SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

On 12/11/2022 at 14:03, RFS said:

As the delivery is still marked for "Late Autumn" I asked Rails whether they had a delivery date yet, and this was their response -

"The Dapol D1 models are still due to be released towards the end of this year and we're currently awaiting confirmation of their arrival date into stock."

Spoke to the Dapol guys today at Warley and they said it’s March/April. Unfortunately they didn’t have any of the new samples on display.

Edited by Mizuno57
  • Thanks 7

• 1 month later...
On 05/03/2022 at 13:20, Venator said:

I do wonder how many of us in 1:76 scale would notice many of the dimensional differences. All I was trying to say is an E1 isn't a million miles away from a D1, whilst yes of course there are some differences like the cab and splasher positions. But then I'm the sort of person that didn't really care about Heljan's 33 having a slightly incorrect roof angle, or the Hornby 4VEP corridor being 0.00000000001mm out of scale.

Been looking at this over Xmas. There’s not a lot in it to convert one to t’other.

Above the running plate the power plant’s the same, as far as I can make out, despite the g/a*in Maidment, the E1 front drivers are 3” further forward and the rear 3” back.  The E1 cab is 3” less deep, and of course the 2” lesser driver diameter on the E1’s.

I reckon it would be worth acquiring a late D1 and building a Gibson S&D 2P chassis with the 6’6” drivers and fully motorised etc.,

Then bite the bullet (!), replace the splashers, cut-and-shut the cab and the job would be a good un’!

Probably little more expensive than buying, building, painting and lining a PDK kit and a lot less faff!

* TBF, there is possibility that the front driver- rear bogie wheel centres are the same distance apart, but that the E1 bogie is 3” further forward.  Certainly the bogie guard irons seem almost proud of the buffer beam on the E1.

Edited by Chuffed 1

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

All dimensions from the front to the leading drivers are identical - then the E/E1 have a 6'' longer coupled wheelbase than the D/D1 and 3'' shorter rear overhang ..... so 3'' longer overall.

In the old days, the difference of 1mm would not have bothered people much. These days, it demands practically an entire new tooling suite for a new class.

The D1 was announced February last year, so I wonder if we will see a new announcement for E etc....

There are six 4-4-0 SECR classes which made in sufficient numbers  to BR class, D, D1, E, E1, L and L1 (the latter appearing in SR days but derived from L). So one class a year????

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 03/01/2023 at 13:01, JSpencer said:

There are six 4-4-0 SECR classes which made in sufficient numbers  to BR class, D, D1, E, E1, L and L1 (the latter appearing in SR days but derived from L). So one class a year????

yeah, but we really don't care about the 4-4-0s and want a Maunsell Z :)

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

yeah, but we really don't care about the 4-4-0s and want a Maunsell Z :)

The Z was an interesting loco, of course, but it seldom went far beyond station or yard limits. The 4-4-0s were visible over many miles of the Southern, from Ramsgate to Reading and more. Which is likely to sell better? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The Z was an interesting loco, of course, but it seldom went far beyond station or yard limits. The 4-4-0s were visible over many miles of the Southern, from Ramsgate to Reading and more. Which is likely to sell better? 

Given the recent successes of quirky oddball prototypes in model form, I’d wager the Z would, to be honest. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

So - perfect for a shunting plank or a terminus+fiddle yard!

Yes, but it needs to have a reason for using Z rather than lesser tank locos, of which the Southern inherited a glittering array from the Pre-Group companies. Banking between the Exeters was where I saw them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Big James said:

I would want them here sooner but I’m happy as it gives me more time to save up for a second 1

big james

I have been hesitant about getting Dapol locos with sound because the premium for sound is higher than that for other manufacturers. However, after getting my paws on a Manor with sound, I’ve been impressed enough to pay the extra. All the same, the delay is welcome! 

• Agree 1