Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Rapido OO Gauge GWR B Set coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

So long as 6453 + 6454 happens I am very happy!

Though I still cant decide whether to go for 6895 + 6894 and renumber or to go for the Derails roundel version and change the logos to do Kingsbridge No1.  Either way you can guaranty that after receiving the model and renumbering I will find a photo confirming ive done it wrong!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi @Corbs,

In the 1947 livery please check the relative sizes of the "Great Western" and the signage along the waistline. In the photos I've looked at of that livery (admittedly not of E140s) the lettering of both is the same height.

BTW: @Dunsignalling I just found this in Harris' "Great Western Coaches from 1890" p.37:

With the appearance of the Hawksworth stock came the return of the two-colour livery. A new letter face was introduced, the Great Western's own version of Gill Sans. The GWR never could use other people's ideas without modifying them first!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi @Corbs,

In the 1947 livery please check the relative sizes of the "Great Western" and the signage along the waistline. In the photos I've looked at of that livery (admittedly not of E140s) the lettering of both is the same height.

BTW: @Dunsignalling I just found this in Harris' "Great Western Coaches from 1890" p.37:

You are right, Phil + that shows me that I need to move the waistline lettering/numbers down a tad too, which I shall amend.

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/12/2022 at 02:07, St Enodoc said:

No, it doesn't look right does it! I'll double check next time I can get the book out. Thanks.

It may be your page references but the drawing on page 152 appears to be of the shorter E147, not the E145?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

It may be your page references but the drawing on page 152 appears to be of the shorter E147, not the E145?

You are right. Thanks.

Let's try page 154, a Centenary 60' E149 with bogie centres at 44'6" and inner wheelbase 35'6".

Sorry about that!

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Ask and ye shall receive*

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/gwr-b-set-coaches/

New sets are on the shop!

*Sometimes, if it aligns with what we wanted to do ;) 

I am seeing something a bit odd with that, no additional releases showing and it still shows SKU 002 with the white roof as post war livery.   Not sure if my laptop is just opening an old version of the page maybe 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I am seeing something a bit odd with that, no additional releases showing and it still shows SKU 002 with the white roof as post war livery.   Not sure if my laptop is just opening an old version of the page maybe 

Mine did that, had to hard refresh (shift + refresh) to get it to update.

• RMweb Premium

Well I've bitten the bullet, closed my eyes and ordered two sets. They will be perfect and look fab on Cheddar. I may change one to an E145 when I get them.

Just got to do the E116, E129 and E147 B sets now.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Mine did that, had to hard refresh (shift + refresh) to get it to update.

I've hard refreshed (multiple times) and it's still showing the original set to me. I.e. post-war/interwar confusion and no new variants...

8 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I've hard refreshed (multiple times) and it's still showing the original set to me. I.e. post-war/interwar confusion and no new variants...

Try again. I have just done another clear down of the site cache which may help some people. I can confirm they are all live!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I can see 
- Shirtbutton
- Inter-war
- 2x BR Crimson
- 2x BR Maroon
- 2x Wartime Brown
- Post-war Lined
- BR(W)

• Like 1

The cantrail area doesn't look quite right to me on the pre-Hawksworth liveries. Shouldn't the thin black line under the cantrail be spaced off the cantrail underside, i.e.:

e140-cantrail-stripe.png.831db0dc0654c98a2eba2103389e067d.png

P.S. 'Inter-war' livery should perhaps be described more accurately as '1930 - 1934 livery'.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The cantrail area doesn't look quite right to me on the pre-Hawksworth liveries. Shouldn't the thin black line under the cantrail be spaced off the cantrail underside, i.e.:

e140-cantrail-stripe.png.831db0dc0654c98a2eba2103389e067d.png

P.S. 'Inter-war' livery should perhaps be described more accurately as '1930 - 1934 livery'.

Good question, that's not something I've seen and I don't think 'Great Western Way' makes a note of a gap. Hard to tell in a lot of black and white photos but the post-war livery can look like there is a gap when it's the gold line above the black one.

The Kingsbridge Branch set referenced in the MRC article looks to have the black band touching the brown.

I'll ask the site admin if we can add the dates to the description.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 13.25.21.png

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 13.25.33.png

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good pics. I think I withdraw my question. The black line does seem to butt up against the underside of the cantrail. Maybe it was the thickness of the black line in your artwork that jarred for me. And maybe the drawings in Harris are misleading. (GWW seems ok though.)

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Good question, that's not something I've seen and I don't think 'Great Western Way' makes a note of a gap. Hard to tell in a lot of black and white photos but the post-war livery can look like there is a gap when it's the gold line above the black one.

The Kingsbridge Branch set referenced in the MRC article looks to have the black band touching the brown.

I'll ask the site admin if we can add the dates to the description.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 13.25.21.png

Is there a date on this photo?  Am I reading it right that is Kingsbridge No 1?  

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Is there a date on this photo?  Am I reading it right that is Kingsbridge No 1?  

I think so. The article is dated as April 1946 and the other set pictured is No.2 (the Wartime Brown set). The choc/cream one is double-lined with coat of arms and G W R, numbered 6335 + 6316.

GWR.org.uk says this set was "Kingsbridge Branch No.1 until 27 August 1936, when it became Bristol Division No.25". So presumably these photos are pre-war.

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 14.40.58.png

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 14.41.10.png

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 14.41.22.png

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 14.41.38.png

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Corbs said:

I think so. The article is dated as April 1946 and the other set pictured is No.2 (the Wartime Brown set). The choc/cream one is double-lined with coat of arms and G W R, numbered 6335 + 6316.

GWR.org.uk says this set was "Kingsbridge Branch No.1 until 27 August 1936, when it became Bristol Division No.25". So presumably these photos are pre-war.

Thanks for that, a shame it is the previous E145 rather than the later version, thought for a second that I was finally able to verify the livery of my second set!  

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BenL said:

Great to see the additional livery versions @Corbs. Is there any possibility of a postwar GWR version without any branch allocation branding?

45 minutes ago, BenL said:

Lovely shots @Corbs. Would you also be able to share the shots from the article of the wartime brown set? Many thanks in advance if you can.

Have sent over the article. Ref. further versions - may have to be a 'possibly in the future' thing depending on how well the first batch sell as I think we are maxing them out now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2022 at 22:14, Corbs said:

Well that is very interesting. Certainly looks like it was taken with the same camera settings, likely same day. No smokebox numberplate on No.1852, just bufferbeam numbers.

I bought the picture and adjusted levels, you can make out SOUTHERN and the number on the tender, there does not look to be a painted cabside number. I think you might be able to make out a hint of lining which if true would suggest green livery.

https://sremg.org.uk/ states all N class locos were painted black by the end of the war, I presume with cabside numbers and just SOUTHERN on the tender (lower down). No exact date given for No.1852.

So maybe this points towards the date being pre-war or wartime?

Got to love a good bit of group sleuthing!

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 22.08.05.png

Hi Corbs,

Just for the record 1852 was allocated to Exmouth Junction from introduction in March 1925 until 24th April 1943 when she headed to east to Bricklayers Arms.  She does look to still be in Maunsell green (the buffer numbers also appear to be in the correct serif style) she gained SR Black livery in May 1941. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

48 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Have sent over the article. Ref. further versions - may have to be a 'possibly in the future' thing depending on how well the first batch sell as I think we are maxing them out now.

Many thanks on both counts, I’ll order the Kingham set and rebrand it, along with one of the wartime brown sets which I’m delighted to see - a first for that livery in OO gauge RTR as far as I’m aware 👍

• Agree 1