Model Rail Scotland 2023

ColinRae

2 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Might well have been Mick. I was there helping on a society stand and it was definitely quieter than other years. And Friday is generally felt to be the big shopping day as there are few families it being a school day, so the crowd are more 'hardcore' modellers who will be likely to spend more. And of course this year with *gestures vaguely to everything*  people will be spending less, even if they still attend the show. 

HI All

Are you surprised last year was quieter ?  Masks and Covid passports !!!!!

The show still went ahead and was a success , and looking at the plans for this  year there's no great empty spaces .

Trade make their own decisions and rails have pulled all shows Not just Modelrail Scotland.

Regards Arran

Edited by arran
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

Yet I would only have been willing to go to a show that did insist on mask wear by all at this time last year...

Wasn't just the mask requirement.  More significant was the requirement for a Scottish Government covid pass to enter the venue of the 2022 show which I did not yet have at the time.    If it was only masks I would have been OK with it.  Later in 2022 my wife and I flew to Germany with Lufthansa where we were required to wear FFP3 masks on the flights and also on trains and trams while in Germany.  Not a problem to do so.

Win Flying Scotsman Train Sets

The centenary of Flying Scotsman, the most famous locomotive in history, is marked in a special series of events at the Model Rail Scotland show at the SEC in Glasgow on February 24th, 25th and 26th.

The 24th February in particular marks 100 years since Flying Scotsman entered service.

So what better way to celebrate than to join us at the SEC in Glasgow for Model Rail Scotland and everyone has 2 chances to win a flying Scotsman Train set courtesy of Hornby Model Railways

Here how to enter.

1 - All online ticket sales past and future for our 2023 show will be automatically entered into a free prize draw to take place on Monday 27th Feb 2023. All tickets (paper and E Tickets) will be entered into this prize draw.

You can still purchase E Tickets for our event here https://modelrail-scotland.co.uk/model-rail-scotland-2023-buy-tickets/

2 - All visitors to the 2023 event can enter a prize draw for another Flying Scotsman trains set at the Hornby Stand A22.

Good Luck everyone and we all hope you enjoy the show

r1255m_1.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/02/2023 at 19:18, ColinRae said:

As in Previous years a bus link is provided from Glasgow Queen Street & Glasgow Central to the SEC and our event.

Timetable below - please keep an eye on socials during the event for any amendments to the timetable

image.png.560bad6d69b310f9475dd282ccc91dec.png

Bit confused by this one.  I assume "George Square (Waxy's)" is somewhere near Waxy O'Connor's in Dundas Lane/West George Street.   Does anybody know exactly where the bus stop is?

• Agree 1

On 18/02/2023 at 11:44, Camperdown said:

Bit confused by this one.  I assume "George Square (Waxy's)" is somewhere near Waxy O'Connor's in Dundas Lane/West George Street.   Does anybody know exactly where the bus stop is?

Outside Waxy’s on the short stretch of West George St close to where the airport bus stops, presumably.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2023 at 19:29, cessna152towser said:

Wasn't just the mask requirement.  More significant was the requirement for a Scottish Government covid pass to enter the venue of the 2022 show which I did not yet have at the time.    If it was only masks I would have been OK with it.  Later in 2022 my wife and I flew to Germany with Lufthansa where we were required to wear FFP3 masks on the flights and also on trains and trams while in Germany.  Not a problem to do so.

Not sure what the problem obtaining the pass was - all you had to do was take a negative test and register it in the Scottish Government app. 

As it happens, despite me having the pass last year, I was never asked to show it, nor was anyone else. Did the regulations change at the last minute?

16 hours ago, Craig Watson said:

Due to a late withdrawal of one of the booked layouts I'll now be exhibiting my O gauge layout Glasshouse Loan at the show on stand B32.

