Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, gary_lner said:

Other ones?

Hornby made a big fuss about their new HST being critical due to having learned that a competitor was making a rival product… it was the focus of an episode in the last Hornby Rockumentary tv series.

So far, the anonymous ‘competitior’ has remained silent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Hornby made a big fuss about their new HST being critical due to having learned that a competitor was making a rival product… it was the focus of an episode in the last Hornby Rockumentary tv series.

So far, the anonymous ‘competitior’ has remained silent.

As we told everyone many times during the run, don't beleive all you see on TV.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

As we told everyone many times during the run, don't beleive all you see on TV.

I most certainly don’t, and on most things not just model trains.

i’m just hoping they made allowance for measuring a HST without its heavy engines inside, (its a cave inside that power car), and is sitting higher on its springs as a result.

Considering theres a preservation group owning a full set, inc Paxman engines, and is comprised of skilled engineers who work for EMR who were still running them at the time of filming, struck me as odd… unless…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, atherton said:

No but I have bought the earlier 56047. I hate to say it but ordered direct from Hornby and it arrived here in NZ 10 days later, which beats the average by 4 days! Nice model, heavy runs smoothly, a little bit fast for my liking and for a freight loco even at low speed settings on the controller. It still has the flaws of the earlier detailed models in that the scavenger fans are sunken when they should be flush, but it looks like a 56 and sits well  my other 15 grids. Love the all blue version. Didn't get 086 as I already have one renumbered to that - murphys law.

Thanks,

I had R30082 on pre order but cancelled it and bought a Bachmann Class 47 instead - which I'm absolutely delighted with. I've subsequently been looking at the pictures of R30082 and it doesn't look like it has moved on at all from the Super detail Railfreight 56 108 I have, I know what you mean now about the sunken fans, they don't look quite right? I think I'll wait now until the Cavalex versions come out. I think I have enough stuff now, especially since I've started getting involved with O gauge too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, APT Fan said:

I know what you mean now about the sunken fans, they don't look quite right? I think I'll wait now until the Cavalex versions come out. I think I have enough stuff now, especially since I've started getting involved with O gauge too!

If you're worried about things not looking quite right, you're going to have an interesting time with most rtr o gauge diesels.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

is it too much to ask for a new tooled … class 374 e320 to match?

Buy a Roco Velaro and respray it…

https://www.modellbahnunion.com/HO-OO-gauge/electric-train-407-008-2-Velaro-DB-AG.htm?shop=modellbahn-union-en&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=Roco-72094&p=802

externally theres not much in it between them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

If you're worried about things not looking quite right, you're going to have an interesting time with most rtr o gauge diesels.

I'm not worried, just replying to a post. I'm more concerned with the lack of provision for sound decoders when it comes to Hornby models. I just get on with it though and enjoy it for what it is, finding solutions is part of the fun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, APT Fan said:

Thanks,

I had R30082 on pre order but cancelled it and bought a Bachmann Class 47 instead - which I'm absolutely delighted with. I've subsequently been looking at the pictures of R30082 and it doesn't look like it has moved on at all from the Super detail Railfreight 56 108 I have, I know what you mean now about the sunken fans, they don't look quite right? I think I'll wait now until the Cavalex versions come out. I think I have enough stuff now, especially since I've started getting involved with O gauge too!

Yes it's exactly the same - apart from the roof mounted aerial and livery. I bought a bunch of the 56 108 models when they were under GBP100 a couple of years ago and renumbered/repainted some of them. It's telling that direct from Hornby it's now just under GPB220 for almost the same model. Terrible value for money, but as it's 56 and it's the sort of thing I like then I'll pay the money, no complaints, you can't take it with you! I am looking forward to the Cavalex model which I have pre ordered and keen to see what a step up that is. I've also just ordered a bachy 47, the first new one for me and have only heard good things about it, so looking forward to that one too. We really are spoilt for choice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 10:06, adb968008 said:

Wasn't this "new" HST just a few minor alterations?
Like handles on the doors being a little out and such?
Not like it's a whole body re-tool...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Wasn't this "new" HST just a few minor alterations?
Like handles on the doors being a little out and such?
Not like it's a whole body re-tool...

