Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

30 minutes ago, virginhst539 said:

but we have to remember this must be the 3rd class 37 Bachmann have done now

Not sure if that has any bearing on todays models or if it should impact our relationship with manufacturers for the reasons that our expectations of models are generational. If the manufacturer was seriously falling short in detail *cough Hornby APT/91/DVT cough* then maybe. But the new AS and Bachmann 37s look so marginal in detail, it really is going to come down to price, sound projects and respective finishes. All Bachmann have done here is respond to the market with as much effort as they can throw at it.

If I were Hattons, my super detail Class 66 wouldn't be looking too safe about now.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The one advantage at this stage for me is the fan on the SFX models. The problem is this would cost more than £100 on the basis that the SFX 47’s were rarely discounted unlike the the others. The others will still be a good £30-£50 more expensive too. Definitely room for both and as others have said the competition will only be good on such a popular model.

5 minutes ago, Delta_Who said:

Not sure if that has any bearing on todays models or if it should impact our relationship with manufacturers for the reasons that our expectations of models are generational. If the manufacturer was seriously falling short in detail *cough Hornby APT/91/DVT cough* then maybe. But the new AS and Bachmann 37s look so marginal in detail, it really is going to come down to price, sound projects and respective finishes. All Bachmann have done here is respond to the market with as much effort as they can throw at it.

If I were Hattons, my super detail Class 66 wouldn't be looking too safe about now.

And availability. Depending on name/livery issues sell out very quickly, so choice may be dictated by who has what at any particular time

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scottish-Exile said:

We had this one visit us the other day. If Anyone wants to do a 37/9 then they have my money 🤩

P1210462.JPG.c9c4da0ca8dbbd6232c8c2968b288525.JPG

I’m with you on that one, although it’d have to be a Mirrlees 37/9 for me. Earlier livery for preference.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere in the Bachmann empire is a huge warehouse housing the what seems to be several hundred Class 37 retool tooling from the last 20 odd years....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Somewhere in the Bachmann empire is a huge warehouse housing the what seems to be several hundred Class 37 retool tooling from the last 20 odd years....

On the opposite side of the world to Hornby's 'Flying Scotsman' retool tooling warehouse to avoid shifting the earth on it's axis😉

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Some good show only discounts with retailers on these first two livery releases at DEMU exhibition this weekend (as well as other show discounts on other items) so well worth a visit, as well as for the layouts!

Can you give some examples? It may sway my mind in terms of making the loooong drive!

21 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Any indication of drop in EM / P4 wheelsets to go with these (or indeed the new super-cooper detail 47)???

A/S drop in wheelsets for their Deltic arrived same day as the loco and are a game changer to my modelling world.

I agree it is good that Accurascale offer those, but how big a slice of the 4mm market is a manufacturer missing if they decide not to make special arrangments to cater for gauges like EM/P4 ?   Obviously gauges/scales such as N, HO and O are also not served by this announcement.  Those who work in EM/P4 have perforce made a decision to accept that track and rolling stock all need more work than those who are OO, but clearly there is no benefit to the manufacturer in making it unnecessarily  difficult to convert

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

And yet STILL the one model that people actually want and need to be remodelled (class 40) is left like low hanging fruit for someone to pluck and make a fortune on….

Could also say the same for the 50, both long in the tooth and plenty of shape errors but then I maybe slightly biased. 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I agree it is good that Accurascale offer those, but how big a slice of the 4mm market is a manufacturer missing if they decide not to make special arrangments to cater for gauges like EM/P4 ?   Obviously gauges/scales such as N, HO and O are also not served by this announcement.  Those who work in EM/P4 have perforce made a decision to accept that track and rolling stock all need more work than those who are OO, but clearly there is no benefit to the manufacturer in making it unnecessarily  difficult to convert

The main after market wheel

producers no longer offer contemporary conversion sets and most mainstream models over the past 5-10 years are therefore not as easily converted as those before. Personal Nelly, I’m not into building new chassis to do a conversion when the RTR chassis is reliable and well detailed.

id say the emergence of fully RTR EM track from Peco will see that segment grow so the availability of drop in wheels may just sway a purchase. SLW do very well with their drop in / factory fitted EM & P4 wheel but that doesn’t stop pure OO modellers buying the Bachmann alternative.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Slightly galling for us N Gaugers though where we have a nice Class 37 from the same manufacturer but still no tooling to provide the most common variant of Split Headcode version (cut buffer cowls, no headlamp and with the connecting doors still in place) whereas OO scale seems to have had multiple retools of the same models in the same space of time.

