RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, GBRf 66 The Flying Dustman said:

It’s a fantastic model for detail and the sound file if you don’t mind me asking why didn’t the cab lights fade off before the loco moved off and come back on when you stopped, as they are currently on all the time 

I know this seems to be a common ‘feature’ with decoders, and probably works fine for many people.

But, I have a depot layout for my DCC loco’s, and the cab lights going on and off with every move looks ridiculous!!

The one’s that I know how to change the cab lights to work from a function button, I have done….

Not saying either is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’, just that the manufacturers can’t please everyone all the time….

My 56023 looks stunning, and did 2 1/2 hours on my rolling road last yesterday, and never missed a beat….😃

Many thanks Cavalex.

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Phil Mc said:

I know this seems to be a common ‘feature’ with decoders, and probably works fine for many people.

But, I have a depot layout for my DCC loco’s, and the cab lights going on and off with every move looks ridiculous!!

The one’s that I know how to change the cab lights to work from a function button, I have done….

Not saying either is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’, just that the manufacturers can’t please everyone all the time….

My 56023 looks stunning, and did 2 1/2 hours on my rolling road last yesterday, and never missed a beat….😃

Many thanks Cavalex.

Cheers,

Phil.

We have set up the 56 as a driver experience, and as such the driver turns the lights on and off on the real one so does on the model. You are right we can't please everyone and for sure we have made decisions based on how we want the loco to drive (having an ex driver as a consultant on this) which may not line up with what you (the customers) are used to.

In real life the cab light is rarely used so having it going on and off every time you stop is a very odd request. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I got a email from rail’s saying just been dispatched. A little disappointed hoping it would have turn up yesterday evening. But at least I knew it was on ts way and would arrive on Monday. 

Unlocked the front door and sitting in the porch is a brown wrapped parcel. 

oh wow I’m over the moon, it’s just packed with detail. 

IMG_2489.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just received my clutch of Cavalex 56's from John Dutfield models this morning via Personal Delivery which is service above and beyond IMHO, especially as there is a slight matter of the Dartford Crossing between locations !!!

Many many Thanks to Ken and Heather for stunning and superb service.

1st one out of the box is 56120, which will be on the work bench soon to see some weathering so it can pull my rake of Accurascale Cawoods PFA's and hopefully allow it to look something similar to the pictures I have of it running through the Old Manchester Victoria on a loaded export coal service from way back in the mists of time.  

Still got the biggest grin on my chops at the quality of this model! 

Meld.

20240128_092737.jpg

Edited by meld
Spelling and grammar
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, RBE said:

We have set up the 56 as a driver experience, and as such the driver turns the lights on and off on the real one so does on the model. You are right we can't please everyone and for sure we have made decisions based on how we want the loco to drive (having an ex driver as a consultant on this) which may not line up with what you (the customers) are used to.

In real life the cab light is rarely used so having it going on and off every time you stop is a very odd request. 

if you wanted the real driver experience you need the engine room lights on so it shines through the door porthole window illuminating the speedo! 

the photoluminescent speedos are awful at night, you can barely see it which is strange as all the other dials are illuminated! I think some of the current 56s on the network have had illuminated speedos retro fitted though 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 minutes ago, big jim said:

if you wanted the real driver experience you need the engine room lights on so it shines through the door porthole window illuminating the speedo! 

the photoluminescent speedos are awful at night, you can barely see it which is strange as all the other dials are illuminated! I think some of the current 56s on the network have had illuminated speedos retro fitted though 

Yeah one of the reasons we didn't bother with illuminated dials was that our consultant driver said not to bother as you couldn't see them in the cab let alone from outside it!! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

Hi All,

Looking forward to receiving my DCC ready version of 56,093.

As I could only get the non-sound version, could someone who has fitted a chip in theirs confirm what decoder works best with this loco to enable all the functions to perform satisfactory. 
I have had a quick trawl of the last 10 pages & seen mentioned the Lokpilot but which variant (part No.) is best suited.

