Bachmann Winter 2022 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Duly ordered my Class 158 in Scotrail Saltaire livery, even though I have no logical reason to buy it, except I just picked up a Realtrack 156 in Scotrail Saltaire livery, and EMR hired 156503 for a few month’s, so in my little world, the 158 could be doing the same.  My railway, my rules.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

As regards the EFE ex LSWR coaches I notice from the images that in the Malachite green pack the brake 3rds are missing the all important ‘3’ from the doors. Is this just a case of an oversight on pre-production samples used to create the product image or will the coaches indeed turn up missing their ‘3’s

They're already en route on the high seas so I fear the '3's are going to be missing.   Also the coach numbers of the BR versions should have 'S' suffixes.

And, to be picky, 2955 in set 130 should be 2983, and 2679 in set 314 should be 2979.

Chris KT

• Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's if they were in LSWR livery in that condition. 

A lot of the pre grouping SR coaches were rebuilt in SR days. The Hornby ones for example were extended in length.

Jason

The EFE ones are basically as built by the LSWR except they would have had Mansell wheels in LSWR days.  Plus they ran as 4 coach sets with the addition of an 8 compartment lavy third which EFE are not doing.

Chris KT  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GeoffBird said:

Where was 7684 based at this time?  1946-48?  Cant see any matrkings on the bufferbeam.

Gateshead according to the model.

From what I recall reading, 7684 was the only one to carry this livery, from April 1948.

i’m not even sure its accurate as an LNER number, should it be 67684, or E7684 in 1948 ?

Bachmann have done it as “British railways” lettering as 67684 in the past too, but in a style mimicing the BR lined black livery, with number on the footplate rather than the tank, rather than the Black LNER lining style.

This picture caption suggests 67639 is in BR Apple green

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/LNER-and-BRE-and-BRNE/LNER-post-grouping-locomotives/LNER-tank-locomotives/i-hX3s73p/A

(I love Mike Morants pictures).

Unfortunately a few decades before my time.. though i’m sure theres still a few here who may have been around to see it.

Edited by adb968008

9 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The door droplights don't look right to me. Also, where are the dynamos and battery boxes on the brake coaches? 

When built (in 1906-10) as 4 coach sets two out of the four had battery boxes etc.  When the SR reduced them to 3-sets in the later 1930s two out of the three had b/boxes.  So it's OK for one brakes not to have them but not both.

Chris KT

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

One thing I keep waiting for in these announcements is a re run of the Polybulk wagons. IIRC there was only ever one run of these and then they disappeared into the ether.

Has the tooling gone missing / damaged ? With the new "full fat" 47375 a run of these would, I would have thought, been a a good seller.

I emailed Bachmann a few years back and was told "no plans"

Any thoughts or better knowledge? 

Thanks

Hi

I assume you mean the bogie ones? I thought that the Polybulks were in the range of wagons (JPA Cement Wagons, Car Carriers, Autoballasters etc) that were considered just too expensive to sell anymore.

However, as these seem to being brought out under the Collectors Club guise, you might see them!

Simon

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

It’s good that the Bachmann ‘Classics’ (WD and V1/3) are making a comeback, it’s a shame they aren’t new toolings, but the WD WD looks really good and I hope that the new chassis hasn’t lost the excellent performance (I don’t own a WD, but the one that I operate on a layout of a Malachite Green MPD in Wiltshire is the best steam loco I’ve ever run!)

I’m disappointed that the offering of 158s didn’t include a SWT / SWR version, but it’s still a good selection!

I like the look of the new Narrow Gauge Buildings, if the canopies come along at some point, I might be tempted to start that Modern Welsh Narrow Gauge with Mainline ETCS I’ve thought about for a while!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

J72, 94xx, 1P, Caley Goods, LNWR Precedent, H1, H2….

my guess is they are following the £, a lot of steam ends up discounted in recent years.

I admit a retool of the original Royal Scot would be nice, however that too imo seemed to hang around, and it was old. Things like a Stanier 2-6-2T, and an LYR 0-6-0 would be very interesting, its not that steam is ignored, its the LMS thats been ignored by all companies of late, ER, GW and SR have been served to excess.

