Rapido OO Gauge LMS Dia1666 5-plank open

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 02/12/2022 at 16:30, rapidoTom said:

Lastly, a little coincidence - a couple of weeks after finishing the CAD for this wagon, I went to the Bucks Railway Centre gala (not for work reasons, don't get too excited!) and happened across a wagon of "unidentified origin" that I'm 95% sure is a d1666. I've not been able to confirm it, but the only difference I can see is the internal vertical ironwork in the corners seemed to be missing. I didn't have a tape measure to check the dimensions. If anyone has more concrete info on that I'd be interested to know - we have included it as a livery available for purchase (it was a Chatham Dockyard internal user wagon, donated to preservation in 2002).

That also begs the question (assuming it is a d1666) - at least one made it into industrial/military use, so presumably many did. Does anyone know of any other industries they may have ended up in? We'd be particularly interested if you had photos!

The Bluebell have a bunch of wagons (mostly Southern, but including an LMS D1892) that came from the Port of Bristol Authority, which bought them from BR in the late 50s or early 60s. Most of their original numbers are lost, so there seems to be plenty of guesswork involved!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Unfortunately, I have yet to come across a photograph of a wagon from LMS Lot 1371. Were they true representatives of D.2094 or SR Dia.1375, perhaps given Morton brakes at the behest of the customer?

John

Didn't look far!

These are plated Ashford 1944 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsopen/e3adba7bd  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsopen/e349cf3ca  and a couple more https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsopen/e20072f04   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsopen/e3e7321cd   All unfortunately after BR vacuum brake rebuild. 

Lot 1381 has a change in the end stanchion, lower numbers have a straight with a 45 deg cut at the top, later ones have the angling starting approx half way up the end. 

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, hmrspaul said:

All OT

Didn't look far!

These are plated Ashford 1944 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsopen/e3adba7bd  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsopen/e349cf3ca  and a couple more https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsopen/e20072f04   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsopen/e3e7321cd   All unfortunately after BR vacuum brake rebuild. 

Lot 1381 has a change in the end stanchion, lower numbers have a straight with a 45 deg cut at the top, later ones have the angling starting approx half way up the end. 

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't remember if it was on this thread or another that I alluded to the proportion of LMS wagons of pre-grouping origin at nationalisation. I've just come across the spreadsheet where I made the calculation, using stock totals from Tatlow, LNER Wagons Vol. 1, and build quantities from Essery & Morgan, The LMS Wagon. At 31 December:

1922 - 100%, naturally enough!

1931 - 66%

1939 - 48%

1946 - 38%

That should warm the cockles of the heart of any wagon kit building enthusiast, or kit / RTR manufacturer!

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I can't remember if it was on this thread or another that I alluded to the proportion of LMS wagons of pre-grouping origin at nationalisation. I've just come across the spreadsheet where I made the calculation, using stock totals from Tatlow, LNER Wagons Vol. 1, and build quantities from Essery & Morgan, The LMS Wagon. At 31 December:

1922 - 100%, naturally enough!

1931 - 66%

1939 - 48%

1946 - 38%

That should warm the cockles of the heart of any wagon kit building enthusiast, or kit / RTR manufacturer!

That's properly warmed my cockles squire 😅

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

... 1946 - 38% ... That should warm the cockles of the heart of any wagon ... kit / RTR manufacturer!

The only trouble is that that 38% represents a huge number of different wagon types compared with the relatively few types in the remaining 62% ................................ anyway, it's not just the cockles that need warming this evening .... BRRRRRRRRR !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The only trouble is that that 38% represents a huge number of different wagon types compared with the relatively few types in the remaining 62% ................................ anyway, it's not just the cockles that need warming this evening .... BRRRRRRRRR !

Gives you a good reason to build a wide variety of kits then. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Incidentally - and to get back on topic, briefly - they include two Diagram 1666 wagons from a manufacturer who's no longer in business .... and there are another two from another ex-manufacturer running on my layout already !

Are they all the right shape though?

But I was taken to task for suggesting the work of one well-known late whitemetal kit manufacturer was wrongly-proportioned.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

That wouldn't have been a certain well-known late whitemetal kit manufacturer who got banned from these pages for being over critical of other people's products, would it ?  R.I.P.

I think this is not the place to rehash such ancient controversies. Follow the link to my thread - that seemed to be the place!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The January 2023 RM has an article on Rapido's Warley announcements. The paragraph covering this model is, to my mind, bizarre: "The fourth new 00 gauge model to be announced is the London Midland & Scottish Railway Diagram 1666 five-plank open wagon, which will be appropriate to run with the manufacturer's forthcoming Highland Railway Jones Goods 4-6-0."

An oddity is the spelling out of the company name in full. I am left with the impression that the copywriter, evidently aware of the GWR and LNER, had never heard of the LMS.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

By way of a little update, here's one of our hand-painted livery samples! We think it's looking rather nice, but let us know if you have any feedback.

15 versions across LMS, BR and industrial use are available, order book closing soon!

FB_IMG_1674222167890.jpg.03b2f2d89e96b58b77604f4efcaf329b.jpg

• Like 18

48 minutes ago, rapidoTom said:

15 versions across LMS, BR and industrial use are available, order book closing soon!

When is the order deadline as I think I have missed it? (the deadline date, not the actual deadline)

I think a couple of BR Grey ones are in order

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

When is the order deadline as I think I have missed it? (the deadline date, not the actual deadline)

I think a couple of BR Grey ones are in order

Order deadline will be the 6th Feb 2023 👈

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Nice model of a well chosen prototype.  After all, you can't have too many bog standard unfitted open wagons in a pre-nationalisation goods train - most modellers have too many vans and things like tank wagons that a typical wayside station doesn't have facilities for handling

Should sell well, but not for me at the price; works out about a tenner more than Accuarscale's latest announcement (rerun of MDO/MDV) which is a comparable product though I'm prepared to pay a bit more for niche items like the SECR wagons.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Should sell well, but not for me at the price; works out about a tenner more than Accuarscale's latest announcement (rerun of MDO/MDV) which is a comparable product though I'm prepared to pay a bit more for niche items like the SECR wagons.

I think it's less than £3 more than the MDV if bought through a retailer (e.g. RoS price is £27.95).

Ah, go on....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rapidoTom said:

By way of a little update, here's one of our hand-painted livery samples! We think it's looking rather nice, but let us know if you have any feedback.

FB_IMG_1674222167890.jpg.03b2f2d89e96b58b77604f4efcaf329b.jpg

A small point I know but the interior colour of the SR wagon is  - to my eye at least - preferable.

ChrisH

• Like 1
  • Agree 1