Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

I think if accura focus on any other mk2's - the D's are the obvious candidate. Tooling is way out of date now and as others have said fits nicely in line with the B's and C's. It would also make sense for the E's to be done as well but I deffo think the D's are priority for modellers as ripe for picking next.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

They look beautiful, that's for the pictures. Other manufactures need to look at the couplings too, really nice to include the magnetic coupling and how close they have managed to get that! 

My Son has a Class37, would look amazing behind it.. No, not buying any... 

20 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Got my shipping notification for the Blue and Grey ones at 2pm this afternoon. These were ordered on 28 August 2021.

Well, my wait by the door today for mine ordered on the 26th of August 2021 resulted in me intercepting a box with accurascale printed on it. YAHOOO!  

Except it was from TMC and they were just reusing it to send a model plane I bought for my son :-(

Not had my RTC coaches either. I swear the picking line I always get is the one made up of smokers who need a fag break every half hour 😂

Ah well, they’ll be here when they’re here, I’ll just have to deal with my jealousy of those posting their coaches ordered after mine 🤐

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

For me the quality of detailing of these vehicles will make even Bachmann Mk2a coaches, which are a nice coach, stick out like a baboon's bum if mixed in with the Accurascale coaches, and will look even worse if mixed with the ex-Airfix 2d which as I have said before got me and my friends very excited about their release when we were wearing school uniform last century.  I think it would be unreasonable to expect Accurascale to do a 2a to match the standard of their 2b-c stock given the Bachmann models (although they are not afraid to go toe to toe with Barwell) but given the Hornlinefix 2d is now really at pension age and given the frequency with which 2b-c stock ran intermingled with 2ds, certainly on the WCML and later on cross country services, a 2d range (including a BFK which has never been modelled but was a regular feature on cross country services) would give a suitable "air conditioned" range whilst not going head on with the Bachmann 2f. 

I agree with you that the Mk2d is the clear priority for a new release, I've always thought of them as ECML coaches hauled by Deltics and so would not consider running them with WR Mk2bs.

As my interest is WR, my Mk2bs will be working alongside Bachmann's Mk2a - irrespective of how they look - simply because they are what I remember as running together. Also, once WR Mk2bs transferred to Waterloo-Exeter services, the WR had an excess of first class FKs (W-E used BFKs) they appeared in rakes of coffins vice FO - so another Bachmann product (Mk2fs) mine will be working alongside. Another option would be to replicate the downgraded first class only rakes that worked diagrams including the 10.27 Paddington to Penzance and 10.50 Penzance - Paddington for a while (behind Class 50s).

Personally I don't remember Mk2ds on cross country services in any quantity - weren't they mostly Mk2e cascaded from the MML?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Well, my wait by the door today for mine ordered on the 26th of August 2021 resulted in me intercepting a box with accurascale printed on it. YAHOOO!  

Except it was from TMC and they were just reusing it to send a model plane I bought for my son :-(

Not had my RTC coaches either. I swear the picking line I always get is the one made up of smokers who need a fag break every half hour 😂

Ah well, they’ll be here when they’re here, I’ll just have to deal with my jealousy of those posting their coaches ordered after mine 🤐

Ah sorry to hear. Mine arrived at 12 noon, just about to open them, now work is finished...

2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Personally I don't remember Mk2ds on cross country services in any quantity - weren't they mostly Mk2e cascaded from the MML?

There were a lot of Mk2d coaches on Cross Country from the mid-80s on.  When the Cross London services were launched via Kensington six Mk2d TSOs were converted to a super-mini buffet, with a two bay counter and microwave for ping meal service whilst the rest of the fleet got a light refurbishment with new seat covers and carpet.  The Mk2ds were also common on the Paddington to the Midlands "shorty" six car sets, often working with a micro buffet conversion of both Mk2c and d types.  They were still running in cross country sets up to the early 90s when Inter City had a cull of the less reliable Mk2 stock although the odd BFK could still be found with Intercity swallow branding as late as 1995.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

The 2Ds would be the logical next step. Most went to the ECML when new with a few FOs (3189- 3216), FKs (13585-13610) and BFKs (14162-14172) going to the LMR for WCML services. 5625 was a bit of an odd ball as it had BT5 bogies for a while. The LMR allocated 2Ds couldn't be heated by Deltics or 47401-420 due ETH voltage stability. A couple of the TSOs also had Temperature air con equipment rather that Stones Equipment.

• RMweb Gold

A little concerned not heard about my RTC pack, I think McC said they were sorting them first as a small batch. Did email accurascale support yesterday but not heard back. Wonder if they have been stopped to sort the certificate issue.

13 minutes ago, Markwj said:

A little concerned not heard about my RTC pack, I think McC said they were sorting them first as a small batch. Did email accurascale support yesterday but not heard back. Wonder if they have been stopped to sort the certificate issue.

Not received mine either. I was going to leave it until after the weekend before contacting them.

I have received my mk2b NSE coaches though..

1 hour ago, Rich Papper said:

Arrived home to find my NSE pair had arrived today. Some comparisons for colour and size if helpful. Accurascale on the left in each picture.

