Modelmaster

TheEngineShed

Here is my update - Still no nameplates delivered, so after several calls to this wonderful business last week, none answered, and getting the ‘Mailbox Full’ message, and after now over a year since I placed my order I have lost patience, and am writing a letter of complaint to:-

South Ayrshire Trading Standards

5/7 River Terrace

AYR

KA8 0BJ

email:- cabac@south-ayrshire.gov.uk

I suggest all fellow complainants recorded in this thread do the same - I do not know what action or sanctions Trading Standards can take against Modelmaster, BUT, at least I now feel I have taken some retaliatory action.

Edited by AY Mod
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I used to subscribe to modelmasters e mailings. I would get about 12 per annum but at irregular intervals, sometimes three different e mails the same day. The emails stopped abruptly on 29th January this year.

Sometimes the E mails were information on the business, sometimes special offers, sometimes product news and sometimes the occasional personal rant. Some of the e mails were contradictory and seemed quite bizarre bordering on the surreal.

Perhaps I've been lucky but everything I ordered from modelmasters turned up promptly. For those that have had problems or lost monies, you have my sympathies.

I wonder if Peco has trouble getting their transfers from modelmasters for the Parkside range? Maybe they've started producing their own?

I copy some of the emails below for information purposes.

Date:Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:32

We''re improving customer communication - but we need YOUR help as well.

07795 499 405 Phone MODELMASTER 13.30-15.30 Monday - Friday 07795 499 405

Currently, if you wish to contact MODELMASTER UK, you have two choices.   You can send an email to our webmail address, or you can 'phone 01292 289770, our Crown Street Office Landline Number.

Neither is satisfactory for different reasons.

If you email Modelmaster, it can take a long time to read, understand and reply to the points raised.  Then, in SIXTY % of replies sent, another email comes back in reply raising other points - therefore one email inquiry CAN take up to an hour to deal with, whereas a 'phone call can be dealt with in less than  five minutes in many cases - but that's only if Elspeth or I are there to receive the calls, and that's what this new number 07795 499 405 is designed to radically improve!

Landlines like 01292 289770 are tied to Answering Machines if the recipient can't answer the 'phone, and although our answering machine is an expensive machine capable of answering and reecording a lot of calls, a few lengthy messages can soon fill the machine, the machine can't take any more messages, and complaints go flying to Social Media, RM Webb, and anybody else that listens.  It's not good for you, and it's not good for Modelmaster!

THE SOLUTION - is that a mobile phone dedicated to YOUR questions, YOUR concerns and YOUR orders even, will go live on Wednesday 3rd January 2022  to accept YOUR calls between 13.30 and 15,30 every weekday.  If for any reason I cant answer your call at that time, just hang up, don't leave a message - in fact, don't even leave your name!, and I'll phone you back AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Because I'm working the rest of the day and quite often can't talk on a phone while I'm spray painting models or nameplates for instance, I'll reply to these calls as and when I can no later than 8pm

I WANT your business, but most of all I WANT you to be happy enough with us to come back and to recommend us to others.

There have been a lot of delays this year (2021 I mean) because of shortages, lockdowns and Brexit, but 2022 I'm sure will be a better year for us all, which is why I'm investing in new products and new product ranges for 2022, including a flat out effort to get the long awaited Locomotive kits into production.

Best regards to you all for a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

The 30% Discount will come off sometine in the next two or three days, I've run out of time to do it just now!

07795 499 405 Faster contact, faster service & faster solutions at 07795 499 405

© 2021 Modelmaster Jackson Evans

Date:   Tue, 16 Mar 2021 9:52

Subject:Good news from Modelmaster.......but I also need your help!

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT LARGE STOCKS OF REPRINTED AND NEW TRANSFERS ARE ARRIVING TOMORROW, WITH A FOLLOW UP ORDER IN

ANOTHER TWO WEEKS!  NAMEPLATES WILL

ALSO FOLLOW IN TWO - THREE WEEKS!

Now, this is why I need your help -

Understandably, some customers get frustrated, but what has caused me REAL problems recently was the replacement of our oinline Email system, which had to be completely reinstalled with greater security after attempts

to 'hack' into my emails.

Some customers will STILL only communicate with me by email.  (phone calls average three minutes, reading and answering emails averages twenty minutes), but the job took longer than expected, and I could not read emails for about three weeks between 18th February and 11th March.

