KR Models - New Class 40 EOI

Hilux5972

19 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Equally - with so many new offerings or new classes coming out each year, I tend to focus on classes I do not have rather than ones I do.

Exactly! I might well have been tempted by a new Bachy 37 for the sake of having something to the latest and highest standards and for the fun of having rotating fans linked to the sound project. However, something totally new is always going to take priority and vacuum up funds. There are always exceptions. In my case, a Deltic out of curiosity and a couple of Manors to compare Dapol and Accurascale. A new BR Standard? Gimme! A P2? Gimme, gimme! Model Rail and Heljan’s 48 can’t be far off. Let’s hope the Model Rail people are fussier than they were with the PWM.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 22/08/2023 at 15:02, adb968008 said:

Didnt see D326 on the website but I did spot the EWS and Regional Railways versions.

https://krmodels.net/product/class-40-diesel-electric-locomotive/

both images are url link to krs website.

RegionalRailways.jpg

40032 having headcodes ?

EWS.jpg

The bonnet curves remind me of the jouef 40 somewhat

Are the speakers going to fighting each other?

image.png.c6c296db1bd34485869f4296d09103d6.png

• Funny 11

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 01/09/2023 at 10:27, zr2498 said:

Are the speakers going to fighting each other?

image.png.c6c296db1bd34485869f4296d09103d6.png

Many many years ago, I saw the early Lima EPs for their 40…

They had two different new mechanisms proposed…

one was a twin pan cake on each bogie, the other was like the 20, with a centre motor, with shaft and gear tower on the bogie.

The twin pancake, when placed on the track immediately wanted to go opposite directions because of how they initially wired them, so the 40 just jumped up and down on the spot.

😀

The other with the 20 motor didnt really set the world on fire either as it was too light and only drove one bogie, unlike the 20 which had a solid metal block it was a standard plastic chassis.

They later went the default cheap route, a single pancake like all the others, but if you look at the dummy bogie it still has the planned gear tower, just empty.

Lima also made D200, 40106, 40145, D335 and 40126 as early releases, with 40066 (Scottish headcode conversion) which no one repeated since until Bachmann last year, and 40001… £27.95 in those days.

I recall a cold start of 40145 at Bury once, on a winter mist morning, took 30 minutes, filled not just the museum yard but most of the town centre in white diesel fumes which made their own inversion layer in the air, the fire service even arrived.

😀

Heres an idea…

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Am I missing something?

I've just had something pop up from Rails in my Faceache feed about pre-orders being open for the KR Models Class 40, which is claiming "We have been working closely with the Class 40 Preservation Society to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate model of the Whistler that is possible." (other opinions may or may not be available) but when I decided to have a curious look all there were to pre order were a load of fictional liveries and preserved examples.  Nothing from their days in normal service.

I'll leave the discussion of the model accuracy and fidelity to those who have got their electron microscopes and photo editing software on standby but I must admit to being genuinely baffled as to the choice of launch liveries including no "normal service" offers and three two (can't count) comedy liveries.

Edited by wombatofludham
Three preserved, two fictional, I can't count
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Am I missing something?

I've just had something pop up from Rails in my Faceache feed about pre-orders being open for the KR Models Class 40, which is claiming "We have been working closely with the Class 40 Preservation Society to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate model of the Whistler that is possible." (other opinions may or may not be available) but when I decided to have a curious look all there were to pre order were a load of fictional liveries and preserved examples.  Nothing from their days in normal service.

I'll leave the discussion of the model accuracy and fidelity to those who have got their electron microscopes and photo editing software on standby but I must admit to being genuinely baffled as to the choice of launch liveries including no "normal service" offers and three comedy liveries.

If you keep scrolling down the page you’ll the normal service ones under Bachmann, they are also cheaper, instock now and you know what your getting.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

If you keep scrolling down the page you’ll the normal service ones under Bachmann, they are also cheaper, instock now and you know what your getting.

I think I might just wait and see if Accurascale are sniffing around especially as the two latest green with yellow bib releases from Bachmann have post preservation high intensity lamps and I'm not about to start hacking them to make them suitable for 1968!

