Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Links to my stuff (on RMWeb)

It occurred to me that my signature had grown somewhat clumsy, listing my layout threads but not anything else I have posted (which I might still want to easily find), so I wondered to myself “What if I created a thread which simply listed links to my pages, and then my signature simply referenced that page instead?”

But where to put such a thread?

“Modelling musings and miscellany” seemed the most obvious and natural place to have such a thing, so here it is!

(Thank you to the Mods!)

Steve S

LAYOUT LINKS

BLACKFORD BRIDGE

- an O gauge “micro” using my late father’s stock and buildings, as a tribute to him

BLACKFORD WHARF 

- inspired by the C&HPR and @Ruston‘s superb layout “White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam”, this is my fictional exchange sidings connecting to the above

BROADHAVEN

- the big one - a reimagining of Newhaven as a major link to the continent featuring a terminus with a train ferry - in OO!

BURNSTOW DOCK 

- a dockside layout inspired by Ipswich/Great Yarmouth

CASTLEBROOK SIDINGS 

- having purchased many (many) industrial locos, including five of the awesome Planet Industrial “Victory” tank locos, I feel the need for some ‘bigger’, generic exchange sidings to allow me to shuffle longer rakes of wagons about! As I am slowly accumulating stock suitable for both mineral traffic and dock traffic (grain, fish, fruit, bananas, general merchandise, ferry wagons, petrol and even cement etc) for different micros, this should allow me to ‘ring the changes’ with what industry the sidings are serving, and the geographical location. As stated above, they need to be generic… maybe even incorporate an obligatory (but expanded) Inglenook (everyone has to build one - it’s the law!)

DRS ENGINEERING LTD

- named after my late father’s initials rather than the train operating company, this is currently a foamboard baseboard awaiting further development after several false starts, but will be a small engineering company servicing locomotives and rolling stock

UNNAMED W&U MICRO

- I have a couple of tram locomotives and W&U tramcars, plus a small assortment of Eastern region motive power that cries out for a micro to run them upon. This will be that micro. As yet unnamed. And unplanned. But one to be made. Eventually. Honest.

WOODHEY QUAY 

- a rural, almost Colonel Stephens-like quayside layout heavily influenced by Wells-next-the-Sea (and the layouts of @NHY 581)

OTHER LINKS

Running In Loop - suggestions for a lightweight and easily moved/stored loop of track for running in locos

Train Ferry Project in 1:76 ... previously ... Two (or more) Heads Are Better Than One ... or ... Too late! That ship has sailed! - rambling thoughts upon modelling a train ferry in OO scale

Paired Nameplate Suggestions - ideas for the names for a pair of identical locos 

1:76 Kit for Class 66 - discussion of Atlas Models static Class 66 loco

Triang Big Big Train Track - Sunlight Degredation? - discussion of second hand plastic garden railway track

SM32 “Clogher Valley” style loco - info/ advice on scale drawings 

Birds Eye Containers - discussion re: refrigerated containers used in dedicated trains for Birds Eye

C&HPR Water Tenders - like it says on the tin!

Into and Out of Gradients - advice sought regarding starting and finishing sloping sections of track

Triang Blue Pullman - donor coaches/sources - detailing parts - as much as I can find about detailing the Triang Blue Pullman model

8 plank open ferry wagon in OO - information about modelling the ex-SR and BR ferry open wagons

Bachmann limited edition Class 46 loco “Ixion” - advice sought on this particular model and why selling so cheaply* on eBay        * at the time!

Triang/Novo Big Big Train remotoring - seeking advice upon changing the motor/power source

Hornby J83 locomotivediscussion upon the merits and otherwise of this model

Hornby Rebuilt Bulleids - Merchant Navy, West Country/Battle of Britain locos - queries and answers about these models

Re-motor a Hornby L&Y Pug 0-4-0 - exactly as it says on the tin

Missing - O gauge Ivatt 2-6-2 2P tank locomotive - trying to find a missing loco from my late father’s collection

DCC or not SC - that is the question (probably) - musings about the merits or otherwise of going DCC

“Best” RTR Class 47 loco model in OO - opinions sought - like it says on the tin

Multiple EMU formations - help requested - asking for prototype information

Connecting foamboard baseboards - advice sought

Gaugemaster Dockside Crane - merits and otherwise of new kit

Lima Wagonlits as “Night Ferry” sleeper car alternative (abandoned project) - like it says!

Triang Continental as “Night Ferry” sleeper car alternative (abandoned project) - like it says!

Mid train power for Triang Blue Pullman - discussion of merits of providing motorisation in the middle of the formation

1980s article - PLA system - "The Millwall Circle" help sought finding the above article

Perfume Factory - advice - like it says on the tin!

Heljan Class 07 - advice re: horns and couplings - like what it says!

Replacement wheels for Ratio 4 wheel coaches - advice and help sought

Murky waters… asking for advice for painting appropriate shades for dock water

GWR Centenary stock to trans channel sleeping coaches - a flight of fancy whilst waiting for You-Know-Who to produce the Wagon-Lits Type F coaches!