When I could read emails again, all of the 'missing' ones

appeared, but there are too many to answer individually.

(just under five hundred)

Since I don't use Facebook, Twitter, etc., could someone please help me to spread the word about why I didn't reply? I would be grateful, as I really DO want to get all

orders fulfilled as soon as possible, but am being hampered by complaints to Paypal and Ebay, replies to which take about thirty minutes per 'case' and are holding back the real work of getting you all supplied as

quickly as possible.

I'm in the office (still alone) most days between 10am and 9pm and am sending out between 20 - 35 orders per day,

so I expect to have most orders completed by the end of the month.  Some of the earlier ones not delivered are

waiting for new transfers / nameplates to arrive, so

hopefully there'll be a more rapid 'catch up' with them

when the new transfers & nameplates arrive.

Remember, I still have a dedicated two hour 'phone slot' between 11 and 1 every weekday to answer your questions or take telephone orders.

Best regards to you all,

According to a well known website, we're out of business!

Date:   Sat, 9 Jan 2021 17:57

According to RM Web, MODELMASTER JACKSON EVANS LTD. has been closed down by HMRC Companies House.

I asked for it to be done, as I'm splitting the company into two other Limited Companies, but unfortunately the 'sensational' announcement has been presented in such a way that I've had quite a few messages of disbelief, sympathy, and offers of financial help.

What a difference between the way it was reported by RM Web (why DID they report a perfectly normal event like this in any case?), and the kind, concerned, helpful response of my customers.

Nothing worse than gossip! 

Over 3000 Etched N Gauge 2mm Nameplates just arrived !

Date:   Sat, 31 Oct 2020 19:37

We've just received over 3,000 MODELMASTER N Gauge nameplates ordered a few months ago!

It will take at least a couple of months to prime, paint and pack them, but we'll send out back orders as soon as possible, and relist them on our online catalogue.

We'll be working during the just announced English Lockdown (we've no choice, because we get no British or Scottish Government help if we close because I receive a State Pension!)

We're not producing any more nameplates or transfers

Date:   Sun, 4 Oct 2020 11:58

I'm standing as an official candidate at the Scottish Parliamentary Election early in 2021, so whether or not I become an M.S.P.,  (50/50!!)  Elspeth and I will NOT be producing any new or restocking any existing, decals or etched nameplates from now on.

It's a good time to stop.

Neither will there be any huge discount offers in order to 'get rid of what we have - it'll sell out in its

own time.

All outstanding orders will be fulfilled, and MODELMASTER and our website at modelmaster.uk is

certainly NOT  closing down!

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I recall a number of emails where he said he was winding down, not doing N scale etc, etc, even the standing for Scottish parliament one(!) and then a few weeks or occasionally hours later, along comes another email saying he has new stock arriving, on one occasion a large delivery of new N scale items he had forgotten he had even ordered!!!!

Shambolic doesn't even come close...

And I had forgotten he was supposed to be doing those loco kits, they have gone very quiet as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I remember the emails.  They were entertaining in a surreal kind of way, especially those with the multi-coloured text.

His products were good but he appears to have lost his grip on his business and is dealing with it by not dealing with it.

Not sure what happened with the loco kits, were they just a fantasy?

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Not sure what happened with the loco kits, were they just a fantasy?

According to the front page of the website, the loco kits are delayed due to the mould maker/caster having a near fatal road accident.

That website really is awful, most of the products have no illustrations and it has that design feel of a 1990's Microsoft Frontpage bodge up design, and this is apparently the new version with yet another new website being promised "soon".

Also seem to be having trouble with their phone line, called today to check on an order placed March 2022 apparently the etches came in in early September, however chasing that order up has become time consuming, today as I mentioned I called, phone goes to a thumbed voice mail, 1, 2, 3... then the call ends. About 30 mins later I called again it goes through to a Sky call mailbox. So not quite sure what's going on up there... just called again and appears to be in use straight through to Mailbox

I telephoned MmJE on the 8th August with regards an order placed on the 12th May 2022 for some Merchant Navy nameplates and cabside numbers. The website says ring between 1.30pm and 3.00pm - so I rang at 2.22pm and received an immediate reply.  It was explained to me that there had been delays in getting etched plates painted - for some reason which I forget, red plates were harder to get completed than black. Another order a couple of days after the 12th May one, was for a Schools Class plate and cabside number - the plate arrived, but the cabside number was just a blank black transfer. He was very apologetic and said he would look into my orders - I gave him the references, but have neither heard nor received anything since. May be I'll get a surprise in the post - one day!! 