They might have to have done some substantial retooling for what they did, but yes as far as I can remember it was a spruce up rather than a ground up new model.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

I guess it may as well be "all new" considering the large differences compared to the old

That depends, for example if they have modified the existing tooling, or even used the old CAD as a basis for some new tooling, I don't think it can be described as "all new". Especially given that the outgoing tooling was before the easy accessibility of laser scanning I believe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

For those interested. I’ve just received my notification from Hornby that the following has come into stock:

R30177 RailRoad BR, Class 43 HST InterCity Train Pack - Era 8

Regards Peter

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Watto1990 said:

GA have posted a little behind the scenes video of the making of the 755 model, including a reveal that Hornby have recorded one for a sound decker. 

Hi,

I think this is the first time we’ve heard about a dual motor in the 755s? I wander if the sound will be on a TTS Decoder or something else as it felt the sounds they wanted were beyond the capacity of a TTS decoder?

I like that it explains in a better way than the TV show the comprises of producing a model with being more visible than hoped, I had wandered how they’d do this and I think it’s probably the best solution.

It looks fantastic and I can’t wait for mine!

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting video…

At 2m20 seconds we see the design of the suspiciously looking Railroad-esque motor bogie “that sits under the drivers cab”.

However at 5m18 its discussing the miniature under floor motor that over heats, and a 5 pole motor that will instead be used that sits under the seats and use a shaft.

its a shame the power pack couldnt hold the motor, and use a shaft / gear tower to each bogie. Looking at it, my guess is the tower would need an inaccurate width corridor to allow the shaft to swing through… still maybe thats where the speaker goes ?

tbh i’m glad its not the railroad motor.

Its looking good and nice to see a joint message.

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

its a shame the power pack couldnt hold the motor, and use a shaft / gear tower to each bogie.

Would they be able to make it heavy enough? The length of it might be an issue for using a shaft out of each end too. Would also mean 3 decoders on the unit as per the APT (something which plenty cried about). That then raises the issue if where the speaker does go... One would think the speaker would be in the power pack, but then would that mean it's own decoder just for sound (which wouldn't do load compensation) or have they developed a conductive coupler? The amount of units they now have made they should have done one 10 years ago IMO.

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its looking good

Sure is. If it was in region I'd definitely be having one. Might still end up with one depending when it turns up. Might have to move my southern point from Doncaster down to Peterborough.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well it certainly looks well detailed, and might GA have had slightly more involvement with this than most TOCS would ? seems interesting theyre pushing this video, and not Hornby,just seems more than mere engineering assistance/livery sign off.

though Im left still thinking how is this suddenly different from how the APT/Class91s were treated by Hornbys famous care and attention ? especially when SK describes the train as radical 🤨, you mean its not a kettle on wheels style radical uses this new fangled electrickery and diesel to move around.

Im intruiged by the sound, as thats literally the nosiest Ive heard them in diesel mode, they really are quiet in operation either trackside or station, the nosiest bit being that honking goose horn, so it will be interesting how that translates to their decoder., you spend extra buying this sound and its literally the quietest volume sound you get :)

one thing I did pick up on him saying is theyre 100mph, thats the max speed of the class, I dont think on the Anglia routes they operate on theyre cleared for that speed even when on the main line, as theyre definitely timetabled to take longer than the 745s to traverse the same bits of track currently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Away from the 2023 froth....

It looks like Hornby have got the buffer beam colour correct for 08632 (the artwork renders were black).

I know it was unlikely that they were ever going to fit the extra headlight, and the radio control lights (since removed) - but high level pipes?

Detail, detail. detail.

188877711_08632cat.jpg.d259d058f3831a7a8e77bfa841a42d56.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

hmmm, I've just looked at the Hornby railroad plus class 47, and I could see gears exactly like the lima motor (small geared) i'm wondering (hoping) they are going back to the lima motors that can be serviced, if they are great then I will gladly part my money

• Like 1

• 3 months later...