Bachmann Winter 2022 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

A brief interjection from the Chief Pedant and Geographer in Residence

Saltaire

Saltaire is a Victorian model village in Shipley, part of the City of Bradford Metropolitan District, in West Yorkshire, England.  

whereas:

Saltire

A saltire, also called Saint Andrew's Cross or the crux decussata, is a heraldic symbol in the form of a diagonal cross and the widely recognised flag of Scotland.

Now, the West Yorkshire Metro 158/9s visited Saltaire, and former Saltire-liveried 170s now work to Saltaire, so I understand there could be confusion, but...

Not to be confused with Sattire of course.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

11 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Town was named after Titus Salt who had the mill and had accommodation for his employees, hence the town was formed. 

No pubs though!

And if you were found to be a drinker then you were sacked and you family was evicted.

Place is full of them now including Don't Tell Titus!

https://www.donttelltitus.co.uk/

Jason

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

No pubs though!

And if you were found to be a drinker then you were sacked and you family was evicted.

Bournville - likewise; the Cadbury workers' idyll! 

Just a few years back, the local corner-shop owner challenged the refusal of a licence for off-sales!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

That isn't the photo I had seen, but it does prove a point for some that need an excuse!!

Phil

‘Southern Steam in the South and West’…..that man Norman Lockett is your saviour.

Page 49…..24 June 1953 . LN 30862 Weymouth-Bournemouth Central

T9  30117 Wimborne- Bournemouth West.      In each case a 3 set with added ex LSWR strengthener of other suburban ( maybe ) stock.

Unmarked pages : captioned Honiton Bank 4 October 1947 T9 117 ( pre BR ) 3 set with added Maunsell strengthener,Salisbury-Exeter local.    9June1939….U 1792 Exeter-Salisbury stopper …3 set ….also Honiton Bank.

There you go gents.  But there is surely more photographic “evidence” somewhere .

This book is a gem.

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

A brief interjection from the Chief Pedant and Geographer in Residence

Saltaire

Saltaire is a Victorian model village in Shipley, part of the City of Bradford Metropolitan District, in West Yorkshire, England.  

whereas:

Saltire

A saltire, also called Saint Andrew's Cross or the crux decussata, is a heraldic symbol in the form of a diagonal cross and the widely recognised flag of Scotland.

Now, the West Yorkshire Metro 158/9s visited Saltaire, and former Saltire-liveried 170s now work to Saltaire, so I understand there could be confusion, but...

Glad it wasn't just me that noticed! I feel better knowing that I am not alone in my pedantry.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

59 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

WD has had a plug to the tender for some years.

Bachmann 32-260DC according to Model Rail database was released in 2012. Ok it wasnt sound, but it was 21 pin DCC factory fitted, with usual jst plug between loco and tender, where the DCC gubbins are.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/52575/bachmann_branchline_32_260dc_wd_austerity_2_8_0_90448_in_br_black_with_late_crest_dcc_fitted/stockdetail

Im was checking that database as well, and really think Hattons have done a great job in having it there as a resource. 

Will be interesting to see the chip fitted and set up, but essentially these are an old model made again with the sound chips fitted. The price increase for this is significant when your getting the older model with a chip fitted. 

Interesting on price too the jump for 50-60 kwid ish for the sound fitted 158. Given that the popular liveries of Northern Blue (to match other stock already released or promised), South West Trains, TfW, have not been done it only means these will be more expensive next time... perhaps by same again. £450 for a sound 158? 

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

‘Southern Steam in the South and West’…..that man Norman Lockett is your saviour.

T9  30117 Wimborne- Bournemouth West.      In each case a 3 set with added ex LSWR strengthener of other suburban ( maybe ) stock.

Unmarked pages : captioned Honiton Bank 4 October 1947 T9 117 ( pre BR ) 3 set with added Maunsell strengthener,Salisbury-Exeter local.    9June1939….U 1792 Exeter-Salisbury stopper …3 set ….also Honiton Bank.

There you go gents.  But there is surely more photographic “evidence” somewhere .

This book is a gem.

There are several photos of 3-LAV sets (as they are sometimes called in Carriage Working Notices) on the WoE main line in 'Main Line to the West, Part 3, Yeovil to Exeter'.  The latest I can find is 34023 plus a 3-set & utility van on Honiton incline dated 3 August 1955.

Chris KT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

lobby Accurascale to do the large version.   Sure it would be pretty damn popular for them, and fall nicely in a Powering Scotland Range, for folks with a tendancy for a wee dram of the stuff,

They're busy Lubricating Ireland. Please return to the subject matter.

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

This book is a gem.

1 hour ago, chris45lsw said:

There are several photos of 3-LAV sets (as they are sometimes called in Carriage Working Notices) on the WoE main line in 'Main Line to the West, Part 3, Yeovil to Exeter'.  The latest I can find is 34023 plus a 3-set & utility van on Honiton incline dated 3 August 1955.

Chris KT

(and @Mallard60022) There are also quite a few photos in the Mitchell & Smith Bournemouth to Weymouth volume, if memory serves.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

... the coach numbers of the BR versions should have 'S' suffixes.

Not in the very early days of BR (crimson livery); suffixes came in with Mk.1 coaches, in order to avoid number duplication.

CJI.