GWR Centenary stock - adding sliding vents to windows - asking if anyone produces kits/etches to “update” the stock into BR period condition

Bachmann 4CEP to 4BEP - feasibility of converting one to the other

Scalescenes PDF Default Print Size - discussion re: ensuring downloaded files print at 100%

Rendered finish on card models - seeking advice and methods to model render

Lifting Bridge - recreating the old Hornby/Pola model

Douefstein - from French loco to industrial shunter - a record of my attempts to “Anglify” an old Jouef diesel loco into something believably British

Suggestions as to causes of discolouration - asking advice about a damaged model for sale on eBay

Hornby LWB Van - can the ugly duckling be transformed into a swan? - discussion about improving the less-than-generic LWB van foistered upon modellers since the late 1960s by Hornby

Edited by SteveyDee68
The topic misled a few seeking GWR wagons

9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

It occurred to me that my signature had grown somewhat clumsy, listing most (but not all) of my threads, so I wondered to myself “What if I created a thread which simply listed links to my pages, and then my signature simply referenced that page instead?”

But where to put such a thread?
“Modelling musings and miscellany” seemed the most obvious and natural place to have such a thing, so here it is!

Or, rather, here it will be, once the Moderators say yay or nay and I add thread links into my post!

As the old maps used to say when the edge of the map makers’ knowledge was reached, “Here be monsters”

Steve S

Monsters, eh!? 😎

• RMweb Gold

ISTR a Monster was a particular sort of bogie van, possibly GWR. Your title will attract those who like such things. 

'Ere be dragons' is more familiar on the edge of olde maps. I do wonder if the community of Earby in Lancs calls its footie team thus. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR a Monster was a particular sort of bogie van, possibly GWR. Your title will attract those who like such things. 

'Ere be dragons' is more familiar on the edge of olde maps. I do wonder if the community of Earby in Lancs calls its footie team thus. 

1. Yes, I came in search of Swindon NPCCS. I feel slightly cheated.

2. In my bookshop, the volumes relating to pre-1914 warfare are on a shelf labelled 'Here Be Dragoons'

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• SteveyDee68 changed the title to Here be Dragons… (not GWR at all)

Apologies to anyone seeking GWR built vehicles - have changed title to stop any misunderstandings in future, with apologies to anyone disappointed to discover this thread is full of dragon-poop and not what they expected! 

MERRY XMAS!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

BLACKFORD WHARF- inspired by the C&HPR and @Ruston‘s superb layout “White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam”, this is my fictional exchange sidings connecting to the above 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/161152-blackford-wharf-was-castlebrook-sidings/

That reminds me that I ought to do something about replacing the lost photos on WP.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Apologies to anyone seeking GWR built vehicles - have changed title to stop any misunderstandings in future, with apologies to anyone disappointed to discover this thread is full of dragon-poop and not what they expected! 

MERRY XMAS!!

Exactly so that you should be apologising. The Dragon wagon was a LSWR one.

Drawings for them appeared in Railway Modeller 1990 April.

Corrected year.

Edited by kevinlms
Corrected Year
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

I've got Les Dawson on line 2, something about wanting his joke back!

Actually, the reference is quite serious, there was an article on a LSWR Dragon wagon, but I typed the year wrong. It's 1990, not 1980 as I originally stated. Drawing and article by Derek Fox.

But yes, Les would want a joke back - but where is his reference to his Mother in law?

• Like 2

• SteveyDee68 changed the title to Links to my stuff

Retitled again, due to my reference to “dragons” unwittingly referring to yet another wagon type!

I toyed with the idea of calling it “Layout Wormholes” but worried I might attract the attention of pest control officers or those suffering damage to their baseboards…

”Portals to Elsewhere” similarly had me worried … folk might think I was referring to the 1980s medical drama set in a hospital of the same name, or perhaps “portals” might turn out to be a type of brake van…

So a boring title but which does exactly what it says on the tin … “Links to my stuff (on RMWeb)”

Now, what’s the chances someone thinks it is a discussion on the merits of 3 link couplings versus tension locks?

To all, a very Happy New Year!

All the best

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Extra clarity!!
  • Funny 1

• SteveyDee68 changed the title to Links to my stuff (on RMWeb)

Links to stuff I m interested in…

And I’m going to use this page to put links to stuff I am interested in … because sometimes “following” a topic isn’t enough, especially when nobody posts on it for a while!!

LAYOUTS

next

IMPROVING MODELS

Triang L1 detailing - by @cabbie37

Triang L1 mods - by @longie

Hornby Freightliner flats - by @Darius43

FGA / FFA Freightliner Flats - by @Gibbo675

Lima UKF Palvans- adding a little variety - by @jonhall

Hornby VIX ferry vans - by @dasatcopthorne

Improving running of Bachmann Class 66 (and similar older diesel models)

next

PROTOTYPE INFO

Southern Railway Ferry Wagon Buffers

next

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 2