Big Bertha

No Decorum

1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

So it might well be 'the hot news' that Hornby are announcing on Monday

It was farren on the Hornby forum which sent me on the hunt. I got so excited that I forgot where I originally saw it. Given that Hornby has been producing some rarities (“Turbomotive” on the other side of the Pennines from the P2s and Thompsons) it might well be the large lady.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

It was farren on the Hornby forum which sent me on the hunt. I got so excited that I forgot where I originally saw it. Given that Hornby has been producing some rarities (“Turbomotive” on the other side of the Pennines from the P2s and Thompsons) it might well be the large lady.

Given the current disappointment people are expressing with the Fell on that thread, will be interesting to see whether they choose a Hornby one over a KR one if Hornby do announce it on Monday. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'll stick with the DJH version of Big Emma as the MR railwaymen called it.

I'd love to know when Big Bertha became more popular as the nickname, but looking through old books and magazines it was definitely Emma.

Jason

Possibly once the Midland ceased to exist?

After all Big Emma = Big M R

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to KR on this announcement.

The loco has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2016 and was the most-wanted LMS loco in 2019 (the last Poll to run). It was in overall position equal 16th that year.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

One of the Liveries listed is LMS Crimson.

Did it ever carry this?

Essery & Jenkinson says at the first LMS repaint in 1926 (from Midland livery) it went into Plain Black,

So it ran on the LMS in MR Crimson livery for a while, but not with LMS insignia

Full Midland Crimson Lake livery would look really smart on such an impressive loco.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, melmerby said:

One of the Liveries listed is LMS Crimson.

Did it ever carry this?

Essery & Jenkinson says at the first LMS repaint in 1926 (from Midland livery) it went into Plain Black,

So it ran on the LMS in MR Crimson livery for a while, but not with LMS insignia

Full Midland Crimson Lake livery would look really smart on such an impressive loco.

Always black apart from photographic grey.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Can't see me being in for one, perhaps if it was another one-off banker from more northern climes....

But I clicked on the link to see prices and I'm sure it's probably just a mistake but DCC fitted cheaper than DCC ready on LMS black?

Bodes well..... 😃

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Never red even on the Midland?

Not to my knowledge.

It wasn't built until 1919 when the Midland had stopped painting anything except the passenger locomotives crimson and I think that was only the "top link" locomotives such as the 4Ps that got it post WWI.

I have a feeling people might be confusing the works grey images with crimson.

The 1926 repaint was probably its first.

This old postcard is about right for its Midland condition.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Where's our MR experts?

Jason

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

'Fowler Locos' / Haresnape / IA has the image in lined workshop grey and says it was actually delivered to traffic in plain glossy black.  Furthermore it has a photo in plain black at Derby dated 1/1/1920 ("two days after completion") of 2290 making its first trial trip.

Chris KT

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Well they appear to be saving BR Lined Green, BR Blue and Railfreight for the second run.

You've forgotten West Midland Railway White and Orange........

As used by Bromsgrove trains:

e1w0bndcijrgd6bcw6xq.jpg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4