RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Ravel said:

Surely this is basic DCC logic, things like lights you want to latch and horns momentary or have I misunderstood your question?

No. For example, some horns are momentary, some latching, so the question is relevant as it depends on how the sound file has been designed. 

Roy

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

No. For example, some horns are momentary, some latching, so the question is relevant as it depends on how the sound file has been designed. 

Roy

And controllers such as the GM prodigy only have a momentary F2 key. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

Exactly, air valves and compressors do they time out or are they continuous? Same with flange noises (manual), do you press every time you want the noise or is it a continuous random sound? All my Hornby and Bachmann factory fitted sound instructions define whether the functions should be latched or momentary. Hornby TTS instructions are very detailed explaining exactly what the sound function does.

7 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

Exactly, air valves and compressors do they time out or are they continuous? Same with flange noises (manual), do you press every time you want the noise or is it a continuous random sound? All my Hornby and Bachmann factory fitted sound instructions define whether the functions should be latched or momentary. Hornby TTS instructions are very detailed explaining exactly what the sound function does.

That's all well and good but every controller doesn't have the ability to choose. My Prodigy for instance only has momentary on F2 so that's that. All of the sounds except the horns and brake should be latching really though. The compressor works automatically anyway but can be put on constant using the function, the manual flange squeal will do it's thing whilever it's engaged but it's not a constant screech so works well as a latched function and is also loco speed dependent as to what sounds it plays, it plays none over a certain speed as well. 

To be honest though we just assumed that people would set up their equipment as they see fit after playing with how the sounds worked. 

Edited by RBE
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Hornby model was quite reasonable - but what the fudge did Hornby do with the roof grills ? Why are they recessed ?

IMG_9555.png

Back when the Hornby model came out the novelty of being able to view a separate fan through a grille was I think enough to distract them from actually making the grille prototypical. I've still got a couple of Hornby 56s which are really pretty good for their time, however the Cavalex one is bang up to date in all sorts of areas that we're now coming to expect - proper, configurable lighting in warm tones where appropriate; servo-driven fans; and a tooling suite coupled with research that accurately matches the specific build of a loco to the livery and detail variants. We've come a long way!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, carefreeroz said:

Many thanks!

I remember the arguments about whether seeing a loco in works with the number "chalked on" counted as a "cop" - especially after the Donny Works open day on 15/06/78 where there were many 56's under construction in just such a condition - and to which most of my spotting mates went but I went on the DAA "Chopper" railtour the same day instead - involving 3 different pairs of 20's - 🤸‍♂️ !!!

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/70s/780617da.html

Edited by Southernman46

My first one, 56070 in original blue, arrived from Rails today. Only changes I have made are CV2=1, CV3=200 and CV4=150 - and dimmed the cab lights. It runs superbly, and looks and performs like a 123 ton loco should. The sound files are excellent with plenty of bass and volume. The horns are worthy of note with just the right amount of echo, and even the shut down procedure is complete and doesn't fizzle out part way as many others do. Get one while you can. Well done Cavalex - just wow !

Ahh, the vagaries of the Postal system. Having got nothing in the post this morning I was resigned to waiting until at least Monday however about 5pm a mail van pulled up outside and a parcel was bought to my door. From the shape of it I guessed what it was so I sat down and eagerly removed the contents, my preordered 56120. The box is rather orange 😂 but I like the line drawings which I prefer to looking through a window at a model distorted by a clamshell. I much prefer the plastic base which the model is screwed to, I dislike clamshells and have done since first encountering one on a Marklin loco over 20 years a go. The model itself is a real beauty, right up there with anything on the market today and whatever angle I look at it I’m so impressed with what I see. I’m really looking forward to having the time to run it properly, based on the videos I’ve seen it’s more than powerful enough to haul what I can put behind it and from me a big thumbs up for the floating middle axle which should ensure smooth progress through point work.

All in all a big thumbs up and hopefully Monday will see t’other one arrive, for their first locomotive Cavalex have done an amazing job 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Loving my sound fitted 56120. This really has the wow factor for me. Far too clean though. Weathering in due course. 
Very well done to the team at Cavalex.

