Model Rail Scotland 2022

arran

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2022 at 21:53, duncan said:

Can anyone give me some advice please, I am clearing my late Father's house & he has a fair amount of 1970s to 1990s 00 gauge stock.  I know nothing about 00, but appreciate that it is probably worth pennies.  

Would there be any traders at the show who it would be worth me speaking to regarding clearance ?

Much appreciated Duncan

Richard @ Footplate 

• Thanks 1

On 22/02/2022 at 21:53, duncan said:

Can anyone give me some advice please, I am clearing my late Father's house & he has a fair amount of 1970s to 1990s 00 gauge stock.  I know nothing about 00, but appreciate that it is probably worth pennies.  

Would there be any traders at the show who it would be worth me speaking to regarding clearance ?

Much appreciated Duncan

You may want to try North Road Trains or the Junction Box.  Both will be there and are decent folk to deal with.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

What's the expectation for kids attending the show at the weekend? Just as per govmt guidelines which to my knowledge is over 12s require masks but not below 12?

See here:

https://modelrail-scotland.co.uk/covid-19-information/

And/or the SEC website page linked from there:

https://www.sec.co.uk/visitor-information/covid-19-customer-update

• Thanks 1

Just home from the exhibition and, if I'm honest, I found it a bit disappointing. Just not enough layouts with a lot of floor space taken up by retailers and manufacturers.

Blair Atholl towards Drumochter was the best layout IMHO.

Hornby were very conspicuous by their absence. I suspect Simon Kohler didn't fancy a barrage of questions about pricing.

• Funny 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Bino said:

I found it a bit disappointing

Instead, be grateful for those who did put on a show.

13 minutes ago, Bino said:

Hornby were very conspicuous by their absence. I suspect Simon Kohler didn't fancy a barrage of questions about pricing.

They were never booked to be there. They haven't given any dates when they will return to shows.

Please try and be more responsible with your comments.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Just having a much needed coffee break. I respectfully have to disagree with Bino’s comment. It’s a really good show and well attended. It was almost too busy this morning and just after lunch. Thinning out a bit now. Thanks to the exhibitors and the organisers.

PJ10

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Bino said:

Just home from the exhibition and, if I'm honest, I found it a bit disappointing. Just not enough layouts with a lot of floor space taken up by retailers and manufacturers.

I'd have loved to be disappointed - too far away from Glasgow, York cancelled and I can't get to AP due to a planned health intervention...

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Well I was all  set to go.  Day off work was going to Barber first to let the queue get down . Took a lateral flow test before going to barber and the bloody thing was positive ! So isolating and now got sniffly cold . Deep Joy !

So I’d say think yourself lucky you could attend .  I did note no big show stoppers this year . Blair Atholl has been there a number of times and I think at  Perth too . But of course the show was organised during a time of great uncertainty so again I think we can allow organisers a degree of latitude and be thankful it’s on at all .

Anyway  the announcement of a Jones Goods is good news .  Looking forward to show appearing on YouTube to see what I missed . Not the same as wondering the aisles unfortunately !  So the first show I’ve missed since 1973. Broke my run 

• Friendly/supportive 5

Been a good first day not as busy as normal some great layouts and some good sales stands nice to see Westhill wagon works at their first model rail Scotland. 

Had to work out how the clubs layout worked only had one or two issues with dodgy points. First time I've used this type of doc controller, first time I've run 0 gauge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Instead, be grateful for those who did put on a show.

They were never booked to be there. They haven't given any dates when they will return to shows.

Please try and be more responsible with your comments.

If Bino was disappointed, implying that he is ungrateful isn't going to help. You had a whinge about my disappointed about aspects of the Doncaster show even though I had thoroughly lowered my expectations. It's a good job that for me that exhibition was worth it as a shopping trip, whereas for Bino it doesn't sound like it was.   

Similarly I don't infer from Bino that he thought Hornby had given back word, only that Hornby is perhaps behind most others in getting back to exhibitions of this size. While he may have been a bit satirical on why Hornby may want to avoid queries (que Titfiled jokes as well), its a valid point.

My club had a fairly successful show last October, but the benchmark is ever raising and we need to have a better one this year. People expect continuous improvement while we live with COVID - in this case (and having seen the plan) having a slightly higher percentage of the space for layouts next year could be a goal.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Bomag said:

My club had a fairly successful show last October,

I would have thought you'd understand how people who've put a lot of work in would feel if that was the first review of their efforts they would see on here at the end of a long day. No?

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I would have thought you'd understand how people who've put a lot of work in would feel if that was the first review of their efforts they would see on here at the end of a long day. No?

As they say from our part of God's own country there's nowt as queer as folk. Either a complaint is useful for next year or it shows that our hobby is full of very odd people. Apart from complaints along the lines of a couple of GW layouts was 'simply not enough' I have never heard anything which I had the odd worry about while doing the Friday set up. Being exhibition organiser needs thick enough skin not to be depressed, but not too thick to be able to evaluate how well you did. For the rest of us we need to provide support where it is needed. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Bomag said:

Either a complaint is useful for next year or it shows that our hobby is full of very odd people

I wouldn't go so far as 'full' but...

