SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Intriguing ! ........ had an e-mail from DPD yesterday saying they were expecting my D1 parcel  -  yet, today, Rails say ( in duplicate ) that they've despatched by Parcel Farce ................... will have to see how it turns up next week !

My DPD delivery originally said Monday, and then all of sudden this morning it said within the next hour!

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

My DPD delivery originally said Monday, and then all of sudden this morning it said within the next hour!

Exactly the same for me, made my weekend. (I have lowered my Father's day expectations, now that my daughter is married and moved out! ) My S E C R grey model looks fantastic. Quick test with a PP3  reveals a nice smooth running motor. One wheel contact needed a minor adjustment. Next stop a trip to my Club layout with some birdcages. 

Edited by stephennicholson

It gets better.

First I get this from DPD:

Gabriel-Marius will deliver your RAILS OF SHEFFIELD LTD parcel

TODAY

17th June 2023

between

10:58-11:58

Then I get this at 11.24:

DPD Courier - Package Rescheduling

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that your package delivery was unsuccessful as there was nobody available at the specified address.

To reschedule the delivery, a small fee is required. Please note that the first delivery attempt was free of charge.

Please click the button below to proceed with the rescheduling process:

Reschedule Package

Thank you for choosing DPD Courier.

Best regards,

The DPD Courier Team

I replied  within ten minutes against the email address it came from complaining that they had not tried to deliver it.

(This would probably not reach them).

Then low and behold, five minutes later my door bell rang and there was the DPD driver with my parcel. He booked it on his tablet and said he did not know where the message had come from, although there was another DPD driver in the area and perhaps his machine had misread the reference.

I have opened the package (SE&CR Grey). The model is all present and correct with no damage apparent. It looks very nice, although I cannot test it at the moment.

All the best

Ray

Be careful with these messages from DPD and others.Many are scams to get money from you ,you can often tell by how they address you on the text.Only genuine ones will have your real name ,scams may just say Dear Customer or similar

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, jamieb said:

Be careful with these messages from DPD and others.Many are scams to get money from you ,you can often tell by how they address you on the text.Only genuine ones will have your real name ,scams may just say Dear Customer or similar

Hi Jamieb.

Thanks for that. Having looked closely I think that you are right, it does appear to have come form a scam source.

Now that leaves one problem. It means that there is a breech somewhere in either Rails or DPDs systems for someone to be aware that I have been sent a parcel.

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1

Just now, wainwright1 said:

Hi Jamieb.

Thanks for that. Having looked closely I think that you are right, it does appear to have come form a scam source.

Now that leaves one problem. It means that there is a breech somewhere in either Rails or DPDs systems for someone to be aware that I have been sent a parcel.

All the best

Ray

Pure coincidence - I get a couple per week, and I have no outstanding packages due.

Send enough scam emails and they're bound to find someone like yourself.

CJI.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Jamieb.

All the best

Ray

It could be something amiss with the DPD system, but most probably just an unfortunately timed coincidence.

I get these quite often from different sources,this morning an Evri delivery driver apparently missed me at 4am!

5 hours ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

Arrived not but half an hour ago. Stunning loco. Was curious as to whether this would have a diecast boiler as well as chassis, and indeed it does. Not test run yet though.

AA6412AE-A6CF-4489-A28C-B04AC7B12D4B.jpeg

C3338E1B-9320-44CC-A9BB-68D93D4F7809.jpeg

Have now had time to put the lovely new D1 alongside its sister D class. Lovely to see these two finally side by side. Particularly good for seeing how Dapol have improved the Olive livery with the D1 (see photo with D1 tender next to D class engine). Weight-wise, the D1 is slightly lighter than the D, but the D1 still has good weight with the diecast boiler. Has also run very nicely on initial testing, and no problems with buffers falling off this time either!

2E17D32C-9382-4CD9-A060-4D4C392A0EC5.jpeg

A9D2281C-48DD-4604-859D-59234E549F34.jpeg

6647EAC8-2F1F-4398-926B-0631BDDD50F2.jpeg

Edited by Olive_Green1923
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

It gets better.