I think you could add the V2 and the Modified hall to that list, although not complete retools.

The Stanier 2-6-2t and the Fowler 2-6-2t are both very worthy designs to carry through from Midland to BR. In addition though I would add Midland 2F, LNWR Coal engine, LNWR Cauliflower, LNWR Claughton, Precursor, Prince of Wales etc as well as Beames 0-8-2t and 0-8-4t, and especially the motor train fitted 1P 2-4-2t. Also the LMS "Austin seven" and the Midland "flatiron" 0-6-4t. 

There are literally dozens and dozens of non RTR steam era models which saw BR service although sometimes very briefly, and I would chuck the GWR "Aberdare" 2-6-0 into that with four lasting until 1949, although not gaining BR livery or crests.    

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I think you could add the V2 and the Modified hall to that list, although not complete retools.

The Stanier 2-6-2t and the Fowler 2-6-2t are both very worthy designs to carry through from Midland to BR. In addition though I would add Midland 2F, LNWR Coal engine, LNWR Cauliflower, LNWR Claughton, Precursor, Prince of Wales etc as well as Beames 0-8-2t and 0-8-4t, and especially the motor train fitted 1P 2-4-2t. Also the LMS "Austin seven" and the Midland "flatiron" 0-6-4t. 

There are literally dozens and dozens of non RTR steam era models which saw BR service although sometimes very briefly, and I would chuck the GWR "Aberdare" 2-6-0 into that with four lasting until 1949, although not gaining BR livery or crests.    

LNWR Claughton and LYR Dreadnought would both be nice imo.

And both made it to BR days… just, to tick that important box.

As side of Modern units, 1880-1920 I think is an era that would find a bit of interest.

If it needs testing, maybe a few Generic bogie coachesvwith different roof options maybe next covering this period ?

Edited by adb968008

7 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Volume 2 of Weddell includes a statement that, when these coaches were formed in 4-sets, only two vehicles carried dynamos "sometimes the brake thirds and sometimes the two composites", which suggests that not all sets were formed BTL+TL+CL+BTL in LSWR days at least.

There is also one photo of a BTL (in SR livery) that shows the definite absence of a dynamo, so the Trio-C system may have been perpetuated when these became 3-sets. To be absolutely certain of the exact arrangement, one would need contemporaneous pictures of both the brakes in a given set.

John

These sets were all identical and, apart from a handful which were lengthened, never changed in formation until the SR reduced them all to 3-sets from the late 1930s.  What I should have said in my previous postings was that the original formation was BTL-CL-CL-BTL where one of the CLs was a 2nd/3rd composite which was downgraded to TL when the LSWR abolished 2nd class in 1918.

Chris KT

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, nothing for me! Oh, hang on, what's this?

Edward the Blue engine looks to have an 'interesting' chassis & wheel arrangement, similar to some very early pre-group locomotives. Taff vale 'I' class, & 'C' class, specifically. Early days yet, as I haven't seen it in the flesh, but, it still enabled to grab my attention.

As Rowan & Martins laugh in... "Interesting, very interesting..."

• Funny 1

Well as someone who models late 70/early 80's there was nothing but I suppose to be fair we have just had the new plain blue 37/0 and 47/4 so I guess I carn't complain. As compensation I have just ordered a Heljen 45/1 instead.

14 hours ago, micklner said:

The LNER versions of the V1/3 body. They appear to be still the very old original moulding? Giveway appears to be the oversize handrail knobs as used on the old mouldings.

Edit . Also look at the Cab Roof area still the same faults as before , missing the overhang on the front and side edges and the original design front vac pipe attached.

"Revised" may only refer to the new chassis previously issued with the old BR version body moulding a few years ago.

I remain to be convinced that anything other than a few J72s ever had red lining on the wheels. This seems to be a recent addition on models e.g. the Sonic Models LNER black A5 appears to have its wheels lined in red as well.