2 minutes ago, Bomag said:

For the rest of us we need to provide support

I'm trying to rationalise the concept of complaints being a form of support; but I can't.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I think you've misunderstood me. I was disappointed at the ratio of layouts compared to retailers and manufacturers. I do understand that taking a layout to a show is a massive undertaking by people who do it for the love of the hobby. I simply would have liked to see more layouts. The layouts I saw today were all magnificent.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Bino said:

I think you've misunderstood me. I was disappointed at the ratio of layouts compared to retailers and manufacturers. I do understand that taking a layout to a show is a massive undertaking by people who do it for the love of the hobby. I simply would have liked to see more layouts. The layouts I saw today were all magnificent.

Maybe you should have said so - your post - however it was meant - came over as a bit negative.....

Chris

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Bino said:

I simply would have liked to see more layouts.

There were over 40 layouts advertised to be at Model Rail Scotland.  How many more layouts needed to be at this show to satisfy you?

It is said that being an exhibition manager is a thankless task, and your negative comments illustrate the truth of that saying. 

You could have commented, instead, to thank the exhibition organising team and all the participants for succeeding to put on a show in exceptionally difficult circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Our Limited Edition N Gauge Class 320 - named 'Model Rail Scotland' is now available to purchase from our website here.
Only limited Stock has been released for web sales - Models Still available from Show over the next 2 days
https://modelrail-scotland.co.uk/product/limited-edition-class-320/

In 1996 SPT had named a Class156 ‘Kilmarnock Edition’ which prompted the Model Rail Scotland team to ask if they would consider naming one of their units after the show.

The logic being nothing ventured nothing gained whilst also believing the request would be politely declined.

How wrong they were, as the 1997 exhibition in addition to having a new name, also became the first and only Model Railway Show in Great Britain to have an item of main line rolling stock named after it.

A situation which is still unique as this was the first occasion when an item of British main line rolling stock had been named after a model railway exhibition and to date no other exhibition has this honour.
The event was also used by Strathclyde Passenger Transport to unveil and publicly launch their new Carmine & Cream livery which replaced the Strathclyde red or was it orange!

On the 18th February the current Exhibition Manager Ian Porteous who was then Chairman of the Association at that time, participated in the naming ceremony of 320306 “Model Rail Scotland” at Glasgow Central Station.

Another ‘first’ achieved that day relates to the presence of a Class 320 at Glasgow Central as prior to then the units had never been seen at Glasgow Central.

For 1998 and all subsequent years it was decided to adopt the Model Rail Scotland nameplate format as the show logo.

320 306 retained its nameplate up until it was refurbished at Wabtec Doncaster as part of the Class 320 fleet refurbishment programme which took place between February 2011 and October 2013.

• Like 5

I missed 2020's because of the weather so this was my first visit since 2019. Well worth the 7 or so hours round trip on the train, and a free ride on a old bus to boot (aren't there a lot of traffic lights in Glasgow ?).  Blair Atholl was one of the first layouts I ever saw on the web rather than in a magazine (when Webrings were a thing, remember them?), never seen it in the flesh and I wasn't disappointed. 

Thanks to everyone who made it happen. 

• Like 1

I've just got back from a long day - train up from Warrington & back - at the show from 11 till about 5pm.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, was as good as before lockdowns, plenty of N gauge as well which is always nice and am back feeling recharged regarding my own modelling plans - some more sound to fit, a few sidings to lay.

It's a well balanced show with an excellent mix of layouts to retailers, felt that the retailers are also feeling more confident as well, there seemed to be more available than Doncaster.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Just home too from a visit to Glasgow by train. My first visit to Model Rail Scotland and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  A nice mix of interesting layouts and traders/manufacturers.

In terms of layouts I enjoyed Canal Sidings the most with Beijio second.  Although not a exhibition layout as such, tucked away on the Scale Model Scenery stand was a micro layout with good operational interest built on one of their baseboards which I found very inspirational, I could be tempted to make something similar.  While many of the layouts were to a very high standard, it was nice to see some which were more of ‘an average modeller standard’. Perhaps my humble effort is good enough for a ‘big’ show?

The show quietened down considerably after 1500 which made it easy to have good discussions with layout builders and demonstrators - thanks for your time and ideas guys.  I was glad the manufacturers were there as once it quietened down I was able to conversations with them, especially DCC Concepts and KR Models.

So a long enjoyable day, came home happy after wearing out my credit card.  Thanks to everyone involved in putting the show on.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I wouldn't go so far as 'full' but...

I'm trying to rationalise the concept of complaints being a form of support; but I can't.

I didn't say that. You support the organiser, this can by summarising what punters thought didn't work but filtering out the verbage.

The show yesterday was superb. Thank you to all of the organisers and other folk involved. I won't list any favourite models or businesses as I didn't get round all of them. Also each has its own particular strength(s) and unique aspect. We have all experienced two years of upset, everyone has been affected, for what was in our lifetimes an unprecedented situation. I felt that this show was a plucky demonstration of our hobbies and country's resolve and positivety. Well done to all and best wishes and thanks. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

I found plenty to delight me, both for viewing (the layouts) and spending (the traders) purposes ! Especially after two years since my last major exhibition. And the Atlantean back to the city centre after the show topped it off. 

I also would like to thank all those involved for organising such a superb show. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed the show.  Thanks for putting it on.

Spent a lot of time chatting to acquaintances as well as looking at layouts.

Spent money on two stalls where I had gone to chat and saw a book that I liked (both signalling diagrams books).  Plus my intended purchases.

Paul.

• Like 1