First I get this from DPD:

Gabriel-Marius will deliver your RAILS OF SHEFFIELD LTD parcel

TODAY

17th June 2023

between

10:58-11:58

Then I get this at 11.24:

DPD Courier - Package Rescheduling

Dear Customer,

We regret to inform you that your package delivery was unsuccessful as there was nobody available at the specified address.

To reschedule the delivery, a small fee is required. Please note that the first delivery attempt was free of charge.

Please click the button below to proceed with the rescheduling process:

Reschedule Package

Thank you for choosing DPD Courier.

Best regards,

The DPD Courier Team

I replied  within ten minutes against the email address it came from complaining that they had not tried to deliver it.

(This would probably not reach them).

Then low and behold, five minutes later my door bell rang and there was the DPD driver with my parcel. He booked it on his tablet and said he did not know where the message had come from, although there was another DPD driver in the area and perhaps his machine had misread the reference.

I have opened the package (SE&CR Grey). The model is all present and correct with no damage apparent. It looks very nice, although I cannot test it at the moment.

All the best

Ray

Repeat Warning

Sounds like a scam , I  hope you have not paid anything. Same for all the readers watch out !!

Edited by micklner

No not touched their links or paid anything.

Would also note that I do not receive many parcels and this email was received within the projected one hour delivery period. So this seems more than just a conincidence.

Edited by wainwright1

2 hours ago, Olive_Green1923 said:

The loco doesn’t have traction tyres and so doesn’t have a replacement set of wheels.

I wonder why the change of heart on that ? ................. anyway saves the hassle of trying to get the decoder socket and miles of wiring back into the smokebox ! 🙃

5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I wonder why the change of heart on that ? ................. anyway saves the hassle of trying to get the decoder socket and miles of wiring back into the smokebox ! 🙃

Indeed. I am slightly surprised by the lack of accessories, given this is a £200 model, but I appreciate the high level of detail the model is already in out of the box. There also seems to be a mistake in the manual, as it shows how to attach the accessory cab doors….however, there are no accessory doors included, and there are no slots to attach them either as suggested in the manual. I assume this is a mistake by whoever wrote the manual, rather than an oversight in the cab design / manufacturing.

I was sore tempted on the BR early crest version, but with finances a bit tighter this year decided to hold pre-ordering until they were released. I was still um-ing and ah-ing, and then decided to take the plunge yesterday.

I made the mistake (depending on your viewpoint...) of looking on here first though, and ended up also ordering 1741 in the SR livery as a companion to my olive green D Class. It looks very smart in the images from Olive_Green1923 - Rails should have you on commission! 😄

Edited by mattkimster
  • Funny 1

My D1 has arrived care of DPD.  It is a delightful model and I am pleased to see that the cycling lion on the crest is facing the locomotive on both sides of the tender.  The other picture shows a Tri-ang Hornby L1 and how much models have improved over the last fifty years. My only criticism is that the coupling between the locomotive and tender is a bit delicate and fiddly. I hope to give the D1 a test run at our Wessex Group of the Hornby Collectors Association meeting this evening.

P1000974.JPG

P1000975.JPG

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

So the first problem for me. I have the BR version 31741. How does one get the tension lock couplings out in order to fit sonething different? Got the front coupling out but it came out with the socket too. Not a problem for me as I don't intend to fit a coupling there. But I cannot get the tender coupling out at all and I'm worried that if I use too much force something will break.

Anyone successfully done this?

1 hour ago, RFS said:

So the first problem for me. I have the BR version 31741. How does one get the tension lock couplings out in order to fit sonething different? Got the front coupling out but it came out with the socket too. Not a problem for me as I don't intend to fit a coupling there. But I cannot get the tender coupling out at all and I'm worried that if I use too much force something will break.

Anyone successfully done this?

I also found they were very tight to pull out, but didn't have tweezers to hand, so I didn't persist in order to avoid damage. Have you tried tweezers to squeeze the back of the coupling so the arms (or whatever they're called) can slide out?

• Informative/Useful 1