LNER Coronation Stock

Bishdurham

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I pre-ordered Commonwealth of Australia from a retailer to haul my Coronation set  but it seems to have disappeared from the Hornby website, though Empire of India is still shown.  Does anybody know the status of CoA?

I think it's sold out on pre-order. 

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lner-a4-class-4-6-2-4491-commonwealth-australia-era-3-r3992

Received over the last few days both 'Dominion of Canada' and 'Empire of India' from Hornby, so it looks like these could all be out now, I guess including this mentioned version of 'Commonwealth of Australia'.

On a personal note, just awaiting a version of 'Union of South Africa' (though not in BR late crest) now and I'll have the full set!

• Like 1

On 19/12/2023 at 22:01, Opelsi said:

Received over the last few days both 'Dominion of Canada' and 'Empire of India' from Hornby, so it looks like these could all be out now, I guess including this mentioned version of 'Commonwealth of Australia'.

On a personal note, just awaiting a version of 'Union of South Africa' (though not in BR late crest) now and I'll have the full set!

Don't forget Dominion of New Zealand!  I will have to get a set of these coaches as I seem to still have the addiction to A4's..I already have Dominion of Canada and Commonwealth of Australia, I'm in York at the moment and considering getting Empire of India... That would make 16 A4's...all in LNER liveries.

I picked up the latest Irwell press books on the A4's and A1/A3's wonderful photos from the NRM. Including the coronation sets. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 19/12/2023 at 22:01, Opelsi said:

Likewise, hoping for a “Union of South Africa” in original “Coronation” livery to match the coaches for which I finally gave in and preordered!

Either that or I’m going to have to give in and progress from being a “cheque-book” modeller to actually building and painting one myself…

• Agree 2

On 18/12/2023 at 12:59, 2750Papyrus said:

I pre-ordered Commonwealth of Australia from a retailer to haul my Coronation set  but it seems to have disappeared from the Hornby website, though Empire of India is still shown.  Does anybody know the status of CoA?

The loco is showing as in stock on the Hornby website today (23rd December) if you are still interested.

Brian

• Thanks 1

I ordered these like a shot when they were announced and I’m now wondering if I’ll regret it. Hornby did a good job on the Coronation Scot train, which reassured me. There are problems producing models of the Cornonation coaches, though.  Hornby has managed articulated coaches before, so that’s not a major worry. However, the fairings between the coaches do concern me. As far as I can see from the photographs posted earlier, the fairings look like fat gangways, which isn’t right at all. They should cover the ends of the coaches. Granted, it would be difficult to model but it is a very prominent feature – one likely to be observable from 3'.

On 22/12/2023 at 07:44, DougN said:

Don't forget Dominion of New Zealand!  I will have to get a set of these coaches as I seem to still have the addiction to A4's..I already have Dominion of Canada and Commonwealth of Australia, I'm in York at the moment and considering getting Empire of India... That would make 16 A4's...all in LNER liveries.

Not forgotten thanks. I have DofNZ as R2826 (BR  e/emblem) from 2009 plus CofA  (BR e/emblem) from 1999 as imported R2136.

Sadly though I cannot match your 14 as my meagre total only extends to 9! 

19 hours ago, Brian Indge said:

The loco is showing as in stock on the Hornby website today (23rd December) if you are still interested.

Brian

Also from Bure Valley Models in Aylsham: Hornby - R3992 - LNER, A4 Class, 4-6-2, 4491 Commonwealth Of Australia (burevalleymodels.com) - 8 in stock as I type at £196.19

17 hours ago, Opelsi said:

Not forgotten thanks. I have DofNZ as R2826 (BR  e/emblem) from 2009 plus CofA  (BR e/emblem) from 1999 as imported R2136.

I alao bought r2136, in part because it was marketed as a 'one off' of CofA by Hornby due to copyrighting over the coat of arms. I was a bit miffed when Hornby produced the loco again... and again and again in different forms.

On 23/12/2023 at 16:39, Opelsi said:

I did end up getting Empire of India it ran nicely at monk bar models. I look forward to getting it all the way home for a decent run and be able to install the Hornby sound chip. Has any one had one of the new A4's apart. The guys at Monk bar said it has firebox glow and a speaker already fitted. I am not sure this is right, it also doesn't bother me if not. Though it would be great if it was as good as Bachmanns G5 which I still think is one of the best sound and fire box I have seen. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DougN said:

Has any one had one of the new A4's apart. The guys at Monk bar said it has firebox glow and a speaker already fitted. I am not sure this is right, it also doesn't bother me if not.

I've recently received my Empire of India model and can confirm it has the "flickering firebox" LED fitted.

I didn't see a speaker in the tender however it is a 21 pin decoder so may be in the locomotive itself (but not had the body off to check/confirm).

It does however have a driver and fireman in the accessory bag which is a nice touch.

R.E the coronation coaches, I'm really looking forward to these as I also have the centenary Sir Nigel Gresley to share the running rights with E.O.I (as pictured):60007-sir-nigel-gresley-in-lner-days-as-4498-at-newcastle_remastered.jpg.5f94dc4a6902693347b80904e7176c37.jpg

Edited by K Hatton
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, K Hatton said:

It does however have a driver and fireman in the accessory bag which is a nice touch.

Thanks K. I do agree the driver and fireman is a nice touch. I look forward to detailing it all up! Along with a photo of the other 2 coronation locos I have. Just have to wait 3 weeks while I holiday in the UK. 😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone else noticed (or cared) but the 2024 update states these are due for August - hopefully this turns out to be true as that's my birthday month 🤞🏻

Also the observation car (R40227), the double open first (R40224) and the brake 3rd/kitchen 3rd (R40223) are all available to pre-order on Hornbys website but the other pair of twins (R40225/6) are nowhere to be seen (even when searching the catalogue numbers). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, K Hatton said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed (or cared) but the 2024 update states these are due for August - hopefully this turns out to be true as that's my birthday month 🤞🏻

Also the observation car (R40227), the double open first (R40224) and the brake 3rd/kitchen 3rd (R40223) are all available to pre-order on Hornbys website but the other pair of twins (R40225/6) are nowhere to be seen (even when searching the catalogue numbers). 

thanks for that . I had ordered them on release then cancelled . Now regretting it I’ve just preordered the above models . If I end up with a 5 car Coronation so be it , but will keep eye out for R40225/6 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Hatton said:

The Ellis Clark website shows the quad-art sets as Q3 2024 also. 

Could be an expensive summer - a delivery slip somewhere might be convenient!

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Legend said:

thanks for that . I had ordered them on release then cancelled . Now regretting it I’ve just preordered the above models . If I end up with a 5 car Coronation so be it , but will keep eye out for R40225/6 

Can be searched, found and pre-ordered at both Rails and Kernow, if that’s of any use?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

While looking for information concerning A4 chime whistles (specifically, 4492 Dominion of New Zealand's NZR Nathan 5 note chime), I came across a rather wonderful video on YouTube of Peter Townend talking with Roland Kennington at Southall in 2011 about the identity change of Bittern to DoNZ.

Well worth a watch if you are interested in the LNER coronation train:

and when you've seen that one, watch this one about Peter:

Edited by palmsticks
Name in full corrected
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Tiddles47 said:

Just a heads up folks, the Beavertail release date has slipped again! Website now saying autumn for this, but oddly the 4 twin sets are still stated as summer… 

This is a relief on my wallet!!! Got a very short notice week in NYC to pay for before July, so this news is actually welcoming 😅😅😅

• Like 1