Model Rail Scotland 2023

ColinRae

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, MikeB said:

I suppose I have come to expect a  big presence from DCC Concepts at the big shows.

As with many other electronic component suppliers they have had supply issues which may have meant it wasn't right to have a big stand unless it could be backed up with stock. If they have supplied stockists (at the show) rather than retained stock for themselves then fair play to them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I thoroughly enjoyed my day in Glasgow.  Well done to the organisers.  One peculiarity of the hall is that there is no obvious circulation path around the stands.  To be clear, I'd much rather it was like it is rather than the sort of long and winding road you get in an Ikea store.  Anyway, I didn't stumble across Alloa until very near the end of my visit.  And what a fantastic model it is.  I think that Alloa was my favourite of the layouts, with Burntisland a close second.  But whatever happened to the Scottish Wedding Show, which always used to be at the SEC over the same weekend?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Legend said:

something on the move continuously .

This is something that I like to see on layouts. Layouts at shows you need to stand about waiting for something to happen, which I know is like trainspotting in real life but it barely keeps me interested, let alone the casual visitors, families with kids that I hope we are all wanting to be inspired by the layouts.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Camperdown said:

I thoroughly enjoyed my day in Glasgow.  Well done to the organisers.  One peculiarity of the hall is that there is no obvious circulation path around the stands.  To be clear, I'd much rather it was like it is rather than the sort of long and winding road you get in an Ikea store.  Anyway, I didn't stumble across Alloa until very near the end of my visit.  And what a fantastic model it is.  I think that Alloa was my favourite of the layouts, with Burntisland a close second.  But whatever happened to the Scottish Wedding Show, which always used to be at the SEC over the same weekend?

It was the weekend before! 

2 hours ago, Legend said:

It was the weekend before! 

Pity. I have long enjoyed the juxtaposition of the orange people with, er, us. Always liked to think that someone, somewhere, had a sense of humour although I’m sure it’s just chance.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

.....so thats where the b*gg*r disappeared to...... He should have been driving my train set!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Dave, You need a ball and chain to stop Clive wandering off 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Luke Piewalker said:

I enjoyed it.

Some good modelling.

Nearly disappeared in a cloud of lycra and sequins when I made the mistake of stopping for a second on my way to the hall and nearly got flattened by a squad of cheerleaders. Kudos to the cheerleader who had put on the full outfit in spite of being on crutches.

I can think of less interesting ways of being trampled (Celtic v Rangers for example!) 

Glad everyone has enjoyed the show. Thanks for all the great comments. 
Each year we have been increasing our video content, so for those that missed the show or those that maybe missed a layout we managed to capture 16 of the 50 layouts on our YouTube channel. 
please have a look and subscribe 

https://youtube.com/@ModelRailScotlandTV

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ColinRae said:

Each year we have been increasing our video content, so for those that missed the show or those that maybe missed a layout we managed to capture 16 of the 50 layouts on our YouTube channel. 
please have a look and subscribe 

https://youtube.com/@ModelRailScotlandTV

Who were the prize winners , Colin?

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Who were the prize winners , Colin?

The prize winners for 2023 were 

Visiting layouts 3rd Place Farmers Drove, 2nd Place Lammermuir, 1st Place Copper wort. 

Association layouts 3rd Place Alloa, 2nd Place Lockerbie, 1st Place Burntisland 1883. 

Best in Show North Cornwall Brewery. 

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bruced said:

The prize winners for 2023 were 

Visiting layouts 3rd Place Farmers Drove, 2nd Place Lammermuir, 1st Place Copper wort. 

Association layouts 3rd Place Alloa, 2nd Place Lockerbie, 1st Place Burntisland 1883. 

Best in Show North Cornwall Brewery. 

Bruce

Astonished Deadmans Lane not there . it was usually two deep looking at it while I was there . But well done my friends at Gourock on Lammermuir getting 2nd 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColinRae said:

Thanks to you and everyone else involved for another great show. The minute's silence on Friday for Ukraine was a nice touch. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just want to say a massive thanks to everyone involved with putting on a fantastic 3 day show. Well worth a weekend spent staying in Glasgow. 
Great selection of layouts to spend time watching trains go by. The show is always an opportunity to catch up with people I probably only see once or twice a year so being there for a couple days meant there was no rush to get round the whole show in single day before having to head back down south. 
Also managed to visit the Riverside museum this year and can throughly recommend it!  
Looking forward to Model Rail Scotland 2024!

Cheers. 
Bill. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Had a great time on the Sunday. Nearly spoke to Clive. I thought "Is that Clive?" then decided it wasn't, walked away, then realised it was, by which time the moment had gone.

Managed to confuse a Deadman's Lane operator as he left the lift in the hotel and I told him I'd see him Sunday, and he had no idea who I was, as I had no idea who he was.

Sunday came and I explained to him why I said what I did and ended up having a long and interesting chat with Spike.

Managed to buy some good stuff, learned how to improve my handbuilt points and how to make trees without spending a fortune.

Great to see many layouts. This is my second trip to Glasgow show, and definitely intend to go again.

Edited by 96701
Correction to tryping.
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

Another good show with some great layouts but I'd reiterate some previous views that the the absence of Squires and other small traders was a big loss in terms of what materials were available at the show. I went with a shopping list that included paint, glue, and electrical switches but gave up on the majority of it. I bought it online after the show, a somewhat odd situation on reflection. Do the traders pay to attend the show? I guess they do? Perhaps the rent on a venue like the SEC means that the profit margins of glue and paint don't add up, but they do when selling a brand new loco for several hundred pounds? It would explain the dozen or so box shifters selling the same stock at pretty much the same price. 

• Like 1

Thanks to Colin and all the organisers for a great show. We thoroughly enjoyed the weekend meeting visitors and talking about model railways.

It was great to see that the show was well supported.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to visit our stand and say hello. 

We are very much looking forward to next year's show.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Ian and the team at model Rail Scotland for a great show.

Deadmans Lane ran pretty well for the three days - with one "minor" incident, courtesy of a signalman..... (you know who you are).

Thankfully, I didn't need the services of their First Aid again either.

We had a great journey home Sunday night and DL was all packed away and we were home for 1030pm.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Callander - ScotRail OO Gauge said:

Great show this year. Here’s some of my personal favourite photos:

D37045FF-F61A-4620-BAAB-D7E8A7E9A83E.jpeg

E0C2ED22-64A5-48FB-BF7B-294DE5C2CC50.jpeg

A06778A9-F496-401D-AF08-CC7097C23BF3.jpeg

569F8C06-3D7C-4C03-90CF-55EA089C37BC.jpeg

867BAAB9-DF9F-4F65-87C9-BCCB11DBC5FE.jpeg

Thanks for those. First time I've seen a Bullion Coach on a layout, except one of  mine, (unpainted and years ago before moving it on).

Busy scenes with lots to look at in an area I have not visited for decades.

Phil

• Like 2