• Friendly/supportive 1

43 minutes ago, tlm said:

My first one, 56070 in original blue, arrived from Rails today. Only changes I have made are CV2=1, CV3=200 and CV4=150 - and dimmed the cab lights. It runs superbly, and looks and performs like a 123 ton loco should. The sound files are excellent with plenty of bass and volume. The horns are worthy of note with just the right amount of echo, and even the shut down procedure is complete and doesn't fizzle out part way as many others do. Get one while you can. Well done Cavalex - just wow !

Glad that you like it. Can I ask what you changed the cab lights to as we went pretty dim already, you should have seen them on the first iteration of the file! You needed Oppenheimer's goggles to drive it  🤣. No issue doing so of course.

3 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

Has anyone got a fct list for non sound versions ie where the cab lights and headlight/tail lights on /off options have been placed?

We recommend a custom programmed lokpilot. Richard at Road and Rails is currently working on one I believe and so are we.

4 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

ok thanks.. I have a few decoders around and may experiment or one option is a HM7000 sound decoder which has Aux fcts on 21-24.. I believe

The issue is that the lighting set up has lights on various aux inputs which obviously can be assigned their functions differently inside the chip rather than the loco depending on the decoder. Without using a correctly set up decoder the functions selectable will be limited to basic defaults.

Edited by RBE

43 minutes ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I have done an unofficial review of my example. I really love the model and thank goodness for no opening doors to boot! I appreciate the new model, thank you. 

I gave this nice model a 9 out of 10. Great work! 

Looks like the MU receptacle has fallen off one end. 

22 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Cracking shot...what in the heck is a steam tender on a depot in 1984...was it for water supply? And what tender was it from?

Looks like an LNER standard six-wheel. No idea why it was still around. 

27 minutes ago, Denny said:

Looks like the MU receptacle has fallen off one end. 

Yes I picked them up and now fixed them on with PVA and added most of the pipes to the pilot at the front end. I did the name boards with PVA glue as well as the tape didn't work out so well for me. so most of them are secure. Just got the white hoses to add and that's all done. I am glad I got one :). 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My 56023 is happily trundling away on the rolling road.....

Looks fantastic to me.....😄

On a completely unrelated note, I have just decided to look for pics of 56013 when it took a little trip down to The Duchy in 1990......😜

Cheers,

Phil.

30 minutes ago, Marcoblanco said:

ok thanks.. I have a few decoders around and may experiment or one option is a HM7000 sound decoder which has Aux fcts on 21-24.. I believe

You'll need a decoder with a minimum of 8 outputs by the looks of it. Cabs x 2, head lights (4 off) x 2, Spotlights x 2, tail lights (4 off) x 2. In the past I've used the Dapol Imperium 3 for such an application but the LokPliot is a similar spec and price. I'd go with whatever the manufacturer recommends, so if that's a LokPilot then go with that - make sure its the correct version. I fitted the Dapol Imperium 3 into a Dapol O gauge 121 at their recommendation, they also stated that a v2 decoder did not have enough outputs for all the lighting functions.

It looks like the Hornby HM7000 has at least 8 outputs, I thought I'd read that not all can be DCC controlled, only Bluetooth which sounds a bit odd, so I'd check that as I might be misreading it.

7 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

You'll need a decoder with a minimum of 8 outputs by the looks of it. Cabs x 2, head lights (4 off) x 2, Spotlights x 2, tail lights (4 off) x 2. In the past I've used the Dapol Imperium 3 for such an application but the LokPliot is a similar spec and price. I'd go with whatever the manufacturer recommends, so if that's a LokPilot then go with that - make sure its the correct version. I fitted the Dapol Imperium 3 into a Dapol O gauge 121 at their recommendation, they also stated that a v2 decoder did not have enough outputs for all the lighting functions.

It looks like the Hornby HM7000 has at least 8 outputs, I thought I'd read that not all can be DCC controlled, only Bluetooth which sounds a bit odd, so I'd check that as I might be misreading it.

This issue with sourcing alternative decoders is whether the functions are set up on the decoder to control the functions on the loco correctly. The Loksounds that we will do will be set up properly with a list of functions.  No reason that you can't do the same at home if you have equipment that can program functions on the decoder.