I would also be interested if Cavalex were to produce a sound chip & looking for clarification to see if a speaker is already pre-fitted (I would check but I haven’t received my loco yet).

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

Well I’ve put in a 21 pin decorder and gave it a little run. Can only run the lights for now. But I was expecting that will be getting a sound decoder in the future. It’s almost silent and runs very smooth straight out the box. 

you guys at Cavalex have managed to pull off a excellent job. I hope you guys are proud of your achievement. I know I am and I only bought it! 

I have only two little niggles, well one suggestion really. the securing screws, could these be made so they stay in the cradle so us older folk (suffering from a slight hangover) don’t have to go rummage around the floor to find when they fall out. 

the other 

In all fairness I have paid in full for 56 023, only to find out I am going have to pay the same amount all over again for…..

for 56 074! After I told myself ohh I only need one 56. 

Edited by farren
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, farren said:

Well I’ve put in a 21 pin decorder and gave it a little run. Can only run the lights for now. But I was expecting that will be getting a sound decoder in the future. It’s almost silent and runs very smooth straight out the box. 

you guys at Cavalex have managed to pull off a excellent job. I hope you guys are proud of your achievement. I know I am and I only bought it! 

I have only two little niggles, well one suggestion really. the securing screws, could these be made so they stay in the cradle so us older folk (suffering from a slight hangover) don’t have to go rummage around the floor to find when they fall out. 

the other 

In all fairness I have paid in full for 56 023, only to find out I am going have to pay the same amount all over again for…..

for 56 074! After I told myself ohh I only need one 56. 

Good idea with the screws. We will see what we can do moving forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MartynJPearson said:

Quick question, I've seen the outermost fan (fan 1 I believe) spin quite a lot, but never seen the innermost one (fan 2) running? What are the circumstances in which that one would run? I've checked I've not got it turned off via F23.

Have you got a sound version? The second fan should kick in once the loco has been under load for a while at slightly higher revs to simulate the engine and turbos getting hot. It's worked fan on all the ones we tested so should work on yours.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have to say I'm encouraged by what I have read so far on the model. It really looks like a step up in realism for the heavy haulers, like Bachmann and Accurascale have done for the 37s.

I'm a Scottish region modeller, so I'd be looking for a late numbered 5612x in coal sector livery, second run possibly? Never did get round to buying a Hornby, still got my Dapol/Mainline! 😂

Neil.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi - 2 of my 4 have arrived today - there really is a WOW finish on them. Outstanding. Im having a little issue with Lenz 21 pin decoder though. Lights on but no power - train works off DC only - smooth as you like. Got an ESU 21 pin lying around that I fitted and it works on DCC with the ESU...but I got spare Lenz 21's.

Have I missed a trick and it only works with ESU21 pin ? 

PS - im non sound version

Edited by Norski

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Needs to be pulling 36 Cavalex coal hoppers on full power for that to happen.........:)

I have a suitable alternate load when mine arrives!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I ran my two (56008 / 56120) in this afternoon and I have to say that they are so well matched, probably the best I have ever seen.

After running them in on my normal test track (a loop with a reverse curve included on one side) and set on speed step 60 they lapped with 0.1s difference over a 35 second lap. For comparison, my recent Bachmann Scottish Class 20 pair were just over 1.5s different over the same distance. 

So no worries about these 56s fighting each other if I double head them which, to be honest, it would be rude not to!

As others have said sound files are perfect and they are so controllable. Absolutely fantastic. 

Class 60s are not my era, but I am so tempted, so please, go ahead and announce some more 56s so I don’t have yet another rule 1 purchase!

Edit: just to add, the lap time difference between their first laps and after running in was negligible. Compare this with the new Dapol Class 73 I am running in now, and in one direction the lap time has decreased by 5 seconds after running in. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, 

It’s good to see that everyone is pleased with their 56s. I have two on order and I am eagerly awaiting their arrival next week. 