Edited by Bulleidboy100

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

I telephoned MmJE on the 8th August with regards an order placed on the 12th May 2022 for some Merchant Navy nameplates and cabside numbers. The website says ring between 1.30pm and 3.00pm - so I rang at 2.22pm and received an immediate reply.  It was explained to me that there had been delays in getting etched plates painted - for some reason which I forget, red plates were harder to get completed than black. Another order a couple of days after the 12th May one, was for a Schools Class plate and cabside number - the plate arrived, but the cabside number was just a blank black transfer. He was very apologetic and said he would look into my orders - I gave him the references, but have neither heard nor received anything since. May be I'll get a surprise in the post - one day!! 

I'm afraid that, after all that's been posted here, placing an order with Modelmasters is simply asking for disappointment / frustration.

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6

He was at one point selling on eBay which was probably the only way of guaranteeing some sort of reasonable delivery time but that seems to have died a death and you can guess why. I can only imagine his horror when eBay insisted he a) actually had the items to sell and b) had to get it to the customer within the current decade. 😂

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Well I think you have to keep it updated persona!ly just as a warning. I had no idea before I did a Google search and indeed would have probably let my refund ability lapse as others have without coming across a similar thread on here when the alarm bells first started ringing. The problem is many people don't hang around the model shop guide thread on here or indeed are signed up for RMWeb so the complaints will continue to trickle in, and understandably a lot of them will be very annoyed. If anything this thread stops more people getting annoyed with him because they won't order if they have any sense. I have no idea if he has dementia but he is obviously still "with it" enough to take orders when he knows he hasn't the ability to supply them - in fact his own website mentions items are out of stock so he clearly knows what he's doing.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I know I will annoy some with this but, Modlemasters is not a Model 'Shop'. Small and now failing/failed on line business, yes. I cannot argue with that.

Also I do understand why so many have had issues, why it is so frustrating and agree that this Business is not fit for purpose.

However, I also hope that when you lot get old you do not develop Dementia, the symtoms of which many of you are describing in your tales of JIms actions, is what this man presents as suffering from. 

OK, it may be damn annoying, but every time I read this thread (and the others about MM) going around and around in ever decreasing Circles, it reminds me of a mob gathered and feeding off each other's anger.

Can we not just say don't use MM as CCtransuk has said and let the horrible comments about this old man go?  Same old same old is getting tedious as are the repeated hateful suggestions.

I gave up ordering from Jim some time ago as I recognise what is actually going on. 

How he gets told that enough is enough I do not know, but dealing with friends that have Dementia and Alzheimer's and starting to get some symptoms myself, especially when tired, I would beg you all to back off.

Phil 

Mallard60022,

We can't back off, even though we have sympathy for Jim.

It is frequently posted here that yet another customer is in danger of losing their money, having been unaware of the facts.

If there is indeed no-one in Jim's immediate circle who can take action to close down his 'trading', all we can do is keep repeating the warning, in the hope that the word gets around.

No-one lacks sympathy for Jim; but we do also sympathise with his unknowing 'victims'.

At the end of the day, what Jim is doing - though probably unintentionally - is fraud. What we are doing here is trying to protect him from himself. More direct action by those close to Jim would be far more effective.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I ordered some items last year,

boxing day i think, as there was an offer of a free book. Half of the transfers eventually arrived but the book never did, neither did the missing orders. Excuse after excuse but now i have had no contact for

over 6 months. I won’t ever use him

again. 
it makes me wonder if it maybe worth pursuing Jim through Peco as modelmaster supply transfers for their parkside kits.  
if nothing else it may alert Peco to potential problems with supply in the future. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

I ordered some items last year,

boxing day i think, as there was an offer of a free book. Half of the transfers eventually arrived but the book never did, neither did the missing orders. Excuse after excuse but now i have had no contact for

over 6 months. I won’t ever use him

again. 
it makes me wonder if it maybe worth pursuing Jim through Peco as modelmaster supply transfers for their parkside kits.  
if nothing else it may alert Peco to potential problems with supply in the future. 