Andrew

• Like 1

I'm surprised that Bachmann has never released the D11/1 in post 1928 LNER black livery lined in red. Surely this is a period lots of people model. They've done several of the D11/2 in LNER black livery but never a D11/1.

I have suggested such a model to Bachmann a couple of times. However, I expect I'll end up lining the two repainted/renamed Prince Alberts I have and also a bargain one I got which will be turned into a D10 (which also necessitates a change of tender).  But doing a good job of the red lining is not easy.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I've been working on my OCD about Coaches and as I do not knowingly remember seeing these, I won't fret about those glitches. However John, what is your excuse for having a Set 'down your way'? I'm struggling to think of an excuse for Seaton Junction, but thinking maybe late 50s and a Red Set is a possiblity on a Scouts' Special (got a puc of a T9 on one of those around that time). Waddya reckon?  

I've already decided that maybe a Dub Dee, rather than a 9F (as I have two of those for actually identified workings), on a diverted WR Goods. However there maybe a glut of older ones coming on stream now?

Phil

Morning Phil,

I ordered a set out of sheer joy at their announcement and have been busily justifying it since!

They were probably an uncommon sight on "our bit" of the WoE main line by the mid-1950s. Earlier, they would have been used on Salisbury-Exeter stoppers, until displaced by Maunsell corridors cascaded from prestige services by the availability of new-build Bulleids. 

Your "Scouts' Special" idea seems a very good rationale to me, giving a plausible reason for a set to appear on main line or branch layouts. The big vans would make them ideal for such use.

My primary "excuse" though, is that my interests have been "spreading" to earlier in the 1950s. Should I need another, in high summer some of the Maunsells will have been "reclaimed" for use in relief expresses, leading to a temporary return for older stock that was generally stored out-of-season by then. As greater numbers of BR Mk.1s became available, the Maunsells moved down the pecking order, leading to the demise of the "Cross-country" 3-sets during 1956/7. 

I also have a fairly strong side-interest in the Somerset & Dorset where these sets could be seen, though their gangwayed brethren or Ironclads would become more usual in the 1950s. I'm going for the malachite-with-BR markings version, which I think will look rather splendid behind a 2P.

If none of that suffices, I shall invoke my personal Rule 1(S). It's steam-era Southern, so I would need a good reason not to buy one. 😉 

All the best

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

These sets were all identical and, apart from a handful which were lengthened, never changed in formation until the SR reduced them all to 3-sets from the late 1930s.  What I should have said in my previous postings was that the original formation was BTL-CL-CL-BTL where one of the CLs was a 2nd/3rd composite which was downgraded to TL when the LSWR abolished 2nd class in 1918.

Chris KT

Thanks, Chris,

The abolition of the 2nd Class explains everything that was confusing me. That's rather earlier than my "span".

John

13 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

One thing I keep waiting for in these announcements is a re run of the Polybulk wagons. IIRC there was only ever one run of these and then they disappeared into the ether.

I think its fair to say that that train has truly left the platform......... Although there were 2 runs produced in quick succession, but price jumped on the second batch to around £50 I believe - Didn't take much notice - I had mine preordered upon announcement off first batch guaranteed pre-order at £168 for 4, or £21 each!  But by the time they were finally produced they were at £28-£30 mark )  There is a thread in the Bachmann area on these, which will give you a better history. But yes, they are pretty scarce! 

Bad news.... Polybulk and the likes of Autoballasters are aparantly too expensive to make as too many parts and labour intensive. (Yet Accurascale can put two large HYAs in a twin pack for £74.95 excluding any discounts). 

Slightly better news..... There has been a recent trend, in Bachmann making further runs of difficult to produce wagons, exclusively for the Collectors Club - JPA (circa £70) each and IPAs (c£140 Clean/c£150 weathered) for a two car set (while I paid Revolution 4 car early bird £110).  So you may be lucky down that route, but at a large dent in the wallet, plus you would need to be in the club. 

