Rapido OO Gauge LMS Dia1666 5-plank open

AY Mod

41 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Was this not (in part at least) because some diagrams differed only in the thickness of the planking ? That would affect tare weight but nothing else. I must confess it's been a long time since I had "LMS Wagons" open on the desk whilst building a batch of vans.  

I don't have all the information to hand but essentially a diagram difference is going to be due to measurement that will affect how the vehicle can be loaded. This could be the width of the door or if thinner planking was used making the insides larger. 

From our perspective a difference of an inch or two on the door or the different internal measurements of a van doesn't affect us directly fortunately.

On 30/11/2022 at 15:47, 41516 said:

I think that would probably be the easiest solution, a warm browner tone of grey for the body and the ironwork picked out in a darker, ruster shade for those supposed to be unpainted.

Edit - Or as an alternative, one with the ironwork only freshly repainted in freight grey.

The latter is what we will most likely we will be doing for the final BR versions of the D1666 as we don`t do weathered models generally (but personally I do like your idea that you mentioned first). I`m the one who originally did the preliminary artwork last year and I will confess that I misinterpreted the references I had when I did the artwork originally and the final BR versions will most likely have the outside black strapping removed along with a few other minor changes. I`m currently doing the factory artwork for the D1666 so you and a few others pointing this out along with other details provided in this thread has helped me tremendously. It will get reviewed as well to make sure any details have not gone amiss so that any possible errors are corrected before they are sent to the factory.

Edited by RapidoDanT
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 23/01/2023 at 10:42, Wickham Green too said:

Anyway, here's a wide-doored, angle-uprighted, curb-railed timber-framed LMS five-plank ( yes, count the bolt holes ) open goods wagon you'll not find a picture of in any LMS Wagons book : Dia.2073.

440_11.jpg.2bb5b92c58d3c1ffe379d8e7e76dc6f0.jpg

Sorry but, no matter how many times I look at this picture, I can only count four planks 😐

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Poor Old Bruce said:

Sorry but, no matter how many times I look at this picture, I can only count four planks 😐

1242512642_hqdefault2.jpg.b4c7fcfe16f0f6aaeeb439a57f504fee.jpg

The wagon in question has been replanked at some point using wider planks. If you count the bolts in sets of two you can see it used to be a five plank. You may already know that of course.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

If there's one thing that's certain about wagons, it's that they are as prone to change with age as we are. I used to be a 7-planker but now I'm just a 3-plank, with dropsides at that.

RMweb has a small minority who are plonker rather than planker. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

If there's one thing that's certain about wagons, it's that they are as prone to change with age as we are. I used to be a 7-planker but now I'm just a 3-plank, with dropsides at that.

I think my "spirit wagon" must be an LNER cattle wagon - there's a definite sag in the middle and I'm probably going to be outlived by older models.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This seems to be the best place to post this, as the condition, painted or otherwise, of LMS opens in the 1950s has been discussed. This is cropped fro a scan of a photo in a magazine; unfortunately I don't have the reference but the place is "somewhere in Scotland", the date 1957, and the wagons, a pair of ex-MR D663As - the immediate precursor of D1666:

D663Apair1957colour.jpg.488a0d13d0432ab35f834c6c56b031c2.jpg

[My thanks to a correspondent who wishes to remain anonymous for passing this on to me.]

The right-hand wagon would appear to have had a full repaint into BR grey, sufficiently long enough ago for the paint to have come off much of the ironwork. The left-hand wagon has a curb rail, two or three door planks and possibly one side plank in what also looks to BR grey but the rest is "unpainted" unless the eye of faith sees the remnants of LMS bauxite. Has the wagon received new planks since being painted BR grey? But look at the inside of the door on the far side - definitely grey. Has this top door plank been reversed?

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

... Has this top door plank been reversed?

Could just be a new replacement plank ........ possibly a tinge browner than the grey paint. ( Equally the curb rail, for that matter.)

Yes, the eye of faith does think it sees the remnants of LMS bauxite on the rest of the wagon.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Excellent. If these aren't the top seller of 2023, the hobby's lost all contact with the prototype.

Well on that basis I can say the hobby has lost contact with the prototype quite substantially…

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

Well on that basis I can say the hobby has lost contact with the prototype quite substantially…

I take it that means the Southern wagons are selling well!

Anyone who has bought one of those should be buying at least a dozen of these...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I take it that means the Southern wagons are selling well!

Anyone who has bought one of those should be buying at least a dozen of these...

In honesty - the some of the Southern stuff has sold very well. The GWR sells consistently but the LMS opens didn’t break any records by quite a margin. I’d love to know why!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Ah - but the Dia.1/108 announcement may be just round the corner ! 😁

Not a corner I'd be walking round however, good they might be!

Replacing my my Bachmann and Parkside fleet would set me back the thick end of a grand!

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, rapidoandy said:

In honesty - the some of the Southern stuff has sold very well. The GWR sells consistently but the LMS opens didn’t break any records by quite a margin. I’d love to know why!

I would suggest that it is because the prototype is too commonplace and ubiquitous!

There is, also, I would suggest, the question of educating the customer base: understanding why you, as the modeller of a SR or GWR BLT, absolutely need several of this wagon.

I keep trying!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I would suggest that it is because the prototype is too commonplace and ubiquitous!

There is, also, I would suggest, the question of educating the customer base: understanding why you, as the modeller of a SR or GWR BLT, absolutely need several of this wagon.

I suspect, too, that the LMS, despite being the largest of the Big Four, is probably disproportionately less commonly modelled. It certainly doesn't have the passionate fanbase that the other three, and in particular the GWR, have. I'm struggingly to remember the last time I saw an LMS BLT at an exhibition.

I entirely agree that the ubiquity of these wagons means that they can be justified on almost any Big 4 or early BR layout, anywhere in the country. But a lot of modellers probably don't realise the extent to which they did intermingle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1