Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

As someone who witnessed at first hand the avalanche of the 37 ( aka EE Type 3 ) into South Wales from 1963 to 1966 and given the selection of first release,Bachmann must be laying in wait for my cash. Cardiff Canton & Cwmbran . I still retain memories of the footbridge at Canton in the days of 86C & its Brits. Well done Bachmann. Great PR work in YouTube video too. Unfortunately for my finances,I am but a short distance from DEMU. Competition is healthy and I still keenly await the arrival of Accurascale’s version too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. Bachmann have a solid customer base and a good track record of delivering smooth running and well finished models. On this last point i think Accurascale should take note. The AS house style seems to me more matte than Bachmann and the paint itself a little easier to scuff. Wheels arent blackened and some detail has been proven to be a little delicate.

Love my AS 2 Deltics and looking forward to my Manor and 37 but good to see Bachmann aren’t taking the new competition lying down. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I think the Accurascale 37 looks better in the photos I've seen and is cheaper. It also has a better speaker and stay alive. The Bachmann's Zimo decoder may well appeal to some. Bachmann made some play regarding their loco being less fragile which may well be true. And, to be fair to them, their spares service is second to none.

The competition is really producing some stunning models right now.

• Like 2

I don't know enough about the details to tell which manufacturer has better accuracy.

Both look excellent.

But costing nearly £50 more even with the box shifters' discount, is whatever detail difference going to be worth the extra?

So is this a case of the conflict being merely down to the perceived need for secrecy of what you've already got in development, or is it a deliberate attempt to undermine the smaller competitor? 

I have an Accurascale one on order and I can't see any reason why I would want to switch to this new one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

I wish Bachmann all the best with this but for me it’s (as another member posted earlier) dependent on liveries / running numbers as price wise it does seem rather steep when compared to the competition.

That said I’ll pick up the club exclusive in either case as does look an absolutely stunning model.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, virginhst539 said:

Cant be time for the next few months announcements already? Does not seem that long since the last one

Early August. So not next week, I think in the video they said "in just over a week".

Last one was start of May.

Closest comparison I can find was the 37/4's

Bachmann

35-355SF-01.jpg.9ad84ed1cf95a36082dfbbfb64628292.jpg

Accurascale

chrome_fxEUuNzH1r.jpg.1bab87645f89d41e4ebd2c5d38648371.jpg

+ The Bachmann's are going to look interesting in their sound-deluxe variants with their chromatic glazing

+ Unique sound project
+ Unique liveries
+ Slightly better chain on the Bachmann?
+ Some really nice cab details

- Obvious seam line on the Bachmann nose
- Painted bogie detail on the Accurascale is better?
- Not too sure on the cab rails on the Bachmann? Same with the climb-up plates

- No snow-plough mention on the Bachmanns? (Yes 37430 didn't have them...)

Edited by Delta_Who
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Yeah, that’s a standard run model 

7 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

more interested in their 47363 (but that’s for another thread)

51 minutes ago, Legend said:

isn’t the first batch of Accurascale more or less sold out anyway ? I think the battleground will be against a possible 2nd batch from Accurascale . I hope the Bachmann one doesn’t kill this off - I don’t think so .  But the Accurascale boys need to announce pretty quickly as in fairness Bachmann have some models to sell now , with others announced next week .  I want a Scottish 37/4 and I know who I’d rather give my money to . 

By the time a second batch come, all the tooling has been done so might as well make use of the asset to produce whatever is going to sell from it.

• Like 1

Doesn't look like it'll have opening cab doors anymore, unlike the existing Bachmann 37/4. I always thought Bachmann executed this feature better than Hornby.

It's also a shame they've gone for EWS Cardiff Canton as the Vitrains model isn't too bad once fully detailed and weathered. There's plenty of other EWS 37/4's that have never been done yet.

The new tooling is definitely welcome and gives the modeller more choice. I suspect I'll end up buying both AS and Bachmann models.

• Like 1

Looks very nice, but can I be the first smart @rse to point out that they seem to have missed the unique detail feature of 37422 amongst the 37/4s? It retains the second step on the tumblehome towards No2 end. This was plated at refurb, but it reappeared again around 1988 after some collision damage repairs.

just to point out that Accurascale have got this feature right on 37051, which has two steps on one side.

not being negatively critical, but it just shows how much the game has been upped in recent years.

37422 'Cardiff Canton' Bescot TMD

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Some good show only discounts with retailers on these first two livery releases at DEMU exhibition this weekend (as well as other show discounts on other items) so well worth a visit, as well as for the layouts!

Edit: having had chance to watch the Bachmann YouTube video tonight, 422 is a collectors club only model which was available from the Bachmann stand so the discounted prices I saw today could only have been for 430.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Update
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

Doesn't look like it'll have opening cab doors anymore, unlike the existing Bachmann 37/4. I always thought Bachmann executed this feature better than Hornby.

I think most companies have moved away from these. In my experience they were a bit of a gimmick, unless you liked posing with staff hanging out the door on a shed. Plus the extra cost to fiddle about with assembling them seems, to me, a bit unnecessary. A lot of the 37 releases recently have moved away from opening cab doors. It's very rare to see this feature used from what I can see.

I welcome Bachmann's efforts, and whilst it's kinda throwing shade at Accurascale, they did say they've been doing it on the quiet for the past 3-4 years, so technically before Accura's announcement.

Excellent stuff.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

whilst it's kinda throwing shade at Accurascale

Really? Are they not allowed to defend what they see as their part of the market? I don't understand negativity towards somebody redoing some tooling in reaction to competition (in a similar vein to how Hornby have had flak in recent times for "stomping").

Bachmann will have sold a lot of 37s over the years, it's ridiculous to suggest they shouldn't try to retain that revenue stream, it will not be insignificant and I expect exactly why Accurascale went after it.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, Delta_Who said:

Closest comparison I can find was the 37/4's

Bachmann

35-355SF-01.jpg.9ad84ed1cf95a36082dfbbfb64628292.jpg

Accurascale

chrome_fxEUuNzH1r.jpg.1bab87645f89d41e4ebd2c5d38648371.jpg

+ The Bachmann's are going to look interesting in their sound-deluxe variants with their chromatic glazing

+ Unique sound project
+ Unique liveries
+ Slightly better chain on the Bachmann?
+ Some really nice cab details

- Obvious seam line on the Bachmann nose
- Painted bogie detail on the Accurascale is better?
- Not too sure on the cab rails on the Bachmann? Same with the climb-up plates

- No snow-plough mention on the Bachmanns? (Yes 37430 didn't have them...)

The cab step etching on the Accurascale alone just gives that attention to detail that really catches my eye. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Really? Are they not allowed to defend what they see as their part of the market? I don't understand negativity towards somebody redoing some tooling in reaction to competition (in a similar vein to how Hornby have had flak in recent times for "stomping").

Bachmann will have sold a lot of 37s over the years, it's ridiculous to suggest they shouldn't try to retain that revenue stream, it will not be insignificant and I expect exactly why Accurascale went after it.

I think my comment has been worded in a way that's lead to it being read wrong. I apologise. It was intended to read in a way that suggests they've taken a bit of Bachmann's market, rather than 'Accurascale have taken the market and how dare Bachmann steal their market back'. I think I need more than 2 hours sleep tonight...

I'm all for this announcement.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I think its more aimed at the 'bits wont fall off' comment aimed at the accurascale class 55..... will be intresting to see what ones better but we have to remember this must be the 3rd class 37 Bachmann have done now. Early models with the nose ends that where off, current model and this new one. Could be wrong however

• Agree 1