Site performance issues - March 2022

• Administrators
1 hour ago, grahame said:

Any chance of also taking a look at the empty (formerly advertising) banner that creeps down from the top and obliterates the notifications, profiles and other options, preventing them being selected?

Thanks in anticipation.

Leave it with me. I assume that's mobile-only?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, SteveCole said:

I assume that's mobile-only?

It's the tablet version that I've been nagging NG about for weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

No chance. I don't want to be responsible for you lot any longer than I have to be!

Sounds like it will soon be time to pack your little cardboard suitcase. bucket and spade etc. and head off to the seaside too!!. Yes the site has been a bit slow but sh^t it's not the end of  the world, I'm sure it will be fixed in good time..........wouldn't have a Mods job for quids, even if I could do it!!:unsure:.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 11/03/2022 at 10:11, SteveCole said:

It's being sorted now.

Excellent. It appears sorted now. No blank creeping top edge banner. Thanks.

Next to tackle are the pointless videos (they are not adverts) which seem to have been on test for many months now, jump around and take up around a fifth of the entire screen (more if you are typing content as the display keyboard pushes it up) as well as covering content.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, grahame said:

Next to tackle are the pointless videos (they are not adverts) which seem to have been on test for many months now, jump around and take up around a fifth of the entire screen (more if you are typing content as the display keyboard pushes it up) as well as covering content.

They help pay for your free access to the site.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AY Mod said:

They help pay for your free access to the site.

They are not adverts so I'm not sure if anyone pays for them. I thought they were some kind of test. The problem is that they cover content (making the site difficult to use and read,) rather than the content flowing around them, and on the tablet, unlike on the laptop, there is no X to click on to close them.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, grahame said:

They are not adverts

They are placeholders for adverts to be served. If you wish to view pages without them you can choose Gold/World of Railways +.

Anyway, this topic relates to server performance, not the adverts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm calling it a day with being a member of BRM. There seems to be issue after issue with this forum and constantly slow speeds. 

You shouldn't have to join but you need to or otherwise you just get bombarded with videos and adverts. It's pure f*****g crap.

Edited by Kevin Johnson

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Well I'm calling it a day with being a member of BRM. There seems to be issue after issue with this forum and constantly slow speeds. 

You shouldn't have to join but you need to or otherwise you just get bombarded with videos and adverts. It's pure f*****g crap.

It's not like I haven't given explanations nor been working on the right long term improvement rather than exhausting the Elastoplast tin.

Your post just comes across as petulant, just think about the time I've expended on your multiple accounts and multiple on/off Classified ads.

Have a word with yourself.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

It has been terrible today, intermittently very slow, occasionally fast and the server has been up and down like a tarts knickers. 522 and 524 errors all over the place.

Just to say thanks (again) to @AY Mod for all his work trying to get the forum to run properly.

Like everyone, I am finding the slowdown extremely frustrating, but not as frustrating as not having access to RMWeb at all.

The satnav app on my phone is currently set to “well-being” and often says things like, “Thinking about it, maybe the journey was the best part of your day?”  When Andy has everything finally sorted and running smoothly again, maybe we will all appreciate more “the journey” of surfing RMWeb.

SteveyDee68

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just to say thanks (again) to @AY Mod for all his work trying to get the forum to run properly.

Like everyone, I am finding the slowdown extremely frustrating, but not as frustrating as not having access to RMWeb at all.

The satnav app on my phone is currently set to “well-being” and often says things like, “Thinking about it, maybe the journey was the best part of your day?”  When Andy has everything finally sorted and running smoothly again, maybe we will all appreciate more “the journey” of surfing RMWeb.

SteveyDee68

Quite right. In the era of Covid and Ukraine, complaining about RMweb seems a bit First-World. 

• Agree 11

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

It wouldn't have been doing anything at all if I hadn't intervened at 3.30 this morning. Truly racked off with Dediserve at the mo.

And I bet they claim no one else is having these issues.

(Been told that one before now by a machinery manufacturer, but when I eventually happened to talk to another user I discovered, surprise, surprise, that quite a few folk were having the same problems as I was.)

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1