RMweb

Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

2 hours ago, XChris said:

The question with Hornby is can they swim faster than the tide now? After just plodding along assuming that everything is fine and no one is going to steal there market away from them. Now they have a struggle, a hastily thought up new tooling of the HST could be dissasterous! All of a sudden this 'other' manufacturer releases a brilliant detailed model with all the bells and whistles and gadgets and gizmos that Hornby couldn't do, but in the meantime another manufacturer takes a shot at there other remaining good selling D&E models and they don't see it coming and are blindsided by it. Now they don't have a D&E range other than railroad and the market has gone from them. The HST hey produce now has to be spot on. Then they have to look at the rest and get that right, quickly if they are to remain...

I would happily be proven wrong, but I just cant see it. I think Hornby have been on the slide for a number of years now since they stopped using the Bachmann factory and whatever they bring out now they just dont seem to be able to come up with a fault-free D+E model, there's always something thats either careless, sloppy or just stupid. Now I think their prices have risen so much that they're just not competitive for the standard of model they're producing so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't around in 5 years time.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I would happily be proven wrong, but I just cant see it. I think Hornby have been on the slide for a number of years now since they stopped using the Bachmann factory and whatever they bring out now they just dont seem to be able to come up with a fault-free D+E model, there's always something thats either careless, sloppy or just stupid. Now I think their prices have risen so much that they're just not competitive for the standard of model they're producing so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't around in 5 years time.

I hope you're proven wrong. I model industrial railways and their Ruston and Sentinel diesels are about all there is unless you want to go down the kit/scratch built route. I am aware of course that other manufacturers also produce industrial diesel models or have announced the same but apart from the Oxford Rail YE Janus they are too big for my micro layout. 

8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I hope you're proven wrong. I model industrial railways and their Ruston and Sentinel diesels are about all there is unless you want to go down the kit/scratch built route. I am aware of course that other manufacturers also produce industrial diesel models or have announced the same but apart from the Oxford Rail YE Janus they are too big for my micro layout. 

I'd be interested in knowing the size of that market, Hornby do seem to be on it with this and others are going that way too.

I do mean to buy the DVLR Rustons they have done given they are local to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I'd be interested in knowing the size of that market, Hornby do seem to be on it with this and others are going that way too.

I do mean to buy the DVLR Rustons they have done given they are local to me.

I think it is a growing sector of the market with easy assembly baseboard kits from the likes of Tim Horn and Scale Model Scenery an industrial micro-layout is a quick and easy build.

Just now, PhilJ W said:

I think it is a growing sector of the market with easy assembly baseboard kits from the likes of Tim Horn and Scale Model Scenery an industrial micro-layout is a quick and easy build.

Yes and also given a lot of people are tightened up for space, it makes sense. Also industrial stuff leaves a lot of operational potential doesn't it?

A preservation industrial scene is something I intend on adding to my layout when I get round to it. I do want a larger preserved line to so not sure whether to combine both (as ultimately it won't be that long anyway) or to have a specific part for industrial stuff.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2022 at 15:07, TomScrut said:

I expect artwork design and engineering design are done by completely different people, so one isn't necessary linked to the other.

youd expect it to be overseen by an overall lead designer though, who signs off what different department designers are producing, wouldnt you ? I mean someone takes responsibility for the overall thing theyve produced right ? unless its just Simon K pressing the yeah looks about right lets order button.

I mean another example of attention to detail missing on their D&E models, the new Class 91 Intercity livery has somehow ended up with front left and right cab window frames on the front in white, they should be black, even though it was on the renders correctly in black, so maybe its a factory mistake, back to QC.

but I picked up from a review on the For the Fallen version,which has its own livery issues on the cab front not aligning with the side panels and light cluster mistakes, but thats modelled with a specific roof setup for all the AC electric equipment which is correct for the later as is running today setup on the real thing, but it looks identical to the equipment setup theyve put on the Intercity livery version, which then cant be correct, if its known it has changed over time ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stonojnr said:

youd expect it to be overseen by an overall lead designer though, who signs off what different department designers are producing, wouldnt you ? I mean someone takes responsibility for the overall thing theyve produced right ?

