Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

31418 attracted a considerable following in the early 90’s around Manchester on Barrow, Blackpool and Southport workings. It was one of the lessor knackered ones and showed up often… though it was often dumped or towed back.

By this point it was gradually getting worse, but had its distinct skinhead, but also gained white spots around its former headcode disc lights, and lost a front centre window, replaced by a wedge of wood.

I own shares in 31418 :) and all the other A1A Locomotives 31s.

Roy

• Like 5

It was surprising now far these Type 2s could roam - on 28/5/73 on my way back home to WR territory after visiting a friend in Newcastle I was somewhat perplexed at the sight of Old Oak Common's 5535 stabled at York! A very long way from Paddington ECS duties. One month and a day later Bath Road's green 5827 reached Penzance on 1V76  from Leeds. The WR's Class 25s were not trusted to roam so far, or by themselves on Class 1 passenger workings, especially over the Cornish main line (that was a brave piece of diagramming, which is maybe why it found itself dumped in Truro yard on its return journey and towed back to Laira by D1049 with 7575 for company!)

5827 was still green when renumbered 31294 on 15/2/74 but was called to Doncaster on 2/3/74 for overhaul and repaint into blue, so probably not worthy of RTR consideration.........photos are exceedingly rare, as Russ Saxton and I frequently discussed - did anyone happen to visit Doncaster Works during the first week of March 1974 and photograph it there, even if in the background of Deltic views? (Clutching at straws now!)

• Like 2

On the versions with headcode numbers is it possible to change these to dominos using the interchangeable headcodes or is there more to it than that?!

Just wondering if I can make 31248 more mid 80s condition as photos on Flickr show it still with the door tablet cut outs in 1986! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Global said:

On the versions with headcode numbers is it possible to change these to dominos using the interchangeable headcodes or is there more to it than that?!

Just wondering if I can make 31248 more mid 80s condition as photos on Flickr show it still with the door tablet cut outs in 1986! 

Indeed yes, we provide a sheet of suitable head codes and dominos with all applicable locos. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just got an e-mail regarding some new liveries for those locos fitted with LT trip cock gear. There is one with a small yella panel :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Better put me money where me mouth is.

At Modelrail Scotland I spoke with Fran and started to talk about how the cab sides from the doors tapering to the buffer beam were slightly curved. I was able say that was something I found while scratchbuilding my model.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2022 at 10:46, XChris said:

Well it’s not like there going to make a habit of producing purple Locos…

Just everyone who had a 1600Ein there life,the colour is Aubergine if i remember correct.probably the missing link on Oxford die cast cars.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Just got an e-mail regarding some new liveries for those locos fitted with LT trip cock gear. There is one with a small yella panel :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Better put me money where me mouth is.

At Modelrail Scotland I spoke with Fran and started to talk about how the cab sides from the doors tapering to the buffer beam were slightly curved. I was able say that was something I found while scratchbuilding my model.

They looked great, especially the 'wonky eyed' one with the toughened windscreen. I though it looked absolutely hideous back in the day, now I have one on order!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

why are they showing at £141.66 on FB link ?

Is that VAT free ?

Facebook always strips the VAT on all pricing. Once on the website it will show vat if you are browsing from within the UK otherwise the price displayed will exclude VAT. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I must admit im getting more to the point where i think i will wait until Accurascale release it rather than buying other makes,they put there all into the project and engage more with there customers its more of a fan base.I applaude the if it aint right we dont do it approach of the sound models not produced until they get the real thing.The modellers model company at its best,thank you guys.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 14/03/2022 at 13:31, No Decorum said:

Giles cartoons are superb. It’s the little details that repay a short study. “Next train Wed.” in this one and the coach door knocked off by struggling commuters in the next one. :D Didn’t he draw the 31 carefully and isn’t the poodle delightful?

Yes, it's well observed. I do believe this may have been the drawing Hornby used...

The Nim.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

They did look good in the flesh today - I am very tempted. Originally I would have liked a Network Rail liveried one but the more research I do I really like the coal sector liveried versions - think the livery works well on them. I know Hornby did 31130 Calder Hall but I couldn’t say no if it was redone as an Accurascale model.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Hound Dog said:

Am I the only one who was excited to at last see at SYE Green Class 31, but then only to be disappointed that a sound fitted option was not available ?

And we’ve explained why that isn’t possible Hound Dog, at the present time.

If, or when, we manage to track down a suitable candidate (Scottish Rig Tug boat anyone?), or find a way of converting archive recordings in a way that we are happy with, we will not be shortchanging our customers with an inferior sound recording. 
Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, McC said:

Indeed yes, we provide a sheet of suitable head codes and dominos with all applicable locos. 

Thanks McC, although I’ve just spotted the front doors look to be split on the artwork - but they all seem to have been plated over by the early 80s - bu**er! 

Aghh well, maybe a later version could be 31245 with plated front doors which also retained BR Blue and tablet catchers into 1986?! 

Edited by Global
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Islesy said:

And we’ve explained why that isn’t possible Hound Dog, at the present time.

If, or when, we manage to track down a suitable candidate (Scottish Rig Tug boat anyone?), or find a way of converting archive recordings in a way that we are happy with, we will not be shortchanging our customers with an inferior sound recording. 
Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul 

Not sure if it was you I was talking to yesterday,  I mentioned a mirlees power unit that was for sale about a year ago.

Twenty odd years ago I was involved with the North Norfolk railway and once we restored the 37 we talked about buying a 31 . An ex loco mirlees unit was on a farm in Lincolnshire and plan was hatched to recreate a 30 there were a few of very skilled loco engineers involved in project including Chris Broadhirst and Tony Long who are sadly no longer with us. Unfortunately due to various reasons it didn't happen and the then diesel group folded, a real shame as that would be ideal now.

I've heard a very brief clip of one on a film called a city and its freight they appear and I've been told by people that worked them the exhaust note was not dissimilar to the EE unit but a little deeper and thoatier. 

Hope you manage to find a suitable source of sound

Russ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1