First against a Bachmann 2a. Colour match is pretty good - certainly nothing to worry about running them in a rake together. The wheels on the 2b are a bit finer, but when weathered probably not noticeable. Similar the roof - black on the 2b, grey on the 2a - again, to be weathered anyway. To be honest the most obvious thing between them is the table tops being white on the 2b and not (yet!) on the 2a. Height, shape etc look pretty close between the two.

RMWB276.jpg.d45603b4c53d15da7cb7d5543a4797e9.jpg

Against the darker NSE blue (although I think Bachmann have this a little too dark - and now I look at it the white doesn't look as bright. Weathering needed!)

RMWB277.jpg.3ff8cd71e51831acfaad9a0eb6c80a55.jpg

Then against the 2d FK13575. Pretty sure this was only ever the darker blue.

RMWB278.jpg.da819bdb7293e2a8ce53aebb7fe86f6f.jpg

And for comparison if anyone is respraying - slightly incongruous, but my 119 uses the Phoenix NSE light blue. Pretty close.

RMWB279.jpg.5c3f57c2913c05c0032a5fb16327556e.jpg

Need to clear space to get them running now. Already found how free-running they are - rolled off while trying to take a picture.

Thank you chaps!

Rich

That has answered all my questions! Still waiting for my mk2b's for direct comparison. 

My blue and grey Mk2B stock arrived this morning, right on the time quoted. Absolutely beautiful models, well worth the wait.

Just waiting for the NSE ones now but I've not had an email yet for those.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

For me the quality of detailing of these vehicles will make even Bachmann Mk2a coaches, which are a nice coach, stick out like a baboon's bum if mixed in with the Accurascale coaches, and will look even worse if mixed with the ex-Airfix 2d which as I have said before got me and my friends very excited about their release when we were wearing school uniform last century.  I think it would be unreasonable to expect Accurascale to do a 2a to match the standard of their 2b-c stock given the Bachmann models (although they are not afraid to go toe to toe with Barwell) but given the Hornlinefix 2d is now really at pension age and given the frequency with which 2b-c stock ran intermingled with 2ds, certainly on the WCML and later on cross country services, a 2d range (including a BFK which has never been modelled but was a regular feature on cross country services) would give a suitable "air conditioned" range whilst not going head on with the Bachmann 2f. 

That said, given blue-grey Bachmann 2fs are rarer than pixie snot and unicorn dung, frankly if Accurascale wanted to do the complete Mk2 canon I'd be laughing all the way to the Caernarfon bankruptcy tribunal.

(edit) Forgot to add, I do think that if Accurascale wanted to do some LMS coaches the equally venerable Period 1 stock which began life with Mainline might be worth a punt, they were around for many years and again some types have never been made.  Some also made it to the Northern Counties Committee lines out of Belfast and lasted in service just long enough to be hauled by the three Hunslet diesel locos as excursion stock so might also have an Irish connection depending on details.

Talking about pixie snot, the NCC coaches might require different bogies.

13 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Arrived home to find my NSE pair had arrived today. Some comparisons for colour and size if helpful. Accurascale on the left in each picture.

First against a Bachmann 2a. Colour match is pretty good - certainly nothing to worry about running them in a rake together. The wheels on the 2b are a bit finer, but when weathered probably not noticeable. Similar the roof - black on the 2b, grey on the 2a - again, to be weathered anyway. To be honest the most obvious thing between them is the table tops being white on the 2b and not (yet!) on the 2a. Height, shape etc look pretty close between the two.

Against the darker NSE blue (although I think Bachmann have this a little too dark - and now I look at it the white doesn't look as bright. Weathering needed!)

And for comparison if anyone is respraying - slightly incongruous, but my 119 uses the Phoenix NSE light blue. Pretty close.

Need to clear space to get them running now. Already found how free-running they are - rolled off while trying to take a picture.

Thank you chaps!

Rich

Thanks Rich for the shots. I had fun with NSE white while messing about with Bachmann DMUs where they've switch to basically pure white. I'm not entirely sure it should be pure white but I think it looks better than the NSE off white from railmatch or precision.

The lower white stripe does look quite thin though... Will make a mixes rake look a bit odd

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rich Papper said:

Thank you chaps!

Rich

Not too sure about the window at the back of the 119 Brake I don’t remember them having sliding vents. I remember them with a single pillar above the horizontal bar.

Mark

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

Thanks Rich for the shots. I had fun with NSE white while messing about with Bachmann DMUs where they've switch to basically pure white. I'm not entirely sure it should be pure white but I think it looks better than the NSE off white from railmatch or precision.

The lower white stripe does look quite thin though... Will make a mixes rake look a bit odd

I ended up using a pure white aerosol instead as the off white, didn't match the Bachmann coaches very well.

• Agree 2

Only had a quick look at my two tonight but they’re certainly exquisite models. The lights stay on quite some time after power is turned off. Just have to wait a few months for the MK2c BSO to arrive to complete this little train. They’re in desperate need of some good quality passengers.

Lovely coaches. 

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

• Like 16