(edit) Having said all that, I've just found a fantastic image on Flickr of D292 (one of the current releases sans yellow bib) next to D302, the latter sporting weathered full yellow end livery similar to the recent 40039 release.  D292 has a non standard yellow bib that looks like a depot job which would be easy to apply to the current model of D292, and a bit of T-Cut and some D number transfers on 40039 and Robert is your mother's sister's latest squeeze...

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm genuinely up for a decent modern Class 40 and if the KR one turns out good then I'll get a few. Until then the Bachmann one can be lowered and fettled into something decent.

20231008_155020.jpg.74819e70ed91f22217ad1bf849ae0d04.jpg

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I'm genuinely up for a decent modern Class 40 and if the KR one turns out good then I'll get a few. Until then the Bachmann one can be lowered and fettled into something decent.

20231008_155020.jpg.74819e70ed91f22217ad1bf849ae0d04.jpg

I reckon my fleet of Bachmann EE Type 4s are unthreatened at this time.

And TBF, any future time...

Based on their EE Type 3 and Brush Type 4 counterparts not being usurped by latest tooling. It's just not going to happen any more than a switch to TT120 is on the cards.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

I reckon my fleet of Bachmann EE Type 4s are unthreatened at this time.

And TBF, any future time...

Based on their EE Type 3 and Brush Type 4 counterparts not being usurped by latest tooling. It's just not going to happen any more than a switch to TT120 is on the cards.

The basic proportions are right and they capture the stance of the real thing well. They are designed in such a way to make it easy to reduce the ride height and I recall discussing that this is by design. Also, Westfield Wagon Works have just released a chassis detailing kit to add the missing details and replace the comically overscale Bachmann details too which will make a damn good representation of a Whistler if you like to tinker!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

I noticed these on the Rails website Yesterday, I can not say the pictures shown wowed me, and I'm not interested in liveries that were never applied to the Class 40. I might have been interested in 40 106 had it been last days of BR style green and without the nameplate, but overall I'm fairly happy with my Bachmann 40's.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 26power said:

I assume the images on there are still just renders?

Glad that is all they are as there are so many errors and inaccuracies as to make them laughable. Just hoping they all get fixed. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Glad that is all they are as there are so many errors and inaccuracies as to make them laughable. Just hoping they all get fixed. 

Roy

They’re not exactly a great selling point compared to other companies’ CADs and renders are they! 

Hopefully the CFPS will be wielding a pointy stick at KR to get it knocked into shape. I really hope so as it will put other manufacturers off from doing a 40 (some have said as much with other classes), though a blue box retool may happen at some point.

The fantasy liveries tend to sell slower and end up in bargain bins, so assuming the detail is correct and the nose ends can be fixed then a little IPA and a respray may be in order. Alternatively, if the first batch end up right I’ll happily wait for the second batch and super detail the Bachmann 40s in the meantime instead. With regards to the shallow bogie detail, a little weathering helps a lot with that.

Edited by 97406
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As for getting a 40 up to scratch with what is available at the moment, here’s what can be done with the Bachmann class 40 plus Shawplan screens and West Hill Wagon Works’ chassis detailing kit. I could go even further and add a Shawplan fan grille, but I tend to stick a thumb through them if I’m not careful!

If the KR 40 turns out as good, I will be getting a few.

0032.JPG.e8dcef877afae4e360a62c82f3520989.JPG

33.JPG.332e0cf5d29555e188e459f1fd2d7047.JPG

36.JPG.adab07cf6453ad614a4c4c2b3afbd0e0.JPG

• Like 10

37 minutes ago, 97406 said:

As for getting a 40 up to scratch with what is available at the moment, here’s what can be done with the Bachmann class 40 plus Shawplan screens and West Hill Wagon Works’ chassis detailing kit. I could go even further and add a Shawplan fan grille, but I tend to stick a thumb through them if I’m not careful!

