Modelmaster

TheEngineShed

• RMweb Premium

One thing I have always found puzzling is the shambolic website. 

Over half the items, maybe more have no illustrations whatsoever and pretty vague descriptions so I have never really understood what it was he was selling.

If he got that sorted out and got his act together then maybe, just maybe he might be able to recover the business because as it stands at the moment with its consistently poor service, contradictory and rambling communications and a general air of being stuck in the 1980's, its effectively dead in the water and nobody will touch it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I retract my previous comment in embarrassment, as my outstanding order for Plates and Decals is on its way with an apology as it had to be ordered in. 

My faith is yet again restored, and I must learn to not want everything 'yesterday' . If I was younger I'd 'touch it' with pleasure and give it a go.

• Like 2

On 13/05/2022 at 16:49, Mallard60022 said:

That has kept me supporting MM on RMWeb for more than a couple of years. Real impatience from a group of people seemingly and like  Terriers with a blooming Rabbit. However, the situation of folk having paid and stuff just not arriving has become regular now. Dave should really  think about selling the Business on as the stuff is good but I believe he is no longer able to cope, which is very sad indeed.

There comes a time when things really can't continue this way.

I am not in any way battering Dave. I've known him for decades. It is what has happened to the Business that is so very sad.

Phil

Who is Dave?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

You have apparently been calling Jim “Dave” for decades - life imitates art eh?

Cheers

Darius

Oh how silly of me. Jim, of course, but not decades, that is a bit naughty.  However, thank you for pointing that out Dave!

Dave.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Oh how silly of me. Jim, of course, but not decades, that is a bit naughty.  However, thank you for pointing that out Dave!

Dave.

I'm losing it....thanks Dave.

Thanks Dave.

I thought that was a Scottish submarine commander; Dave Dave Dave!

Mike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

This Jim person who runs Modelmasters must be on a wind up? Advising when to ring on a mobile number. Between 13:30 and 15:00. Two days now and its constantly on voicemail, which is full.

Did anyone else place an order around boxing day with the promise of a free book? I got the order but the note said ‘book to follow’. 

tried to contact them as i have not received anything yet and cannot raise the bloke.

Has to be remembered, he's on his own when I talked to him  weeks ago, I ordered something 2 months ago, and completely understand his position, delays at etchers as everyone is using the same one mostly, then to prep / paint and pack and send orders, and yes the website isn't fantastic nether is Sage as it takes the money straight away, its tough to do everything on your own..

We had a good chat for over an hour about the problems and issues, as I understand the manufacturing and small business... it has it's draw backs.

So I sympathize with the situation... unfortunately when a manufacturer makes a model and x amount of orders come in for say a terrier your unprepared and then takes months to make more. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Bulleid Plates and Transfers for a 'Packet' renumber job ordered some weeks back. Got all the interim Comm's with no problem and an apology in the package, about a short delay due to reordering required.

Arrived yesterday as promised and with another written apology and up to the usual great standard of goods.

Some patience and maybe a little more understanding required here, yet again.

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Bluebell Model Railway said:

Has to be remembered, he's on his own when I talked to him  weeks ago, I ordered something 2 months ago, and completely understand his position, delays at etchers as everyone is using the same one mostly, then to prep / paint and pack and send orders, and yes the website isn't fantastic nether is Sage as it takes the money straight away, its tough to do everything on your own..

We had a good chat for over an hour about the problems and issues, as I understand the manufacturing and small business... it has it's draw backs.

So I sympathize with the situation... unfortunately when a manufacturer makes a model and x amount of orders come in for say a terrier your unprepared and then takes months to make more. 

Exactly, however the 'want it now generation' seem triggered.

Phil

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Exactly, however the 'want it now generation' seem triggered.

Phil

I dont think the vast majority of complaints are from people who "want it now". They are from people who have had to wait many months, often with no communication. 

What would be helpful is if he was able to give lead times for items not in stock on his website - and indicate what it is that is usually in stock. 

I think most people are also understanding of the situation that he is working on his own. But if there is more work to do than one person can deal with - then get someone to help! 

Edited by JohnR
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 25/05/2022 at 11:33, JohnR said:

I dont think the vast majority of complaints are from people who "want it now". They are from people who have had to wait many months, often with no communication. 

What would be helpful is if he was able to give lead times for items not in stock on his website - and indicate what it is that is usually in stock. 

I think most people are also understanding of the situation that he is working on his own. But if there is more work to do than one person can deal with - then get someone to help! 

Could not have put this better,  waiting six months with no communication about 

items not in stock on there website.

Edited by paul 27
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/05/2022 at 15:27, Bluebell Model Railway said:

We had a good chat for over an hour .........

He's way behind with orders; operating on his own; and can still find time for a 60+ minute chat?

Perhaps therein lies part of the problem?

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I placed my first order with MM for a number of years last week. I'd stopped using him as a result of stories of missing orders, and after having had one of my own go wrong. It was a heart-in-mouth moment when I placed the order, but communication (in the form of automatic emails) has been good so far. Then today Jim phoned me to say that there would be a delay as one item was out of stock and asked me what I wanted to do. I said I was still waiting for a similar incomplete order from two or so years ago, which seemed a good moment to tell him that I'd stopped using him and why. He was very grateful for the frankness and explained the kind of measures he'd been taking, and the pressures he was under from his suppliers, many of whom have gone bust, putting pressure on the remaining ones. He said one recent order from the etchers, which used to take a month, took from February 2021 to November 2021. That all sounded fair enough, but I pointed out that when customers were only hearing rumours and complaints, and getting only silence from him, it's natural that they take their business somewhere else. He agreed and said he'd been trying to work on the communication side, and the automatic emails are the result of an eyewatering amount invested in the website. I notice also that the home page currently gives details of a recent illness which slowed things down. I asked why he couldn't show automatic stock levels the way, say, Eileen's does (though I've been a victim of that recently) and he said he was quoted many thousands of pounds to install such a system. Also, while he might in theory have 10 units in stock, with things like transfers and nameplates there's no guarantee that they're all in saleable condition (and I've had plenty of duds from another transfer manufacturer). 

Overall, I was happy with his answers and I'm prepared to start using him again. I do question, though, as ever, how he can spend 30 minutes on the phone to me when all this could have been done in a few seconds by email, which the website says he has no time to answer. But then again, that phone call has got my business back, so that half hour spent reassuring a customer might pay dividends. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

He's way behind with orders; operating on his own; and can still find time for a 60+ minute chat?

Perhaps therein lies part of the problem?

CJI.

Agree.  All talk and no action perhaps.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Daddyman said:

I asked why he couldn't show automatic stock levels the way, say, Eileen's does (though I've been a victim of that recently) and he said he was quoted many thousands of pounds to install such a system.

He needs to shop around. Yes, you could, in theory, spend many thousands of pounds on such a system. But there are also such systems available for a few hundred.  And thats for showing "live" stock levels. If he simply indicated on the website which items were only available on back order, ie taking 3-6 months to be fulfilled etc,  which items were normally in stock and dispatched within, say 1-2 weeks, then that would go a long way towards solving the problem.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Might not be related but I've been building some Parkside kits recently and I notice the transfer sheets supplied have changed and no longer have any reference to Modelmasters.  Have Peco switched to an alternative supplier?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1