SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Yesterday, Rails provided details of Dapol's expected release programme for June/July and the SECR grey version of the D1 is included, but not the other versions.

History repeating itself and wartime grey the only colour available / cost effective? 😆

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rembrow said:

Yesterday, Rails provided details of Dapol's expected release programme for June/July and the SECR grey version of the D1 is included, but not the other versions.

The page on Rails, still says Late Autumn - so maybe an error. I better make sure I have the funds available just in case though!

37 minutes ago, stephennicholson said:

The page on Rails, still says Late Autumn - so maybe an error. I better make sure I have the funds available just in case though!

The dcc ready SECR grey version has been updated to June/July , the sound version is Autumn.

• RMweb Premium

The dcc ready SECR grey version has been updated to June/July , the sound version is Autumn.

Not sure where you are seeing its being updated? Still clearly says Autumn on the Rails site. (NB I would like to be wrong - less waiting!)

image.thumb.png.397b9fcf312d46340e6f87dedafa87d9.png

Edited by stephennicholson
removed duplicate image

1 hour ago, stephennicholson said:

Not sure where you are seeing its being updated? Still clearly says Autumn on the Rails site. (NB I would like to be wrong - less waiting!)

image.thumb.png.397b9fcf312d46340e6f87dedafa87d9.png

It did say June/July when I looked, but is now back to late Autumn. The lonk to the Dapol release info still has it listed, interesting to see what gappens. No use to me as I have a latr BR one on order.

• 3 months later...

8 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Hmmm .......... everything's still listed as 'Late Autumn' - but is that Meterological Autumn ( which ends on 31st November ) or Astronomical Autumn ( which ends on 21st December ) ? : no doubt we'll find out in due course !

As much as I would love for them to arrive sooner rather then later. I got quite a few big commitments coming up. At least after Xmas I’ll be able to get more than 1

big James 

Edited by Big James
Spelling

Is there an error with the late BR livery as the wheel held by the lion is facing forward on both sides. Dapol made a mistake on the D with the early BR in not having the lion facing forward on both sides, this is correct on the samples for the early D1  but the late crests are now incorrectly forward facing on both sides. The earlier livery samples of the late crest version was ok. I will e-mail Rails as when the D error was identified  they and Dapol were unwilling to replace the tender top  unless 31246 was one of the few BR late crest with forward facing on both sides.

Edited by rembrow

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Is there an error with the late BR livery as the wheel held by the lion is facing forward on both sides. Dapol made a mistake on the D with the early BR in not having the lion facing forward on both sides, this is correct on the samples for the early D1  but the late crests are now incorrectly forward facing on both sides. The earlier livery samples of the late crest version was ok. I will e-mail Rails as when the D error was identified  they and Dapol were unwilling to replace the tender top  unless 31246 was one of the few BR late crest with forward facing on both sides.

Yes good to see that 31741 now has a forward facing early emblem on the right as well as the left (so I've now ordered one)!  Also good to see the corrected lining on 31246's cab side.  31246 was one of seven D1s which did receive forward facing late crests on both sides so is actually correct.  Info from 'Southern Style After Nationalisation, 1948-1964' / John Harvey / HMRS.

I'm still annoyed about my D with backward facing early emblem and still haven't got round to changing it!

Chris KT   

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

9 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

Yes good to see that 31741 now has a forward facing early emblem on the right as well as the left (so I've now ordered one)!  Also good to see the corrected lining on 31246's cab side.  31246 was one of seven D1s which did receive forward facing late crests on both sides so is actually correct.  Info from 'Southern Style After Nationalisation, 1948-1964' / John Harvey / HMRS.

I'm still annoyed about my D with backward facing early emblem and still haven't got round to changing it!

Chris KT   

Thank you Chris for the information about 31246, it's a minefield, but great that they have done thorough research.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

Chris KT   

Thanks Chris, you beat me to confirming the late crest arrangement is actually correct in this instance. 

Edited by Graham_Muz
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good morning everyone

The lining on the tenders of the BR models doesn't look quite right to me. Shouldn't the bottom tender lining line up with the bottom of the cabside lining? I've tried finding images to illustrate my point. Not spending too much time on this I've got a couple that hopefully show what I'm driving at. Anyone else see it? Is there too much of a gap between the bottom tender lining the the tender running plate? The top lining also looks a bit too low. 

D1a.jpg.73a5b0f5dd985307b5b4b589c26fa322.jpgD1b.jpg.9fd64900ffdc471b126bcf4437e3b76c.jpg

The earlier livery samples seemed to be OK and looked closer to the prototype.

Cheers

Andy.

Edited by Ventnor
Spelling.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to have one of these. Not only am I (slowly) building a model of Gravesend West Street Station, but I was a toddler when E1 31507 took a rail tour into the station.

My older brother remembers this, I would probably have been in the upstairs room overlooking the station, but of course can’t remember it!

As the E1’s were effectively the same class, I believe that 31741 would be the best bet to renumber as 31507.  Can any of you more knowledgeable gentlemen confirm/deny this, please?

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Chuffed 1 said:

I have to have one of these. Not only am I (slowly) building a model of Gravesend West Street Station, but I was a toddler when E1 31507 took a rail tour into the station.

My older brother remembers this, I would probably have been in the upstairs room overlooking the station, but of course can’t remember it!

As the E1’s were effectively the same class, I believe that 31741 would be the best bet to renumber as 31507.  Can any of you more knowledgeable gentlemen confirm/deny this, please?

Hardly the same class, different wheelbase, different overall length, different coupling rods and different cab just for starters (but it's your model railway) 

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As the delivery is still marked for "Late Autumn" I asked Rails whether they had a delivery date yet, and this was their response -

"The Dapol D1 models are still due to be released towards the end of this year and we're currently awaiting confirmation of their arrival date into stock."

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1