Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

22 minutes ago, 73080 said:

I regret to state this, but Accurascale has turned its back on modellers of the steam/diesel transition period (i.e. 1962-68) who want diesels with gysp.

There was no class 37 for this period even though they label the model of D6702 on their web site as gysp mid-1960s.  Their image clearly indicates livery features that were not applied until 1969.  This is not mid-1960s and is after the end of steam in 1968.

Now they are not proposing a gysp class 31 for the steam/diesel transition period.

It can not be that the gysp Deltic models are unpopular, as of the two currently listed on their website, one is sold out.  In contrast, none of the two plain green models appear to have sold out.  Neither have any of the three fye Deltic models sold out.  So it can't be that Accurascale gsyp models are unpopular.

Until Accurascale demonstrate otherwise, it may be wise to assume it will be a long time (if ever ?) before we see Accurascale produce any gsyp model Class 31s or 37s for the 1962-68 period.  I can only assume that they have no personal interest in the period, and so have no interest in producing such models !

Oh dear , how sad, never mind…

I’m sure they’ll get to and make everyone’s own personal list eventually 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

After all they are not another manufacturer that has failed to listen and still have massive gaps in their 31 class range

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ll be running the blue/white stripe and blue/orange stripe together, which may upset some, but in my little parallel universe, the 40s and 25s also lasted a few years longer, and standard gauge is 4 foot 1 1/2 inches. I do think some people forget rule 1.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I’d expect a full yellow end to be applied by 1969. This looks bang on for your desired period, or easily tweaked if needed (remove the data panel??)

ECF4FE79-9632-4C3A-B28A-DF676BF4794F.jpeg

It is true that it could be tweaked to represent the 1962-1968 period, but it would require the removal of the NB and TOPS panels.  I am not convinced that that I could do so without making a mess, unless I weathered the model, which I did not wish to do.  Therefore, I did not order this model.  As it is now sold out at Accurascale, they have not suffered from my lack of order.

In the Class 37 thread, on November 20, 2019, 50B55B posted:

"The D6702 graphic depicts a pretty rare combination of small yellow end with TOPS data panel, whereas the D6704 graphic depicts GFYE without a TOPS data panel, which locos with full yellow ends commonly had. Are these graphics based on photos of the prototypes?

Also, if the 41A shedcode depiction is a representation of the paint stencilled style rather than the early cast shedplates the 41A should be on one line, not with the A below the number."

In response Accurascale Fran posted:

"Well spotted and an error on our part. It will be corrected and updated."

The 41A shed code was changed on the graphics, but not the TOPS panel or NB which remain.

I am puzzled by McC's comments that the graphics (of D6702) will be changed to be 100% accurate.  It is not possible for it to be mid-1960s and have TOPS panels and NB.  Do you now wish to disappoint everybody who thought they were buying a model with TOPS panel and NB ?

NOTE: the class 37.co.uk website states for D6702:

- boiler removed 15 Feb 1969

- painted standard blue August 1969

1 hour ago, 73080 said:

I regret to state this, but Accurascale has turned its back on modellers of the steam/diesel transition period (i.e. 1962-68) who want diesels with gysp.

There was no class 37 for this period even though they label the model of D6702 on their web site as gysp mid-1960s.  Their image clearly indicates livery features that were not applied until 1969.  This is not mid-1960s and is after the end of steam in 1968.

Now they are not proposing a gysp class 31 for the steam/diesel transition period.

It can not be that the gysp Deltic models are unpopular, as of the two currently listed on their website, one is sold out.  In contrast, none of the two plain green models appear to have sold out.  Neither have any of the three fye Deltic models sold out.  So it can't be that Accurascale gsyp models are unpopular.

Until Accurascale demonstrate otherwise, it may be wise to assume it will be a long time (if ever ?) before we see Accurascale produce any gsyp model Class 31s or 37s for the 1962-68 period.  I can only assume that they have no personal interest in the period, and so have no interest in producing such models !

