NER 20t Hoppers, By Accurascale

2 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Cable  Chemical and Insulating from recent photos that have appeared it was the land that time forgot!

I used to play football on the sports ground opposite, Saturday afternoons and Sunday mornings. Only once went across to have a poke around.

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW029512

Showing in the right upper, a place were hundreds, if not thousands of ex. works railway wagon photographs were taken, with a good few of the photos appearing in the various works of P Tatlow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, SHerr said:

Great addition, however as mentioned earlier you have accidentally forgotten the Alumina conversions that ran up the WHL until mid late 60's!

certainly not accidentally :) 

Unfortunately, the modifications were extensive and it wouldn't prove economical for us to include those variants in this tooling suite. A shame really, but there's niche, and then there's the Burntisland traffic!

Edited by McC
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Today we're announcing the family of NER 4 wheeled hoppers

Ooooh! I've just wet mesell.

Does this mean I'll able to stop applying over 360 coach bolt heads to the inside of my hoppers?

Slaters20tHopper-08-EditSm.jpg.71e6e7a31587f875bf9710f2aedbd549.jpg

So with all these dumb buffer extensions hanging around and a "small" announcement due at Warley?

Will we be seeing the Lewin?

or possibly this little beauty??

BowesRlyJul1167-EditSm.jpg.9e22379c4968e25933c4d717e57ed840.jpg

or might this lowered buffer beam hulk appear from the mists of the NEC ???

282216821_NYMRStmG27-4-14--13PwD2022-EditSm.jpg.552f72cedd69d1fe2543171fe15a36db.jpg

Maybe I'm just frothing more than the first pull of a pint of Dublin porter????

P

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

All depends on the degree of  bending as my ideas aren't all that firm as yet but if anything it would be more likely to be Camperdowm Yard rather than Trafalgar Yard or some such revision.

They would of been shunted through the yard, even if they didn't go down the tunnel. The Britain from the air photos show them in use by Newcastle Corporation's power supplier. 

Paul 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Islesy said:

I looked at the Alumina conversions @26power as an option, and I'd dearly have liked to include them, but given their limited number, limited operational area, and the extent to which it would have meant increasing the tooling to accommodate them, it became increasingly unviable unfortunately. A shame, as they are quite funky wagons....

Thanks for the comments and explanation.  I did say that they are pretty niche!

• Like 2

Got to say it is onw wagon that I have had a like for, for a long time. Well done to Accurascale taking this from the others. Seeing the length of life, variations, number of liveries, it should do very well.  I know I will be purchasing a largish number.... I alreay have the compeitiors Steel 20ton which I will need to mix into this versions.  

Can I make one request though. that is to do mixed packs Ie 1 loco coal, 2 (L)NER livery.... As it will make it easlier for people to ring the changes... 

Thanks for also stating that it may be possible to convert them to P4 gauge... I have about 10 of these in kit form that need to be finished off.... I wonder will the kits be finished before the Accurascales hit the shelves? 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

image.png.0d3200d4d2505ec4c4e1adb26009bb48.png

In this picture from page 1 of the thread, aren't those the smaller 17 ton version (can't remember the diagram) rather than P7s?

They're LNER D193 13t hoppers, the 4th back is a D72 square bodied 12t hopper, there's a couple more of these in the siding on the right.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

5 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

They're LNER D193 13t hoppers

Equally they could be BR built Dia. 1/140's.  😜

Walker wagon works were rebuilding/refurbishing 20 ton wooden hoppers right up to 1960 when BR banned the wooden underframe hoppers, with exceptions, so it was quite feasible to see what looked like new hoppers on the mainline till then. Private users got themselves a bargain with those late rebuilds.

P Hays photo from 1956 shows this quite well.

Newsham1956-20tHoppersE.jpg.49f9aabf4ae556ad79fc99303aa12c44.jpg

• Like 7

I am delighted to see these wagons, which I remember as a boy when my grandfather was a coal miner in Northumberland.  I don't know anything about their details and variants though, and I must admit to being a little confused as to the variants being produced.

Acccording to the email:

This family is made up of the P6, P7, P8 and Q3 variants of these distinctive 20 ton hopper wagons. Four different types, with differences within the range, based on period! 

Listed on the site as available to order, 8 products in various liveries, but 5 types P6/7/8 Q3, & DGM

According to the video however, nine EPs. which is what I can count lined up on Rowley platform.

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/accurascale-hop-to-it-with-ner-20t-coal-wagons-in-oo-4mm

So have you discovered/decided to produce another sub type?  Or is DGM another name for one of the types? 

Is this the missing ninth EP, its axleboxes/suspensions look very different, which I don't see as available to order, and is there a problem preventing it coming with the rest of the range?  Or perhaps a business decision to make that part of a second batch ? Sorry for even suggesting a rerun when you've only just announced the first lot, but it's obvious there's scope for this range to run and run like Hattons  4- and 6-wheel coaches!!

On 17/11/2022 at 12:07, Accurascale Fran said:

140531688_NERWeb4.jpg.71a5e349b97952a7ff5753dc01ec8e99.jpg

I will definitely be ordering some of these, but haven't had time to decide which.  They will look good behind any reasoanbly heavy industrial loco,

But ideally I think I also want a Lambton Hetton & Joicey 0-6-2T if you're looking for ideas for your next project and there's one in preservation you could go and scan ....  https://www.nymr.co.uk/lhjc-0-6-2t-no-29-peggy

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

We have some more versions and one exclusive to announce in the first batch, and then a second batch which will follow on a few months behind, which will be announced in time ;) 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

38 minutes ago, Alcanman said:

Great announcement.

