Rapido OO Gauge GWR B Set coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Corbs said:

Good question, that's not something I've seen and I don't think 'Great Western Way' makes a note of a gap.

Hi Corbs, the coaches look good. Can I ask what version of Great Western Way you are using, i.e. the updated John Lewis one or the original one?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Thanks for that, a shame it is the previous E145 rather than the later version, thought for a second that I was finally able to verify the livery of my second set!  

With a Bristol Division No. 25 branding.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Corbs, the coaches look good. Can I ask what version of Great Western Way you are using, i.e. the updated John Lewis one or the original one?

Thanks Mikkel, the 1978 edition is the physical copy I have here.

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Looking at the available liveries - is there one missing for the period 1930-1934 i.e. before Shirtbutton and probably like the Kingsbridge No1 set shown above?

That be this one although the SKUs make them appear out of order, this one is chronologically before shirtbutton.
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/dia-e140-b-set-gwr-post-war-livery/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Corbs said:

That be this one although the SKUs make them appear out of order, this one is chronologically before shirtbutton.
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/dia-e140-b-set-gwr-post-war-livery/

And it did say 'Post' war livery rather than inter war.

However, I know my target item now, thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just spotted something: The post war GWR livery should have a grey roof, shouldn't it? Sorry, ignore that. I was looking at the wrong set. The roof is grey in the post-war lined livery. 👏

(Another difference between pre and post-war liveries that might be worth research is that Russell reckons the shades of chocolate and cream changed. That would need to be verified from other sources.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

(Another difference between pre and post-war liveries that might be worth research is that Russell reckons the shades of chocolate and cream changed. That would need to be verified from other sources.)

I'll bet that's down to varnish.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

First I've heard about this.  Would love to learn more if anyone has the answers.  It might explain the disparity between model paint colours and manufacturers' finishes.

• RMweb Gold

Lovely pic Miss P.  And for a similar view but with a brown & cream B set in the bay, behind a 4575 tank, there's a nice 1938 shot from the same vantage point in Yarwood's "Window on the Great Western", p58, including a castle-hauled express steaming through on the up main.  Cliche or no it's Just the sort of scene that cries out to be modelled. (Though I think I'd give those funny centre-balance type signals a swerve.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

First I've heard about this.  Would love to learn more if anyone has the answers.  It might explain the disparity between model paint colours and manufacturers' finishes.

In Russell "Great Western Coaches Appendix Vol 1", p159, referring to fig. 409:

This 1947 picture of No. 7318 shows the GWR's last style of coat of arms, etc. Painting was chocolate and cream (although it would be more realistic to describe this as milk chocolate and daffodil yellow!)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

In Russell "Great Western Coaches Appendix Vol 1", p159, referring to fig. 409:

I’ve always taken that to be Russell’s general reflection of what he thought GWR ‘chocolate and cream’ might be more accurately described as, rather than indicating a change in the colours after the war, but maybe I’m missing something? 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, BenL said:

I’ve always taken that to be Russell’s general reflection of what he thought GWR ‘chocolate and cream’ might be more accurately described as, rather than indicating a change in the colours after the war, but maybe I’m missing something? 

This is the only place I've ever seen him refer to the colours in this way and so I took it to mean that he was seeing something different.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, BenL said:

I’ve always taken that to be Russell’s general reflection of what he thought GWR ‘chocolate and cream’ might be more accurately described as, rather than indicating a change in the colours after the war,

That's always been my understanding too.  It's made me pull "The Big Four in Colour" from the shelf, but of course the vagaries of early colour photo printing mean that it doesn't really throw much light on the matter.

Incidentally, didn't I read somewhere that the GWR always referred to it as "brown" rather than "chocolate" (whether milk or plain)?

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Incidentally, didn't I read somewhere that the GWR always referred to it as "brown" rather than "chocolate" (whether milk or plain)?

I get the impression from GWW that the officially preferred term is Windsor Brown, which commonly gets shortened to 'brown'. I should perhaps stop using 'chocolate' on gwr.org., but it does tend to be used synonomously with 'brown'.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

image.png.602b31b247c6769d08c62ff0fb8941f8.png

Shouldn't the shirt button livery have a lead white roof*? The grey painted roofs didn't come in until during WWII, at which stage I would expect they were also painting the things in "wartime brown".

*yes, yes, I know that 30 seconds after leaving the paint shop all white roofs instantly turned black due to sulphur and soot in the air, but we're talking about ex-works liveries here.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, 57xx said:

*yes, yes, I know that 30 seconds after leaving the paint shop all white roofs instantly turned black due to sulphur and soot in the air, but we're talking about ex-works liveries here.

On that definition, it would need to be 'in the paint shop' condition, as it takes more than 30 seconds to wheel a coach around a works and by the end of that move the general smog in the air would have laid a nice whaft of soot onto the roof ready for it's re-entry into traffic.  😀

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Mikkel said:

19 hours ago, Corbs said:

Ok, thanks. I don't have the newer one but I understand that it has some additional/revised notes by John on the liveries (perhaps also on the red wagon livery by the way, hehe 😉).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

image.png.602b31b247c6769d08c62ff0fb8941f8.png

Shouldn't the shirt button livery have a lead white roof*? The grey painted roofs didn't come in until during WWII, at which stage I would expect they were also painting the things in "wartime brown".

I think you are right there, it should have a white roof (GWW agrees with you). Thankfully it's not on the item description so it should be easy to change before production.

To give some background, only the side artworks have been done for now (for the launch) - the full technical ones which show every view are in progress.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Corbs said:

I think you are right there, it should have a white roof (GWW agrees with you). Thankfully it's not on the item description so it should be easy to change before production.

To give some background, only the side artworks have been done for now (for the launch) - the full technical ones which show every view are in progress.

White roofs for the Shirtbutton stock would be most welcome, as it would leave it up to the individual how pristine/grotty they would like their stock to be.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, David Stannard said:

White roofs for the Shirtbutton stock would be most welcome, as it would leave it up to the individual how pristine/grotty they would like their stock to be.

I wonder if it would be possible to devise a paint that slowly darkens over time but could be returned to white by, say, exposure to UV?

• Funny 2