Hornby 2022 - Wagons

AY Mod

Apologies if I am guilty of raising this in the wrong place--have just watched Simon Kohler,s chat ref 2022 range and he asked for suggestions--tried his email address but to no avail.

What about a 00 catfish wagon--seems a notable omission to me

Ed Plant

20 minutes ago, ed 66 plant said:

Apologies if I am guilty of raising this in the wrong place--have just watched Simon Kohler,s chat ref 2022 range and he asked for suggestions--tried his email address but to no avail.

Ed Plant

Am I not right in that CATFISH were mainly confined to the LMR, at least when first introduced?

CJI.

23 minutes ago, ed 66 plant said:

I think they featured on the Southern as well--for me modelling such in the 1954- 58 period they would be more evident than dogfish as part of engineering trains--they pre-dated the dogfish.Good job I put the hyphen in!!!

See above - it would appear not.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

Thanks for your response--got the era right but region wrong.Still think there is an opportunity-- somebody is missing out.There were after all quite a number made.

Am I right in thinking the Rapido 2 plank ballast wagon would feature on the B.R. SR?--and was it called a Sole?

6 hours ago, ed 66 plant said:

Thanks for your response--got the era right but region wrong.Still think there is an opportunity-- somebody is missing out.There were after all quite a number made.

Am I right in thinking the Rapido 2 plank ballast wagon would feature on the B.R. SR?--and was it called a Sole?

It is an SECR wagon. If it survived to be on BR then they may have called it a SOLE. But SOLE is usually used for the LMS designed ballast open which BR also built. Certainly this would be a useful model for somebody to produce - I believe it has not been available as a kit. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmssole

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brsole

Paul

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

So. 

3 pack of new Hornby HAA (Railfreight Coal), with major retailer discounts: £76.95.

Accurascale HAA 3 pack (Railfreight Coal): £74.95.

I can have the Hornby ones here by Saturday.

The Accurascale ones have to have a ride on a boat. 

But the Accurascale ones are probably much nicer.

I don't have any brand loyalty, so eh, decisions?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

So. 

3 pack of new Hornby HAA (Railfreight Coal), with major retailer discounts: £76.95.

Why do they need to be here by Saturday- are you able to wait a week or so then compare the 2 either in a model shop or via pics on here? Am really looking forward to my accurascale ones. It is really coincidental that they have almost arrived at the same time.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Why do they need to be here by Saturday- are you able to wait a week or so then compare the 2 either in a model shop or via pics on here? Am really looking forward to my accurascale ones. It is really coincidental that they have almost arrived at the same time.

They don't need to be here by Saturday. 😉  I was going to do a classic internet whinge about Hornby's daft pricing on these, and "do they think we're stupid", then I decided to be more reasonable, and treat it as buyer's choice, exactly as you're advising. 🙂

But Hornby's pricing though. 'lol'.

Edited by andythenorth

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

They don't need to be here by Saturday. 😉  I was going to do a classic internet whinge about Hornby's daft pricing on these, and "do they think we're stupid", then I decided to be more reasonable, and treat it as buyer's choice, exactly as you're advising. 🙂

But Hornby's pricing though. 'lol'.

Yes they priced them amazingly close to the accurascale models and incidentally I received an email to say the accurascale ones are due next week along with some detail pictures which look like the Hornby model could be blown out of the water!

1 hour ago, andythenorth said:

So. 

It really is a joke that the Hornby ones are actually priced higher than the Accurascale ones, even after the retail discount.

Remember that if you buy two or more packs of the Accurascale ones, you get an extra 10% off! Free postage too!

The Hornby ones are def going to end up in the bargain bins soon!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I do actually like the Hornby super-detail one, and I've caught a run of them on eBay at about £16 each, which is completely fair price.

They are a bit chunky around the lip, but they sound like HAAs, clonk-clonk clonk-clonk.  I grew up in full earshot of these, train every 20 minutes. Some unfenced track next to our school also allowed for some up close encounters.

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 2

On 11/01/2022 at 13:01, stovepipe said:

Yes I noticed that too, and no, no-one ever has found the photo that shows that livery.

I vaguely recall from the first run that someone did find a photo, but I can't recall if was on here or another forum. What I do remember is that it was a black and white photo from a contemporary magazine, and the difference was fairly obviously not white/ice blue, but clean/not clean. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2022 at 13:24, ed 66 plant said:

Ed Plant

I w2ould Love somebody to do these I was at Nuneaton depot 1978/!985 & want to replicate the trains ~I worked on .This is a must although a kit is available still if not? 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, andythenorth said:

So. 

If it helps ours land on Friday to the warehouse and are just £67.46 each with free post if you buy two or more packs. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, McC said:

If it helps ours land on Friday to the warehouse and are just £67.46 each with free post if you buy two or more packs. 

Do I then have to replace the other 45 Hornby ones? 😛  

'have to'

'have to'

'have to'

'have to'

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Hi All,

Firstly, to confirm I am a fan of both Accurascale & Cavalex products purchasing numerous wagons to make up various rakes.

So I can hear ‘why on earth have you bought these Hornby MGR wagons?’

The rational I have applied is as follows:

1, I was in my local model shop & saw these new Hornby MGR wagons. They looked good with great decoration (now finally with non consecutive running Nos) & they ran well so I bought them (impulsive?).

2, The price is comparable to the alternative models from Accurascale & Cavalex.

However, will the MGR models from Accurascale & Cavalex:

- Have more detail - definitely. 

- Look better - certainly.

But here is the rub. If I bought a pack of Accurascale or Cavalex MGR wagons & mixed these within a rake of Hornby MGR would these stand out - probably.

And that is the issue for me. It would bug me & I would ‘need’ to replace the dozens of Hornby versions I already have. That would require me shifting on my existing Hornby versions. This requires time & with a potential limited low return as others are already doing this. Then there is the new outlay of hundreds of pounds for the newer wagons to replace my original wagons.

So I have decided in this instance to keep my existing Hornby MGR wagons (sorry Accurascale & Cavalex) & will add this pack to extend my rakes further. In my opinion when these are looked at from normal viewing distances (esp once the wagons are weathered) the Hornby wagons will look great for me.

Now, if I was started out & looking for my first rake MGR wagons my decision would be different. 

E9483BFA-95FD-4B68-BADF-51DF633B376A.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, CB Rail said:

2, The price is comparable to the alternative models from Accurascale

Buy two or more packs of accurascale Wagons and they are a mere £22.48 each 

• Like 1

Hi All,

As pointed out by McC @ £22.48 the Accurascale MGR are very competitively priced indeed.

However, it would cost me in excess of £800 to replace all my Hornby versions and with external factors impacting household costs (gas, food, fuel for the car etc etc), in this instance I will ‘gracefully decline’.

As I stated earlier, from normal viewing distances, I am personally quite happy to stick with the Hornby wagons.

Edited by CB Rail
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Will mixing the wagons really notice that much from "normal viewing distances", especially with varying degrees of weathering ?

Yes the incorrect height of the Hornby version will be very obvious against correctly scaled versions.