Just wondering if the first 2 wagons behind J27 65828 are NER 20t coal hoppers. Photo is at Ashington Colliery in 1954.

Yes and the third looks like a diag 137 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnermineral/e9d973fa   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnermineral/e1f401a2e

Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/11/2022 at 16:38, Islesy said:

E156963 in that pack is taken from a picture showing it in LNER dark grey, with the N.E legend, but with the BR number applied. The other two wagons in that pack, E162443 and E162817, are shown in photographs in the BR light Freight Grey. As you'll be aware, this was a time of transition, with some older liveries extending well into BR use, while other items were rapidly repainted. In fact, to begin with, when BR replaced panels, or rebodied, the wood was originally left in an unfinished condition and allowed to weather in.

Didn't these have a wood frame with flitch plate solebar? BR does appear to have painted them grey with black ground for the writing, but why? Until late 1959 the instructions was to not paint the woodwork of wood framed open wagons. This clearly was not the case, repainting appears to have started quite early. 

Paul

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

probably one of those converted for Sand traffic. 

The NCB in the N.E. bought loads of ex LMS coke hoppers and chopped of the raves. Pegswood and Ashington had them. The colliery I worked at in Durham had a full fleet. Painted Ice blue they were meant to be used for stone disposal but saw plenty of general use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I don't think Slaters will be sleeping too unsoundly. At £9.70 plus say £4.50 for wheels and couplings, one can have half-a-dozen of their P7s for the price of a three-pack from Accurascale, or ten-and-three-quarters for the price of two Accurascale kits, and have the fun of building them too! (Moreover they will still be available after the Accurascale ones have sold out.) Of course one may also need to buy in some aftermarket etches for different brake arrangements, and there's the anti-friction rollers, and the P6s. So I guess if you're seriously into the North Eastern, you'll mix and match.

I'm interested that this is part of a theme, "Powering Britain", so I wonder if we'll next see a wagon that is useful up and down the country - maybe an RCH 1907 specification wagon would be the most popular choice, but given the preference for the more unusual, perhaps some pre-1887 dumb buffer mineral wagons. The challenge there would be that there were hardly two the same!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I don't think Slaters will be sleeping too unsoundly. At £9.70 plus say £4.50 for wheels and couplings, one can have half-a-dozen of their P7s for the price of a three-pack from Accurascale, or ten-and-three-quarters for the price of two Accurascale kits, and have the fun of building them too! (Moreover they will still be available after the Accurascale ones have sold out.) Of course one may also need to buy in some aftermarket etches for different brake arrangements, and there's the anti-friction rollers, and the P6s. So I guess if you're seriously into the North Eastern, you'll mix and match.

Hi @Compound2632,

Don’t forget paints, glue and time to assemble of course. While some enjoy building kits (and I do enjoy a nice parkside kit of occasion myself) RTR models tend to outsell kits as most value time and convenience of having them finished to the highest standards of assembly, detail and finish that RTR gives you. This finish and assembly costs time and money naturally, but the hobby offers solutions and options for us all which makes it so great.

We also offer a wider range than just P7, so there is the ability to mix and match between kit and RTR in ones rake. Who knows what we have planned for our “Powering Britain” range next, but suffice to say there has been large public demand for some suitable candidates, despite their established availability in kit form. Like our HUO hoppers, these will not be one hit wonders too, so recurring availability will be in line with demand.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I am delighted to see these wagons, which I remember as a boy when my grandfather was a coal miner in Northumberland.  I don't know anything about their details and variants though, and I must admit to being a little confused as to the variants being produced.

Acccording to the email:

This family is made up of the P6, P7, P8 and Q3 variants of these distinctive 20 ton hopper wagons. Four different types, with differences within the range, based on period! 

Listed on the site as available to order, 8 products in various liveries, but 5 types P6/7/8 Q3, & DGM

According to the video however, nine EPs. which is what I can count lined up on Rowley platform.

https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/accurascale-hop-to-it-with-ner-20t-coal-wagons-in-oo-4mm

So have you discovered/decided to produce another sub type?  Or is DGM another name for one of the types? 

Is this the missing ninth EP, its axleboxes/suspensions look very different, which I don't see as available to order, and is there a problem preventing it coming with the rest of the range?  Or perhaps a business decision to make that part of a second batch ? Sorry for even suggesting a rerun when you've only just announced the first lot, but it's obvious there's scope for this range to run and run like Hattons  4- and 6-wheel coaches!!

I will definitely be ordering some of these, but haven't had time to decide which.  They will look good behind any reasoanbly heavy industrial loco,

But ideally I think I also want a Lambton Hetton & Joicey 0-6-2T if you're looking for ideas for your next project and there's one in preservation you could go and scan ....  https://www.nymr.co.uk/lhjc-0-6-2t-no-29-peggy

I think railway mania are planning a Kit of the 0-6-2s using the chassis off the Bachmann midland 1F

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micklner said:

20 and 42 tonners here after some fell off the Staiths !! Nice selection for some more model variations please !!

http://freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=6639&forum_id=43&page=1

The photos  have been on RM Web before

373379508_NERStaithsaccident1.jpg.580e09e16de3e1866379b4c6caa629c4.jpg

1176085304_NERstaiths2.jpg.f99c0cf0e1ad52f96f64b6987440bcc7.jpg

That shows how tough they were, despite having a 13 tonner landing on top of it. It looks like that poor little P17 has taken the brunt of the rough shunt though. 

• Like 1