Rapido OO Gauge GWR B Set coaches

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Dana Ashdown said:

Aren't these the same diagram as the detailed Collett pair Hornby released several years ago?

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Yes, but accurate.

The Hornby B-set is the 1970s Airfix one with a better paint job, but none of the dimensional issues addressed. Fortunately, I hadn't started attacking mine so will be able to flog them on as m/b.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Dana Ashdown said:

Aren't these the same diagram as the detailed Collett pair Hornby released several years ago?

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Yes but thankfully without all the errors and shortcomings of Hornby's which were originally Airfix.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Not much use at Cwmdimbath at first sight, but the accurate 60’ underframe is, and I foresee cut’n’shuts.  A sensible choice all the same, the most numerous B set diagram, widely spread, and lasted until the very early 60s.  The old Airfix was cutting edge but we’ve progressed over 45 years.  Well done Rapido!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/11/2022 at 14:37, Hilux5972 said:

I am currently building a 1/200 model of the Titanic. I am going to a fair bit of effort with internal detailing with furniture and people etc. This will likely never be seen again once the model is finished but I know it’s there. That’s the point with detailing like this. 

Especially not after it's hit the model iceberg and sunk to the bottom of your local boating lake.

What is it with these GWR enthusiasts?

Along comes a B-set to modern RTR model standards and it's slammed for either being better the ancient inaccurate Airfix model or for failing to represent a less common type of carriage.

I was so overcome by the LMS D1666 open wagon on the Rapido display at the Warley show today that I failed to notice this announcement there until its designer mentioned it in passing. All credit to that person.

Edited by Compound2632
typo.
  • Like 6
  • Funny 2

Excellent news. 

I  was, however, confused by this: 

Nos. 6457/6459, GWR post-war livery

image.png.ecf7854a064f72ddaf9c0f353762dd19.png

Not my period, but for post-war I would have expected dark rooves, and "GREAT WESTERN" instead of the initials, and probably a more gill sans-like font for the lettering.

Not generally one to stick his head above the parapet on anything post-1914, but this looks like the classic 1927-34 era livery to me, if the waist is doubled lined, as appears to be the case, then 1930-1934, which would seem to fit with the build year. 

I haven't modelled the 1930s since the 1980s, so research has perhaps improved and my memory may be off here. 

Anyway, great choice of subject.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Especially not after it's hit the model iceberg and sunk to the bottom of your local boating lake.

Along comes a B-set to modern RTR model standards and it's slammed for either being better the ancient inaccurate Airfix model or for failing to represent a less common type of carriage.

I was some overcome by the LMS D1666 open wagon on the Rapido display at the Warley show today that I failed to notice this announcement there until its designer mentioned it in passing. All credit to that person.

Because we already have detailed ones. Got one ready for glazing, chassis is being worked on.

I need at most 2 b sets.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

But who is "we" in that sentence?

People who needed a b set in the past.

I have seen rapido models they are good, i want a couple of the buses, but i already have older versions of some of their new models i have 2 45xx, the ones i have are acceptable .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MJI said:

People who needed a b set in the past.

I have seen rapido models they are good, i want a couple of the buses, but i already have older versions of some of their new models i have 2 45xx, the ones i have are acceptable .

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but the target customers for these models are those who fancy a B set in the near future.

I'm in that sort of position - I have a B Set, in fact I had two one cost ten quid and the other 30 quid, also have a Bachmann 45xx.

On the one hand there is nothing wrong with either for the price, but on the other hand I wouldn't mind a 44xx and would it really look as good next to a Hornby version of the Dapol B Set that Palitoy bought when it acquired Airfix.

I have time to contemplate this I think...

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

44xx is interesting.

But if they want to do something of the same era, the Collett Autocoaches could do with a model which represents one of the 3 diagrammes rather than a merge of all 3

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news!  (But how did I spend two days wandering around the Warley show without noticing this until I got home?!)

It will be interesting to see what sort of coupling arrangement Rapido comes up with for the inner ends.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I've noticed this kind of reaction before.

Some of them seem determined to find reasons not to buy things.

As one of my grandfathers used to say, "I wouldn't give a bu##er to be right"...😀

John

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, checkrail said:

It will be interesting to see what sort of coupling arrangement Rapido comes up with for the inner ends.

Already been discussed with @Skinnylinnyof this parish who I'm sure will enlighten us after recovery from the show.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, tommyliam021 said:

Are the coaches on the website without the working areas listed going to have blank ends?

Just checking my notes, I believe only the Bodmin Branch No.2 (GWR shirtbutton) and the Bristol Division No.49 (BR crimson) sets will have end lettering, the others should be plain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I'm in that sort of position - I have a B Set, in fact I had two one cost ten quid and the other 30 quid, also have a Bachmann 45xx.

Me too - I bought my two lined maroon coaches from the Dapol stand at the Bristol show around 15 or so years ago for £18 the pair. Perfect for my recently-acquired Bachmann lined green 4566. The SWB bogies didn't really float my boat so, based on info contained in an article by John Lewis (no, I'm sure it wasn't that John Lewis) entitled 'B Sets in Cornwall' in this magazine (heavens above, have I really had this 30 years?!):837875333_WP_20221127_14_59_23_Pro(2)4500.jpg.3882e054493d64e2814d61850082647b.jpg

.....I popped round to the Replica Railways shop (10 minutes' drive away back then) where I knew there was a box full of Collett bogie frames looking for a home and did this:

974961771_WP_20221127_17_35_35_Pro(2)4498.jpg.c36bbafec5ade6d6839ddff6989fe939.jpg

Diagram E140 to E145. The bogie pivots had to be moved inwards a bit, but photos show these 9' bogies were very close to the ends of the vehicle. The buffers were shortened (Hornby heads I think) and Peco 'Anita' couplings used for closer coupling (yep, could have been closer still.....)  According to the article W6168W and W6175W were 'Truro No 3' (later No 4) and the only E145 set Truro had at the time, which was early 1950s. No idea whether they were still there a decade later or ever received lined maroon, but the best (only!) info I have. (I had a shortage of Ws on the transfer sheet hence the visual mismatch!)

The article also mentions under Diagram E145 "Apparently not all these coaches ran in pairs as 'B Sets', so the odd ones would have had normal buffers and draw gear at each end" - probably why the other 5 diagrams (E116/129/135/140/147) quote the number of sets built but E145 quotes the number of coaches.

Oddly enough just within the past week I wondered whether a new 'B Set' model would appear one day, as it was ripe for the picking - little did I know......

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Halvarras said:

The bogie pivots had to be moved inwards a bit, but photos show these 9' bogies were very close to the ends of the vehicle.

Do you know whether the 'pivot point' had to be moved on the prototypes? I had interpreted the photographic evidence re bogie and coach end as the result of the additional 3 inches on the 'outer' half of the bogie.  Moving the centre of the bogie  inwards, together with the extra bogie length, might have had consequences for the positioning of the truss rods?

I am hoping that this is merely a consequence of the models/bogies used in your conversions. Like you I would rather have the E145 version so hoping it is a simple swap.