• Informative/Useful 1

23 hours ago, trevor7598 said:

Looking at the models and 1520 on the Bluebell more closely it would seem that the quarter lights

and the droplights are not tall enough on the models, and the vent bonnet on the door is too deep.

As for the lack of dynamo and battery boxes on the brake coaches, this could be correct, and the

centre composite supplied power for lighting in the brake' coaches. The SECR had a similar system 

om their trio sets..

P1370075.JPG

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Not in the very early days of BR (crimson livery); suffixes came in with Mk.1 coaches, in order to avoid number duplication.

CJI.

Neither would those retaining SR malachite have received the suffix when initially rebranded with BR markings.

John

11 minutes ago, chris45lsw said:

I've gone from ecstasy on hearing about the release of these coaches to depression on seeing what a dog's dinner has been made of them.  So sad.  Wherever the measuring went wrong the end result is that the panel below the cantrail and above the windows is far too  wide.  It should be narrower than the waist panel below the windows when, on the model, it's actually much wider.  It also means the ventilator bonnets above the doors are too deep as well.  Very disappointing.

Chris KT   

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

This book is a gem.

I've been trying to find out their use in the West of England in BR days - was it mainly on stoppers on the main line? Where else?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

J72, 94xx, 1P, Caley Goods, LNWR Precedent, H1, H2…

Of those, the only one announced since 2020 (when Bachmann changed policy) is the Precedent — and like the Caley Goods and the forthcoming G5) it is a commission. So not Bachmann's choice, as it were. The only completely new item in Bachmann Branchline standard gauge announced since then and introduced is the Dance Hall Brake Van. Everything else was a newly-tooled version of a diesel that was already in the range — 20/24/37/47.

If you're waiting for a steam loco that hasn't been done yet, a Rails of Sheffield Exclusive or Dapol (especially if it's GWR) or Rapido Trains are the best bet, possibly Hornby if it's either big and glamorous or a small industrial. Bachmann appear to have largely given up on steam.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I've been trying to find out their use in the West of England in BR days - was it mainly on stoppers on the main line? Where else?

More likely on weird X Country services  in the middle of nowhere I'm afraid! However, I am sure they ventured down the Seaton Branch on my layout when I wasn't looking.

P

1 hour ago, Calidore said:

(and @Mallard60022) There are also quite a few photos in the Mitchell & Smith Bournemouth to Weymouth volume, if memory serves.

Thanks but its' late 50s Seaton Junction and area I'm trying to work them into.

P

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Has it got a fire iron rack yet?

My old WD has a very nice etched brass rack from 247 Developments. Probably better than anything that could be done In plastic.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

More likely on weird X Country services  in the middle of nowhere I'm afraid! However, I am sure they ventured down the Seaton Branch on my layout when I wasn't looking.

P

Thanks but its' late 50s Seaton Junction and area I'm trying to work them into.

P

Possibly on engineers trains,otherwise IMHO Rule 1 applies. I would think that by the late 50’s the birds have flown.

Stopping trains were Maunsell or Bulleid by then.Oh dear…

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Possibly on engineers trains,otherwise IMHO Rule 1 applies. I would think that by the late 50’s the birds have flown.

Stopping trains were Maunsell or Bulleid by then.Oh dear…

TTBOMK the last of the 3-LAV sets were withdrawn by the end of 1957. 

Latest photo cited (so far) of one on a WoE line stopper is August 1955. 

My impression is that, for their last few years, they would have been brought out in high season to release corridor stock for use in peak holiday reliefs, and spent the winters stored.

John

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

BR Gill Sans numbering was applied from around April (?) 1949 either on the existing malachite or on a new coat of crimson.  Yes there was no suffix but the number was at the left hand end of the coach (as in Bachmann's new crimson and cream Bulleid set 847).  From early 1951 numbers were relocated to the right hand end of coaches and, a little later, I believe, suffixes were adopted.  So there was only a small window when a right hand number without a suffix was likely to be applied.  I've looked through my photos of LSWR coaches and have only found one such - S625, a TL - with right hand number but no suffix.  I've not found such a photo of a 3-LAV set.  Incidentally there is a well known photo of EFE's set 130 in crimson taken in 1953 which has suffixes.

Chris KT 

• Informative/Useful 1

Sea Urchins. The finish is familiar - DB Schenker in 2015 460006  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/spaconvertdept/e536be439  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/spaconvertdept/e536be9c5 

460915 EWS in 1998 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/spaconvertdept/e20813f39 

460887 looks very similar to 460877 in 2018 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/spaconvertdept/eadb8fcd8 

I'm cannot remember Bachmann having asked for any of these photos, so may be from others. 

Paul

19 hours ago, chris45lsw said:

In LSWR days they were 4 coach sets so you would really need an 8 compartment lavy third as well.

Chris KT

It is possible to repaint the set if you can manage without the fourth coach. I used to enjoy repainting the Tri-ang Hornby Mk1s when they cost about £1.50 each but you need more courage when coaches are about £75 each. I think that the body can be removed from the chassis quite easily and if you can remove the glazing it should be easy to repaint them in LSWR livery using Precision paints. Then you would need some transfers and it could ruin the second hand value. I expect as soon as you have finished EFE will bring out a four coach set in LSWR livery.

• Like 3