Best option.......Personally I would be more inclined to lobby Accurascale to do the large version.   Sure it would be pretty damn popular for them, and fall nicely in a Powering Scotland Range, for folks with a tendancy for a wee dram of the stuff, North or South of the boarder! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

It’s good that the Bachmann ‘Classics’ (WD and V1/3) are making a comeback, it’s a shame they aren’t new toolings, but the WD WD looks really good and I hope that the new chassis hasn’t lost the excellent performance (I don’t own a WD, but the one that I operate on a layout of a Malachite Green MPD in Wiltshire is the best steam loco I’ve ever run!)

I’m disappointed that the offering of 158s didn’t include a SWT / SWR version, but it’s still a good selection!

I like the look of the new Narrow Gauge Buildings, if the canopies come along at some point, I might be tempted to start that Modern Welsh Narrow Gauge with Mainline ETCS I’ve thought about for a while!

Simon

Agree on the comments that some classics are making a comeback - given the promise for these to be done. I know the bodies are not new but the chassis has had a big upgrade. Any idea if they have tender wiring and pick ups or is the speaker and chip all in the body. I suspect the latter as thats a cost saving, but would be great if not. 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Morning Phil,

I ordered a set out of sheer joy at their announcement and have been busily justifying it since!

They were probably an uncommon sight on "our bit" of the WoE main line by the mid-1950s. Earlier, they would have been used on Salisbury-Exeter stoppers, until displaced by Maunsell corridors cascaded from prestige services by the availability of new-build Bulleids. 

Your "Scouts' Special" idea seems a very good rationale to me, giving a plausible reason for a set to appear on main line or branch layouts. The big vans would make them ideal for such use.

My primary "excuse" though, is that my interests have been "spreading" to earlier in the 1950s. Should I need another, in high summer some of the Maunsells will have been "reclaimed" for use in relief expresses, leading to a temporary return for older stock that was generally stored out-of-season by then. As greater numbers of BR Mk.1s became available, the Maunsells moved down the pecking order, leading to the demise of the "Cross-country" 3-sets during 1956/7. 

I also have a fairly strong side-interest in the Somerset & Dorset where these sets could be seen, though their gangwayed brethren or Ironclads would become more usual in the 1950s. I'm going for the malachite-with-BR markings version, which I think will look rather splendid behind a 2P.

If none of that suffices, I shall invoke my personal Rule 1(S). It's steam-era Southern, so I would need a good reason not to buy one. 😉 

All the best

John

Good enough for me. I'll try to find the Scouts pic (and ignore the stock, or squint in a determined way!)

Red or Green? Ummm?

P

A brief interjection from the Chief Pedant and Geographer in Residence

Saltaire

Saltaire is a Victorian model village in Shipley, part of the City of Bradford Metropolitan District, in West Yorkshire, England.  

whereas:

Saltire

A saltire, also called Saint Andrew's Cross or the crux decussata, is a heraldic symbol in the form of a diagonal cross and the widely recognised flag of Scotland.

Now, the West Yorkshire Metro 158/9s visited Saltaire, and former Saltire-liveried 170s now work to Saltaire, so I understand there could be confusion, but...

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Agree on the comments that some classics are making a comeback - given the promise for these to be done. I know the bodies are not new but the chassis has had a big upgrade. Any idea if they have tender wiring and pick ups or is the speaker and chip all in the body. I suspect the latter as thats a cost saving, but would be great if not. 

WD has had a plug to the tender for some years.

Bachmann 32-260DC according to Model Rail database was released in 2012. Ok it wasnt sound, but it was 21 pin DCC factory fitted, with usual jst plug between loco and tender, where the DCC gubbins are.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/52575/bachmann_branchline_32_260dc_wd_austerity_2_8_0_90448_in_br_black_with_late_crest_dcc_fitted/stockdetail

Edited by adb968008

16 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

A brief interjection from the Chief Pedant and Geographer in Residence

Saltaire

Saltaire is a Victorian model village in Shipley, part of the City of Bradford Metropolitan District, in West Yorkshire, England.  

Town was named after Titus Salt who had the mill and had accommodation for his employees, hence the town was formed.