Not necessarily IMO. The engineering design is for the tooling. It happens once per tooling lifecycle (except any mods), art design happens every release. Probably someone signs off on the art but not necessarily the person who signed the CADs or EPs off possibly a while before the art is done.

If it is two people, then if they do their jobs right the tooling and art will be right anyway.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Not necessarily IMO. The engineering design is for the tooling. It happens once per tooling lifecycle (except any mods), art design happens every release. Probably someone signs off on the art but not necessarily the person who signed the CADs or EPs off possibly a while before the art is done.

If it is two people, then if they do their jobs right the tooling and art will be right anyway.

Whoever does the box sleeve artwork seems to be able to get it right! Unfortunately though it never gets through to the actual models!! 

The Railfreight 60s on the box looked quite a good match for colour, then you opened it… 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

55 minutes ago, Global said:

Whoever does the box sleeve artwork seems to be able to get it right! Unfortunately though it never gets through to the actual models!! 

The Railfreight 60s on the box looked quite a good match for colour, then you opened it… 

They used to be able to do good colour matches for the Railfreight sectors in the past - if they dig a 60077 Canisp out of their archives and send that to the factory to copy they might get reasonable grey shades

• Like 2

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Though after I posted earlier about the 67 I noticed it was a 2021 offering, not a '22 one. Never mind!

Well it's arrived, and it's a very nice model.

20220611_153446.thumb.jpg.bd765acbdbd9afba6ff28ed1f0e412de.jpg

The model seems to have had an upgrade aswell, with updated head/tail light connections and buffers painted black. The decoration, too, is not bad.

• Like 7

On 11/06/2022 at 15:04, WestRail642fan said:

Has Hornby released any CADs for the 755s yet? those are really the only 2022 range models im interested in currently

not yet, and since these are now showing winter 23/24 on the Hornby store...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2022 at 02:04, WestRail642fan said:

Has Hornby released any CADs for the 755s yet? those are really the only 2022 range models im interested in currently

Ask and ye shall receive. https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/pride-west-coast?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Engine+Shed+is+ready+and+waiting&utm_campaign=Hornby+-+Engine+Shed+-+Week+13+2022%2F23

• Like 3

19 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Very impressive 755 CAD. Looks like it'll be a delicious model.

I'm intrigued as to how the dual-motor set up will work. Following with interest 👀

Definitely. It does look very nice doesn't it. I might bite despite being out of region depending on what else I have coming at the time.

I wonder if there is a through connection or if each end is effectively a loco?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

perfect! I hope these prove popular enough for Hornby to make the 745s

Might be a big ask as the only common factor between the two are the driving trailers plus the whole 12 coach unit issue...

More likely to see these developed into 231's and 756's which are pretty similar.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Definitely. It does look very nice doesn't it. I might bite despite being out of region depending on what else I have coming at the time.

I wonder if there is a through connection or if each end is effectively a loco?

There is a narrow gangway through the power car, which can get quite thrashy in motion. 

IMG_9068.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain Electra said:

There is a narrow gangway through the power car, which can get quite thrashy in motion. 

IMG_9068.jpg

I meant in the context of the model. I e. Is it single decoder controlling both motors or two setups

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I meant in the context of the model. I e. Is it single decoder controlling both motors or two setups

The decoder is shown to be fitted in the roof of the driving car so it might be one does both or one in each though Hornby do talk in terms of a single decoder.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, frobisher said:

More likely to see these developed into 231's and 756's which are pretty similar.

I think the biggest difference is the extra pair of plug doors on each side of each vehicle. I'm watching with anticipation for a TfW model 👀

• Like 1