#TooT

Dreadnought05

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Can't see this getting far without one or two locos launched at same time as track. 

Yes it needs a loco and some coaches. I'm guessing the obvious one to do would be a Pannier 0-6-0?

Well I'm scratching my head. This isn't the direction I'd expected this to come from. It's a scale ripe for new life, but:

1:120? So all those nice 1:100 Parkside kits from the 3mm Society won't be much use. 

The tight clearances won't accommodate your old Tri-ang stock. 

This week is a popular time for looking up TT on the Web, but not for toy trains...

• Agree 2

A little confusing given TT’s original 1:120 scale has already morphed to 1:100 scale in Britain, but I guess as it’s so niche Peco feel they can correctly reintroduce it with the proper proportions. 

Whether this has legs depends on other RTR manufacturers embracing the scale, but it’s actually a good size that pulls from the benefits of both OO/HO and N.

Unexpected but I have to applaud Peco for trying something really bold and attempting to open up a new direction within the hobby.

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

1:120? So all those nice 1:100 Parkside kits from the 3mm Society won't be much use. 

Perhaps Peco have an eye on the existing (and quite strong) 1:120 TT following in Europe, where Peco are already a successful supplier of track in other scales, as well as hopefully rebooting TT here via with a correct/true scale/gauge relationship rather than simply perpetuating yet another ancient British compromise/bodge as seen in the old, rather crude by modern standards, legacy Tri-ang? 

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Peco 12mm track is already available - but with code 75 rail and different sleeper spacing for HOm Narrow Gauge.

This 12mm gauge track system is accurately modelled in H0 on the metre gauge track found in Europe, most notably in Switzerland. It is also useful for modelling the 3ft 6ins track found in southern Africa, Japan, Australia, Norway and parts of South America; in 4mm scale the gauge is correct for the many 3ft gauge lines formerly found in Ireland and the Isle of Man. This versatile track could also be used for modelling in TT (3mm/ft scale)

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Great for building layouts in 2022 but not so good if you're a toy museum 😉

39 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Well I'm scratching my head. This isn't the direction I'd expected this to come from. It's a scale ripe for new life, but:

On the other hand, if they'd continued to perpetuate the old British scale issue - when in this case they have an extremely rare opportunity to change it - it would have been a massive missed opportunity.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

This is very interesting and rather exciting. However, I am struggling to see what one will run in terms of British outline? Surely, these launches from PECO must be part of a coordinated release with one or more RTR manufacturers? Otherwise, it is a case of building very quiet and sleepy GWR branch line layouts.

😀

Still, I wish PECO every success and look forward to seeing future developments and releases. Oh and made in the UK to boot!

Kind regards 

Paddy 

Edited by Paddy

• RMweb Premium

From the video, it seems clear that there are loco, coaches and wagons coming. If there were not then why go on about all items being the same scale? It will be interesting to seem if there is another manufacture coming in on this.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, stewartingram said:

Am I missing something here?

Apart from the I #TooT message, have they ACTUALLY announced something yet?

Look at page 2, towards the end. There is a video of the announcement. It boils down to TT track, buildings and a wagon all to 1/120 scale. 

• Thanks 1

Observing the history of model railways, it seems to be that technology enables them to get smaller and smaller. A scale about half the size of the preceding dominant scale seems to become established and intermediate scales wither. Hence: 0, 00, and N. TT was a good idea (as pointed out in the Peco video, TT = Table Top) but ultimately it withered. If the table top aspect is emphasised, Kato style track would be better than the Peco approach.

On the other hand, existing British gauge/scale lash ups are a bit of a mess. What I find most interesting here is a new start where gauge and scale match and using  fine scale standards. If it takes off, it will take off slowly, I should think, as people ponder a scale to start with. As pointed out, there must be a loco in the pipeline from someone, otherwise it doesn’t make sense. There’s nothing to stop people having a little TT layout as well as their preferred scale.

TT has been said to permit much of the detail of 00 whilst being less fiddly than N. I hope it succeeds but it isn’t for me; not as long as 00 demands every spare penny!

• RMweb Gold

So the track caters for the existing European ranges of TT and the buildings are on their laser cutter as it’s a lot cheaper than setting up a plastic kit. It looks like the only high risk they’re investing much in is the wagon 😉

Much like the 009 range they’ve probably got some fingers in the pie with another manufacturer who might test the water with a loco, which from the GWR themed buildings may be a pannier? 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Gaugemaster have announced additional items in TT, and are thinking of offering a Class 66, subject to demand. 

Source:

Mostly rebranded items from Noch, Sommerfeldt etc I guess? A good grouping though and is the 66 an existing European model in TT that can be a special edition in Uk liveries?

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Gaugemaster have announced additional items in TT, and are thinking of offering a Class 66, subject to demand. 

Source:

Mmm, now that is very interesting! Being a man with a 3D printer (or 6) I could even muster some stuff for a 66 to pull. 1:120 just feels a bit too close to N. 1:100, splitting the difference more would feel more useful. I realise though that 1:120 sits better between 1:87 and 1:160. 

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

This week is a popular time for looking up TT on the Web, but not for toy trains...

It's almost like Peco have looked at what modern TT modellers use in other countries, and decided to follow those standards. British OO is too far gone for modellers to shift to HO sadly, but I'm glad to see 1:120 being established. Perhaps it's time to leave the Triang items on the museum shelf and create modern items for modern modellers? It's a shame about the kits but I see a bigger range than track, buildings and a wagon coming from Peco and other parties. If it takes off, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bachmann or Dapol enter the market too.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Mostly rebranded items from Noch, Sommerfeldt etc I guess? A good grouping though and is the 66 an existing European model in TT that can be a special edition in Uk liveries?

I thought it was an odd choice, but now you've said that, I bet there is an existing continental TT 66 that could be done in an EWS livery. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, njee20 said:

1:100, splitting the difference more would feel more useful. I realise though that 1:120 sits better between 1:87 and 1:160. 

But then it’d need to be 14.2mm track and there’s no wider European or US markets for that 😉

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1

Think a 66 would look a little odd on a TT GWR branch line.

Of course using European bogie stock it would be easy to do a modern layout of just 66s and not be far off prototype. 😀

Accurascale announcement at midday - how big a risk for them to do a little GWR engine to go with this Peco development?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2