Just a quick question, I didn’t manage to order my two with the DCC Decoders pre-fitted, so can anyone tell me what DCC Decoders are fitted inside the models and where these can be bought from please? I suspect that only specific Decoders will allow all of the lighting functions to work/function and the model to move. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1

My two should hopefully be with me next week, fingers crossed!

The images/videos of those who have theirs shows you guys appear to have done such a fantastic job, at reasonable prices.

Can we start suggesting the next set....56049 Dutch transrail, 56104 sector coal and 56123 transrail.

When is the next batch likely to be released?

16 hours ago, SRman said:

I have only just been invoiced by Rails for mine, so it'll be a while before I receive it, but following some of the discussions over the last few topic pages, I have formed the following thoughts.

A1A-A1A as opposed to C-C drive for the models works fine for me. I have quite a few older Heljan diesels, such as class 47s, 57s, 52s, 58s, Falcon, Lion and Kestrel (there may be others I haven't listed), and all have the centre axle floating axles and 8-wheel drive, with great track-holding on uneven parts, and excellent haulage power - my usual comment is they'll pull the side out of the house given the chance!

For the dual function F2, one of the first things I'll be doing is popping it on the programming track connected to the LokProgrammer, which makes it easy to swap functions around, and how they operate. My intention will be to alter the F2 and F25 combination so that the horns are with F25 on, and the brake is with it off. Easy to do with the LokProgrammer, and probably almost as easy with JMRI Decoder  Pro. It can be done with CV changes as well, but that would mean reading the LokSound manual! 😅

I have a couple of the Hornby models, and they are by no means bad models, and still very presentable now, but the Cavalex one is quite a few steps above that, and I am really looking forward to receiving mine in due course.

Your definitely on to something here, having F3 and F4 set to momentary action provides a great playable two tone horn, just like the real thing. Not having the brake available all the time is quite annoying especially a s I'm so used to it. Be nice to know how make the changes via CVs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SRman said:

For the dual function F2, one of the first things I'll be doing is popping it on the programming track connected to the LokProgrammer, which makes it easy to swap functions around, and how they operate. My intention will be to alter the F2 and F25 combination so that the horns are with F25 on, and the brake is with it off. Easy to do with the LokProgrammer, and probably almost as easy with JMRI Decoder  Pro. It can be done with CV changes as well, but that would mean reading the LokSound manual! 😅

It is indeed very easy to re-map functions using JMRI. It looks pretty similar to LokProgrammer.

I have looked at the manual with regard to doing this manually, but it seems very complicated, especially compared to JMRI.
The pre-loaded feature list looks very reasonable. I like the idea of having switchable modes via a high numbered function & it is obvious somebody has put a lot of thought into this.

I'll probably do something similar to what you suggest, but will familiarise myself with the model first.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, James Makin said:

Beautiful model guys!

I’ve had my first pair for just 24hrs now, so it seemed wrong not to, er, start ruining them..!

Here’s how easy the branding comes off with Humbrol enamel thinners - 

IMG_8815.jpeg.c25226859949a7548c43a0516d1b4fe4.jpeg

Nice big plop of thinners on the area, and leave for a good 30 secs or so, 

IMG_8823.jpeg.e4e0e14cdee0738119818fb914ed523c.jpeg

Then you can start to rub away, the printing takes a little bit of effort to get started but soon obliges…

IMG_8826.jpeg.11233c5807db699ac9d05c7b04e69d62.jpeg

Then just keep going, slowly and surely but with not too much pressure and here we go, a lovely blank canvas!

IMG_8829.jpeg.fc6869a422e2b5001728e19180d4c918.jpeg

Maybe now time for a cup of ‘Big T’ 😛

Cheers

James

Ooohh, yes that’s what I’m talking about. And the thinners didn’t wobble the grey divide !

• Like 1