Pretty obvious where Bachmann deem the priority and which scale is the poor relation...

8 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Pretty obvious where Bachmann deem the priority and which scale is the poor relation...

As far as I am aware, the N gauge market is a fair bit smaller than the OO market. Maybe that is why?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Graham108 said:

But are they fastened to the body or the chassis - it's hard to tell on the photo's

Chassis - they are very keen to point that out in the video...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I hope that there will be a sound upgrade to the 'N' class 37 in the not too distant future, given what has been done with the class 31. I think it's possible that there will be an upgraded class 47 soon. The "Crewe cut" version was announced some time ago, but — in the showcase behind Richard Proudman in the video — there was what appeared to be a line of N gauge class 47s, including green and blue versions…

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

The main after market wheel

producers no longer offer contemporary conversion sets and most mainstream models over the past 5-10 years are therefore not as easily converted as those before. Personal Nelly, I’m not into building new chassis to do a conversion when the RTR chassis is reliable and well detailed.

id say the emergence of fully RTR EM track from Peco will see that segment grow so the availability of drop in wheels may just sway a purchase. SLW do very well with their drop in / factory fitted EM & P4 wheel but that doesn’t stop pure OO modellers buying the Bachmann alternative.

OK, so there's a gap in the market just now.  Just as various small kits manufacturers have retired.  Maybe one of the bigger manufacturers should spot that and produce the product you need - if not, it's an opening for somebody with the equipment and skills to set up a cottage industry.

A/S vs Bachmann 

The Deltic A/S is a far better cheaper model

Class 37 a very popular model. Yet the cost of living shooting up. 

I think I need to win the lottery :)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I had a look look and picked up the new Bachman 37 today at DEMU, have to say it looked excellent and the details were fairly sturdy.

They were also quick to point out in the video that their model would be robust in normal use......

Edited by Gilbert
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Black Prince said:

Whilst this is small, almost pointless detail  - look at the packaging A/S stuff turns up in. I imagine if I dropped my Deltic box it would dent the floor. The Bachmann packaging is getting dated now (10 years old?) and it isn’t the strongest of cardboard. 

I think this is an important point. Everything about the Accurascale Deltic screams quality, attention to detail and a premium experience across the board. It's easy to say the packaging, information and such like don't matter but if Accurascale are providing a very premium experience at a lower price point I do think it will affect value perception. I think this new 37 looks great and based on experience it'll be a very solid and dependable model, but I do think Bachmann might be well advised to re-consider their presentation. 

23 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

- if not, it's an opening for somebody with the equipment and skills to set up a cottage industry.

Even though the reason said suppliers are now not there, is because of a lack of market demand.

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, davidw said:

A/S vs Bachmann 

The Deltic A/S is a far better cheaper model

Class 37 a very popular model. Yet the cost of living shooting up. 

I think I need to win the lottery :)

This is a sweeping statement.It is cheaper,I grant you. Better ?  They are two different prototypes .So how can you compare ? Why …for now….do we find it necessary to indulge in premature comparisons?  Surely we should be content that models of such quality are available.

At this moment,I am running in my new 37430. On my tabletop alongside rest a number of Accurascale Deltics. I’m spoiled..like the cat who licked the cream. And I’m equally happy with both models. They ooze quality .

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

I hate to sound pessimistic, I welcome a buoyant market - but I have to comment on a few things - there is lots of other low hanging fruit to grab before a n other 37 as well as for the £374 SFX versions you still get the same “box experience” as a non special model. 

Whilst this is small, almost pointless detail  - look at the packaging A/S stuff turns up in. I imagine if I dropped my Deltic box it would dent the floor. The Bachmann packaging is getting dated now (10 years old?) and it isn’t the strongest of cardboard. 

I actually think the A/S model looks better - the Bachmann model still has the issue with light lenses / cab nose the last run did. 

I do rather agree with this to be honest, both in terms of the Accurascale packaging and the look of the loco itself. Like the new 47, there's just something I cant put my finger on that doesn't look right. It's an nice model, but if I were to vote with my feet I'd be buying the Accurascale model (not just on price but the comment mentioned below about everything Accuracies does screaming quality, attention to detail and a premium experience across the board). It's obvious Bachmann were working on this for a while, but I do wish we'd perhaps see a little less of the race to produce the ultimate everything, and perhaps either producing classes / locos / units that haven't been produced before - or at least of models that haven't been produced before (Vi-Trains owner of 37422 here!). Either way, it'll be interesting to see how the market copes with 2 very high detail 37s. 

• Agree 1