There has been a recent suggestion of a change in the source of the transfers for Peco / Parkside kits.

If correct, this is perhaps not a surprise!

CJI.

43 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

There has been a recent suggestion of a change in the source of the transfers for Peco / Parkside kits.

I have recently bought some Peco/Parkside PC65 kits from a a supplier with a high volume turnover.

The supplied transfers sheets had no reference to Modelmaster printed on them as was originally the case. Other than that, the supplied transfers including the paper they were printed on looked to be identical to what Modelmaster used to supply.

P

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I have recently bought some Peco/Parkside PC65 kits from a a supplier with a high volume turnover.

The supplied transfers sheets had no reference to Modelmaster printed on them as was originally the case. Other than that, the supplied transfers including the paper they were printed on looked to be identical to what Modelmaster used to supply.

P

To the best of my knowledge, ALL waterslide paper is produced by Tullis Russell.

CJI.

Here is my update - Some 4 weeks ago I wrote to South Ayrshire Trading Standards, outlining (detailing would have needed far too much paper) the history of my single attempted purchase from Modelmaster. I got a call today from a Trading Standards Officer, he was visiting Modelmaster this afternoon to discuss my complaint, presumably with Mr J Grindlay, he said he will call me in the next weeks ??? to tell me the outcome.

On a positive note, I ordered the loco nameplates, I first ordered from Modelmaster in September 2021 (which I am still waiting for) from Fox Transfers 10 days ago, they arrived today. A couple of £ more than Modelmaster’s 2021 price and £4 more than Modelmaster is now selling them for (assuming he actually delivers them) BUT woo-hoo, high 5, I have what I wanted, £29 outlay altogether, after waiting over a year, don’t anybody dare call me a “want it yesterday customer” 

What is missing from the industry that supports our hobby is a standard setting association, many, many other trades and industries have them, nor do we have a critical model railway press, how often does Railway Modeller, British Railway Modelling or Hornby magazines publish complaints such as these on RMWeb, or report on R-to-R models that fail after a few hours operation? If you are modeller unaware of RMWeb or YouTubers such as Sam’s Trains, you have no chance of avoiding poor products or lemon retailers. Against that, after decades modelling, I have come across very few instances of poor products and poor customer service, but three failures have cost me a lot of money in repairs - I won’t buy Heljan steam outline again without reading positive results from long term testing.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I think your comment that there are “very few instances of poor products or lemon retailers” is one of the reasons why there is no standard setting association for model railway retailers.  The costs of such an organisation would need to be borne by someone and retailers and manufacturers (and everyone else) have cost issues aplenty right now without adding another burden.  Trading Standards provides the role quite adequately given the relatively small numbers involved - both in cases and monetary value.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I think there's more bad retailers currently than there ever has been, certainly as far as RTR is concerned. Barely 6 months passes without a manufacturer launching a new model and judging from the reviews half of them come with faulty motors, wheels out of gauge,  arrive with parts broken off/poorly built or just can't stay on the tracks, and of course a top notch price.

The baffling thing is the new owners then try to 'fix' them without sending them back😂 I can't think of anyone buying say a new car where it won't go above 50mph and the front wheels randomly point in the wrong direction and the owner putting up with it, so perhaps our tolerance of these issues in the hobby encourages them to keep doing it?

Edited by Sjcm
Typo

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Personally I think there's more bad retailers currently than there ever has been, certainly as far as RTR is concerned. Barely 6 months passes without a manufacturer launching a new model and judging from the reviews half of them come with faulty motors, wheels out of gauge,  arrive with parts broken off/poorly built or just can't stay on the tracks, and of course a top notch price.

You mention retailers but are actually complaining about manufacturers.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Being a railway modeller I find it less effort and more fun to put a model right, than to send it back.

Well I enjoy buying non runners and getting them working, but if I'm going to be spending 150+ pounds on a new loco one of the reasons to do that is it's actually supposed to be going to work properly in the first place. Completely dismantling it because of a fault, or hacking parts off it because of a design flaw seems to rather defeat the purpose

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That all depends on the purpose.  It's different for different people.

Yes of course, but I think most people buying a RTR model are expecting it to be erm....ready to run. If Hornby/Bachmann/whoever launch a "Do our job" Range where you get parts, CAD software and a 3D printer bundled into the price then I will acknowledge there is a market for fixing brand new models

• Like 1