what I was referencing, as it's mightily impressive they picked up on that!

4 minutes ago, richscylla said:

Wonder how many of them will compare the Cavalex 56 to the real locomotive and how many will just compare it to the Hornby one? Or even to a Bachmann or Accurascale recent release? I'm sure it will do very well on all fronts, but only one is really relevant. 

In truth Rich. I don't know although it was 2015 when I had a Class 56 in Colas Rail last with sound. I went with DCR because I have never had that livery or operator on any model before except the Cappagh 60028 model from 2021. So its a new livery and a new model to review and to remove any bias. I left England in 2017 so I have nothing to compare it to so my review is based on the locomotive itself and I do the four categories of Details & Features, Performance, Quality and Price and where there is anything lacking on those criterias, that's where I take off a point or so. But my reviews are neutral and I do them to help the community where I can as I like to help people. The feelings I am getting is that this model could match or exceed the predecessors of said model of the Class 56 prototype. I am optimistic that my Class 56 will fit right at home with the TEA tankers I recently bagged as well.  

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Bracing myself for the YouTube reviews .

” packaging is really nice and it has great detail”.

I knew something was missing from my life, I have yet to see a photo of the box!!!!!!

• Funny 2

11 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

Did a 56 and a Western even run at the same time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Such a shame really, still there is always. rule 1.

But their are other olduns you can run them along side.

(taken from pinterest)

New & Old 56056 ,44004 , 1979.jpg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Don't forget the snazzy self proclaiming graphics and 60 seconds intro.....then today's vision is sponsored by......?

Everyone thinks there George lucas 

(No individual yt content creator targeted!)

Use to watch a canals blog that was well filmed and informative then suddenly....today's vid sponsor is....! Boom off button.

• Funny 1

On 24/01/2024 at 19:53, RBE said:

It's decorated as per the real loco, as are all of our models, in the condition that it was delivered in the mid 70s. When 008 arrived in the country it had BR blue handrails and the 8 had been applied upside down. 

So is my 56 a one off.

With upside down 8s at both ends & no blue cab handrails.

just asking, you not getting it back.

Very pleased.

14 minutes ago, Ray M said:

So is my 56 a one off.

Very pleased.

Not sure what you are asking?

55 minutes ago, Ray M said:

So is my 56 a one off.

Very pleased.

Glad you’re pleased with 008! 

We changed the handrails on the final models to have a longer timespan for modellers. Should have blue handrails on the front of the loco and white handrails on the side.

A quick Flickr search looks like bodyside handrails being white post ‘77 hence the choice to change from blue to white. 

Hope that helps! 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Here it is in the condition seen on the model, barring the silver buffers from its stint on the Melton Mowbray Pieman.

56008 Trowell 13Sep77

Photo David Hayes Flickr

Edited by RBE
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I asked RoS when my 56 is likely to be dispatched & charged for.

Their response was "this is by far the largest pre-order we have seen, and it is taking a little while. you should have your 56 in the next few days."

Wow!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, reddragon said:

I asked RoS when my 56 is likely to be dispatched & charged for.

Their response was "this is by far the largest pre-order we have seen, and it is taking a little while. you should have your 56 in the next few days."

Wow!

Impressive. I think the Cavalex guys referred earlier to delivering two truck loads to RoS.

• Like 1

Just had my Loadhaul 56 delivered from Rails by DPD

Wont have a chance to open yet but look forward to trying it out later.

Just finished paying the balance with Rainbow Railways so hopefully will be getting some more soon.

Baz

• Like 1

On 24/01/2024 at 22:53, RBE said:

That was as soon as it was announced. It's been just over 2.5 years from sending the CADs for tooling to delivery which we feel is very good going especially with the issues in China.

It was actually a very timely announcement as I had placed a pre-order for the Hornby version, which was late but had just started to arrive. Anyway I managed to cancel that pre-order and move it over to the Cavalex version. Being able to order a model with factory fitted sound is a significant differentiator for me provided its reasonably priced. I'm quite surprised how buoyant the analogue market still is, unless people are fitting their own decoders, be interesting to see the figures in terms of how many models actually end up being run on DC.

Edited by APT Fan

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

"Me too".......................

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting to finally see the box. Looks like an Accurascale size one. Great for protection, less great for storage 😄

Although, with some custom inserts these AS/Cav boxes could be used for storing a fair few stock items 😉

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

I have finally got round to weathering the 56 that Will left me on his visit a few months back. He did say I could weather it. 😁

I found a pic from 1982 when it appears 008 is still in original condition.

Cheers peter 

20240126_213225.jpg

20240126_213311.jpg

20240126_213430.jpg

20240126_213501.jpg

20240126_213602.jpg

Ohhhhhhj nice...change number to 004 and that was the regular loco left at Garston for driver basic training (1st time it had been used for such on LM! As un fitted and vac stock where so last year! Then had to run conversion class for us for vac and unfitted...so was last c56 initial driver training) also we had a dedicated empty rake of 32 HEA hoppers for our training trips for practical handling as there where 12 of us to get trained

Photo below is the 3 driver instructor's for practical handling 

Left Don buckley Ellesmere port instructor top man loads of tails from the past always brought you a kit kat to have with your brew on way to crewe ! Middle and left Kenny and Stan ....Kenny was a take your time chap Stan made you attack! Signals and late brake!💩😳🙈 

Don was my main DI on first day he arrived at depot on a CBR 600 doing a wheely over the level crossing to the depot! He use to in his youth race in IoM TT!😃💩

20240126_113340.jpg

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Tis a nice model. Very nice presentation. Shame about the roof rad grilles though, what has happened there? And roof colour on the ttg example is too light.

56 grilles a.jpg

56 grilles.jpg

56080.jpg

The roof rad grilles represent the fact that the real ones are spaced off of the roof not bolted on directly. There is daylight under the real ones and as such there is under ours. 

The roof colour is not too light it is the exact spec for the livery from BR Railfreight. You cannot judge a colour from a photograph.

Picture of the same models from a different angle. See it's much darker.

IMG_20240126_115918.jpg

Edited by RBE
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2