KR Models - New Class 40 EOI

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Erm, why?

It will be interesting to see if people are still sensitive about the Great Train Robbery loco, I recall a previous attempt at producing it being canned after protests.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• Hilux5972 changed the title to New Class 40 EOI
  • AY Mod changed the title to KR Models - New Class 40 EOI
  • RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I've put my thoughts on choosing to do D236 on their facebook post.

But it’s ok for Bachmann to do a model of a locomotive involved in the Harrow disaster that actually killed people? It’s not like KR will be adding a pack of people in balaclavas and carrying coshes to add on to the footplate is it. And it’s D326 btw. 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Agree 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Which proves that even today after all these years, the GTR is still a sensitive subject for many.

I see the Facebook page and posts from KR Models have a dedicated band of KRModelsApologists who believe they can do no wrong!  Must have defected from the Hornby Forum I guess...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

But it’s ok for Bachmann to do a model of a locomotive involved in the Harrow disaster that actually killed people? It’s not like KR will be adding a pack of people in balaclavas and carrying coshes to add on to the footplate is it. And it’s D326 btw. 

Whoops yes, D326, apologies.

Windward Isles? I don't recall Bachmann making a big deal of it - limited edition, stating why it was chosen.

The two incidents are viewed differently anyway - Harrow and Wealdstone was an avoidable disaster, which led to safety changes. The "Great" train robbery led to glamourisation of criminality - Ronnie Biggs anyone? Very poor taste.

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Whoops yes, D326, apologies.

Windward Isles? I don't recall Bachmann making a big deal of it - limited edition, stating why it was chosen.

The two incidents are viewed differently anyway - Harrow and Wealdstone was an avoidable disaster, which led to safety changes. The "Great" train robbery led to glamourisation of criminality - Ronnie Biggs anyone? Very poor taste.

It’s not the locomotives fault though is it. And does no one remember the Luton Model clubs diorama recreation in 7mm? Theirs had figures, lights and sound and depicted the moment that the robbery actually took place. That’s worse than just a locomotive. https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/miniature-great-train-robbery-diorama-3400309

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Surprising . While it’s hard not to be excited by a new model, I suspect many will lament the fact that KR are doing the model rather than Accurascale or An updated Bachmann one. The Fell didn’t do anything to enhance their reputation . Of all the locos to choose it seems they picked the wrong one , unless they picked D326 deliberately. Perhaps they think this will enhance sales! 

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 8

3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Surprising . While it’s hard not to be excited by a new model, I suspect many will lament the fact that KR are doing the model rather than Accurascale or An updated Bachmann one. The Fell didn’t do anything to enhance their reputation . Of all the locos to choose it seems they picked the wrong one , unless they picked D326 deliberately. Perhaps they think this will enhance sales! 

You've seen the advert, right?  'The Great Train Robbery Class 40' in bold!

Tasteless.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The GTR is still a very sensitive subject for many railway and Post Office employees of a certain age.  Not least because of what happened to Jack Mills, the driver. 

The subsequent glamourising of Ronnie Biggs' life was nothing thing short of shameful.  Some people seem to love a rogue - even when they have been convicted and open celebrate their notoriety. 

Which it seems is something that KR and the Class 40 Preservation Society seem willing to exploit. Shame. 

Steve

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

Is this in association with the CFPS? The advert seems to indicate that, but the website makes no mention of it. They do seem to be making 40135 twice, all with duel speakers as mentioned above, and no they weren’t all built by EE. Great start KR! It’s not like any of these details matter for a crowd funded project, that you can buy a Bachmann version of right now,

My bargepole is to hand.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Is this in association with the CFPS? The advert seems to indicate that, but the website makes no mention of it. They do seem to be making 40135 twice, all with duel speakers as mentioned above, and no they weren’t all built by EE. Great start KR! It’s not like any of these details matter for a crowd funded project, that you can buy a Bachmann version of right now,

My bargepole is to hand.

Who said it’s a crowdfunded project?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

It’s not the locomotives fault though is it. And does no one remember the Luton Model clubs diorama recreation in 7mm? Theirs had figures, lights and sound and depicted the moment that the robbery actually took place. That’s worse than just a locomotive. https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/miniature-great-train-robbery-diorama-3400309

I'm not criticising the locomotive, I'm criticising KR Models.

I wasn't aware of that diorama no. That does seem to be in poor taste as well :(

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The GTR seems to me to be one of those events that, for the model railway industry at least, it's safest simply to avoid. IMO, an event for commemorating the railway workers injured, and nothing else.

As for this Class 40 announcement, does EOI not mean Expressions Of Interest? If so, then it will be interesting to see how many are willing to trust KR at the moment. I don't, but I want to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think part of the problem is the fact they are specifically advertising it as "The Great Train Robbery Class 40". Had they just done the loco with that number and not drawn attention to the event it most likely wouldn't be eliciting quite the same response. It feels incredibly crass to be specifically using an awful event like that to sell a model train.

Edited by Obsidian Quarry
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9