Hi Tim, have you managed to test the 40 with additional bits on curved track yet to see if works? I like the look of adding the bits but wonder if will obstruct the rotation of bogies on my 3rd rad curves. Have used the WHWW bits on some (original Bachmann) 20s to improve on the undernourished and missing bits - quite pleased with them but parts are quite brittle if get knocked. Thanks,

M

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Hi Tim, have you managed to test the 40 with additional bits on curved track yet to see if works? I like the look of adding the bits but wonder if will obstruct the rotation of bogies on my 3rd rad curves. Have used the WHWW bits on some (original Bachmann) 20s to improve on the undernourished and missing bits - quite pleased with them but parts are quite brittle if get knocked. Thanks,

M

The tightest curves on my layout are on the Peco double slips and it works fine. I had lowered the loco a little too much and they caught underneath, so I raised it up again a tad using 20 thou shims of Plasticard under the tops of the bogie towers. You may need to fettle the tops of the bogie details, but it will go round tight curves. The bogies rotate smoothly.

20240408_094727.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, 97406 said:

Very nice layout and I will admit, I always fancied trying to do an all BR corporate blue only scene. Sadly I then get tempted by mixing in a bit of  later sector liveries or mixing in a bit of BR green that was still clinging around in the 70s..... 

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

Very nice layout and I will admit, I always fancied trying to do an all BR corporate blue only scene. Sadly I then get tempted by mixing in a bit of  later sector liveries or mixing in a bit of BR green that was still clinging around in the 70s..... 

Thank you. I can actually model any time from the late 70s to the early 90s with the cutoff being up to (and including) the triple Railfreight grey sector livery. My favourite time is the mid eighties when the IC executive and original Railfreight liveries started to appear but most traction was still in blue livery.

There was also a few of the 40s and 25s still around too.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

On 08/04/2024 at 09:51, 97406 said:

The tightest curves on my layout are on the Peco double slips and it works fine. I had lowered the loco a little too much and they caught underneath, so I raised it up again a tad using 20 thou shims of Plasticard under the tops of the bogie towers. You may need to fettle the tops of the bogie details, but it will go round tight curves. The bogies rotate smoothly.

Great work!

I did a Bachmann Class 40 a while ago and have been gradually posting my writeup here: https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=7804

I've seen a lot of people say the Bachmann mdoels needs lowering but to be honest I didn't see the need comparing it with drawings. The Peak model was more suspect I felt.

Just typical that the West Hill detailing parts have become available after I spent ages making my own inferior efforts from plasticard and flower wire! On the other hand, I have two more Bachmann 40s to do and those 3D printed bits will make those much less painful!

Edited by Pillar
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Great work!

I did a Bachmann Class 40 a while ago and have been gradually posting my writeup here: https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=7804

I've seen a lot of people say the Bachmann mdoels needs lowering but to be honest I didn't see the need comparing it with drawings. The Peak model was more suspect I felt.

Just typical that the West Hill detailing parts have become available after I spent ages making my own inferior efforts from plasticard and flower wire! On the other hand, I have two more Bachmann 40s to do and those 3D printed bits will make those much less painful!

Thank you. I’ve actually used that thread as reference for my updates so nice to meet on here. You went a little further than me with the fiddly details which is impressive too. I get about 80 or 90 percent there and I’m happy with it. I have a fleet of 9 Bachmann 40s in service with a central headcode one on the to-do list. As mentioned before, I’m always in the market for more!

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

Thank you. I’ve actually used that thread as reference for my updates so nice to meet on here. You went a little further than me with the fiddly details which is impressive too. I get about 80 or 90 percent there and I’m happy with it. I have a fleet of 9 Bachmann 40s in service with a central headcode one on the to-do list. As mentioned before, I’m always in the market for more!

I'm glad you found it useful. That was one of the first locos I converted to P4 and did extensive detailing for. I've definitely become more pragmatic since then given the time it took to finish. I was even questioning whether to do the other two 40s at all, but the new detailing parts from West Hill will probably sway my decision back in favour - not having to make 16 more of those lifting points by hand is a load off my mind!

Cheers,

Liam

Edited by Pillar

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Pillar said:

I'm glad you found it useful. That was one of the first locos I converted to P4 and did extensive detailing for. I've definitely become more pragmatic since then given the time it took to finish. I was even questioning whether to do the other two 40s at all, but the new detailing parts from West Hill will probably sway my decision back in favour - not having to make 16 more of those lifting points by hand is a load off my mind!

Cheers,

Liam

Tell me about it with the lifting points! My head was a little bit floaty after making several sets using MEKP to stick them together! 

• Like 1