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Frankly quite amazed at"73080"s statement. There were 263 Brush type twos built and within the first ten years of their careers there were changes to standard, in terms of modification and livery changes. This is a brand new model from Accurascale announced just this week, even though they have clearly been working on the project for a long time.  Given Accurascale's delivery of multiple different offerings of the same basic design, does it not occur to you that the GSYP versions of the loco will be extremely popular and will therefore most definitely be be in Accurascale's plans. What you or I don't know is how many limited editions there are likely to be, and what and when the next tranche of development will be. 

I am a transition era modeller and will be ordering a blue D5544, from the first "ten" announcement, but will almost certainly be ordering a GSYP version when it is announced.  I think your assertion that Accurascale has "turned it's back" is actually rubbish and says more about you than what you written  You only need to take a look at Accurascale's class 37 and 55 catalogue to see that. 

You need to exercise a little patience sunbeam. i  

Edited by Covkid
typo
  • Like 8
  • Agree 8

This only the first production run. Surely the different era livery variations will be catered for over time in future production runs. From what I can gather, the liveries in the first run are largely ones which Hornby were asked to do, but, didn't, so filling in gaps of models not previously released. So a little bit of patience may be rewarded in the future.

I stand to be corrected, if what I have said is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Nice to see developments of the class 31, Im late to the party after having a busy few days, but did see the announcement and thought it was doing to go down well. The choices and variants included are also looking interesting as the possibilities of many of the details the class featured can be done. The liveries chosen represent many specific ones that will capture the novelty element of the class with things such as the white stripe BR livery being something not often seen. 

What will also be important will be if there are any limited edition style models done for partner retailers and what liveries these might feature if done.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Give the guy a break . While I don’t subscribe to the Accurascale has abandoned mid 60s modellers , I have a green With small yellow warning panel Deltic on order , the lack of a small yellow warning panel 31 is surprising . I know it’ll probably come eventually but I think along with banger blue 31/1 there’s probably a demand for these liveries all the time 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I do feel a lot of sympathy for manufacturers these days -

1) the most in demand models, ones that can justify the design and tooling costs to be top notch, are in many cases going to be long lived ones

2) they will therefore have myriad liveries and design changes

3) the D & E era now spans three major epochs - steam/diesel transition; blue/sector years; and the quarter century since privatisation, each with numerous combinations within

It is therefore by my reckoning simply not possible first time out to cover anything like all the desired versions. They will come, everyone can't all be first!

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Hi Fran,

Looking forward to the 31’s. Do you know if it would be correct to renumber the model of D5549 to D5600 in terms of detail. Also is there any intention to cover other variants in the future such as one of the non Toffee apple skinhead/disc versions (D5520-29/35/39/43/47/51/52/55/56/59/62) in pre tops and plain BR green without warning panels. Lastly how about the experimentally liveried locos D5578 in Blue and D5579 in ochre/gold both without yellow warning panels.

Thanks Fred 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 73080 said:

Ever thought about the fact that there may be no decent  Mirrlees JVS12T sound files available at the moment, that are up to the standard that Accurascale expects. This might have something to do with commercial viability and why D5549 is not been offered as a sound fitted version.

Question for Accurascale.  Will D5549 still be fitted with speaker(s?) when bought as DCC ready?

TIA,

P

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Also is there any intention to cover other variants in the future such as one of the non Toffee apple skinhead/disc versions (D5520-29/35/39/43/47/51/52/55/56/59/62) in pre tops and plain BR green without warning panels. Lastly how about the experimentally liveried locos D5578 in Blue and D5579 in ochre/gold both without yellow warning panels.

Yes

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Question for Accurascale.  Will D5549 still be fitted with speaker(s?) when bought as DCC ready?

If we fail on our quest to secure a Mirlees sound recording we're happy with, then yes, we'll add the 'AccuraThrash' big speaker into the DCC ready version.

All our DCC ready models already include the Stay Alive, Working Fans, Flange Squeal sensors and 'minithrash'  iPhone style speaker as standard. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1