SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

On 09/02/2023 at 20:39, Jack P said:

I wonder if there's any update on "production due to complete in April. If there are no further delays this would mean we expect delivery to be June." ? ................... we're getting pretty close to June, now. 🙂 ( Yes, I've got June holidays booked, too ! )

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2023 at 12:37, Wickham Green too said:

I wonder if there's any update on "production due to complete in April. If there are no further delays this would mean we expect delivery to be June." ? ................... we're getting pretty close to June, now. 🙂 ( Yes, I've got June holidays booked, too ! )

Looks like the pictures have been updated very recently on the website for each item. The Olive livery looking much darker to the original samples.

Hi, 

Just had an email from Rails saying they are due in the UK next week, subject to customs checks etc they should be in stock from the 12th, if not the following week 👍

Cheers, 

Jim. 

52 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Hopefully, due to some advice provided all the liveries have had some amendments...

They look lovely.

What dates are appropriate for the SECR Grey livery ?  (1921 seems to be the earliest possible ?)

The question I still have is which of the six locos have the following (I've studied these photos for ages):

• Two frame variations (to include early D class conversions)
• Two cab types
• Manual and automatic lubricators

Now frames can be derived from when the conversion happened so 1921 batch would be early, 1927 late

31487 (sunshine) - 1921 batch

31246 (late crest) - 1921 batch

31741 (early crest) - 1927 batch

1471 (SR same loco as above) - 1927 batch

1749 (SR)  - 1921 batch

735 (SECR) - 1st batch

However I cannot see CAB differences (the previous D class had distinctly two), and lubricators (though that is minor).

Is someone able to advise? I would like to choose a BR one that most contrasts the SECR grey one in terms of detail...

As you can probably tell from my user name, I live very close to the old SECR territory, so I am looking forward to the arrival of the D1s.

A question though.  Looking at the recent photos on the Rails website, the SECR grey and Southern liveried versions have very odd looking lamp irons on the top of the smokebox as per the view below. Ordinarily I'd have put this down to a production sample with a bit of wear and tear under it's belt, but all the aforementioned versions look the same.

So is this a prototypical lamp iron design from the SECR ? Not one I've seen before, and my D class has a normal looking vertical lamp iron.

(Sorry if the above is a dumb question).

Sam

SECR d1.jpg

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Hastings Thumper said:

As you can probably tell from my user name, I live very close to the old SECR territory, so I am looking forward to the arrival of the D1s.

A question though.  Looking at the recent photos on the Rails website, the SECR grey and Southern liveried versions have very odd looking lamp irons on the top of the smokebox as per the view below. Ordinarily I'd have put this down to a production sample with a bit of wear and tear under it's belt, but all the aforementioned versions look the same.

So is this a prototypical lamp iron design from the SECR ? Not one I've seen before, and my D class has a normal looking vertical lamp iron.

(Sorry if the above is a dumb question).

Sam

SECR d1.jpg

Should be a standard, vertical, lamp iron.

My guess is that all these samples were packed the same way that caused consistent bending to each top iron.

Note: it is quite usual for such samples to be supplied individually wrapped and not in the final product packaging.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Should be a standard, vertical, lamp iron.

My guess is that all these samples were packed the same way that caused consistent bending to each top iron.

Note: it is quite usual for such samples to be supplied individually wrapped and not in the final product packaging.

You’d think it would occur to them to correct those things first before the photos are taken (unless the photos aren’t taken by Dapol / Rails?). One other discrepancy I’ve noticed is that the middle cab windows on 1749 don’t have gold casings, whereas 1741 does. Maybe these are latest samples vs the finished product?

• Like 1

On 13/06/2023 at 19:07, rembrow said:

Another update by Rails, posted today. They are expecting the D1s to arrive with them at the end of this week and will start to.process pre order payments.

The temptation to put an order on for a third with Sunshine lettering is sheer hell...!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2