Hopefully we'll see you there.
313023296_422900180047734_344867412044199544_n.jpg.39f04b3260a0e7cdc54324c36eb76dde.jpg

316179630_433940765610342_8885249031846823894_n.jpg.1075c95c165c746e2e2c963b69d839e3.jpg

315539569_433993985605020_9026352699034651270_n.jpg.73c1ec1f78f23aa2feeb8ad25d2e1ec6.jpg

322954522_719750816172996_156782151755373588_n.jpg.7e20d03c9a8179bfbd19f0bb115fae6a.jpg

Well done for standing in at such short notice . one of the benefits of have a good strong Association.

Regards Arran

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, JohnR said:

Not sure what the problem obtaining the pass was - all you had to do was take a negative test and register it in the Scottish Government app.

Perhaps the Scottish Gov't app couldn't be used as the users address was not in Scotland.  The reverse situation existed in that I couldn't enrol in the English (& Welsh?) app as my address was outside the required area.  It was of course all driven by crazy politics, which is the way of the world ATM sadly.

Edited by 55020

• RMweb Premium
On 23/02/2023 at 10:07, LaGrange said:

More Celts are travelling.......

........About 25,000 of them to Hampden Park on Sunday afternoon.  Glasgow could be, er, shall we say busy, by about 5pm.

Edited by Torper

My annual pilgrimage on Friday. Another great show and a big thank you to the organisers plus everyone else involved such in a huge undertaking. Although some of the established traders weren’t there, it was good to see some of the newer companies (Westhill Wagon Works, KMS Railtech) having a bigger presence. Not that it’s just a shopping trip, the layouts as ever were first rate.  Alloa remains my favourite!

Cheers,

’152

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My first attendance at a model railway show since Glasgow in February 2020.   As Glasgow is a return to the area where I was born and raised, family commitments meant not entering the show until 3:30 in the afternoon, but on the plus side, later on the Friday is one of the quieter times.  Even so, it was not easy finding a space next to the barrier at Deadman's Lane which was an undoubted highlight along with Burntisland, both with plenty of activity.  

52710343785_456696f2fb_o.jpg

52709408582_d09086235e_o.jpg

52709927796_d8a8a592b3_o.jpg

52709407362_5b62927f97_o.jpg

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be few comments, so I'll add my observations.

I arrived about 1100 on Friday, and my first reaction was "lots of people, it's busy". Back to pre-covid times, although the virus is still prevalent.

There seemed to be a good selection of traders, although the absence of Squires meant limited opportunities to purchase various bits and pieces that are uneconomical to buy on mail order.  There was a good selection of layouts, including the outstanding Alloa and Burntisland, plus some I'd not seen before. The Irish layout was an interesting and different version of a rural station.  Thanks also to the folks on Glasshouse Loan, who helped me decide on baseboards for my future Om layout.
It was good to see all the major UK prototype manufacturers and two of the four major UK magazines present.  I was surprised that DCC Concepts bothered to turn up - their table and a poster must win the prize for minimalist presence.
The new items announced from Cavalex and Accurascale were welcome but I’ve seen no mention of the new items from Peco, with laser cut buildings based on the West Highland and somewhere down in Englandshire.

So thanks to the organisers and exhibitors for a very good show,

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MikeB said:

I was surprised that DCC Concepts bothered to turn up - their table and a poster must win the prize for minimalist presence.

I think DCC Concepts had several traders supporting them including one with their automated track set on display - so they themselves would not need to bring the big stand.

Last year I found that I got better prices for DCC Concepts stuff from the other traders over the DCC Concepts stand so perhaps they felt it was better to just be present and let the traders promote and sell their stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Last year I found that I got better prices for DCC Concepts stuff from the other traders over the DCC Concepts stand

Gaugemaster's FAQs used to state that they didn't offer discounts for direct sales because it was unfair to undercut their dealer network. I don't know if DCCC's policy is deliberate or for the same reasons, but if if is then it's an interesting contrast with some (one ?) RTR manufacturers. 

I was there between 11 and 2 on the Friday, well worth the 12 hour round trip from Yorkshire. CrossCountry, Scotrail and LNER were all on time to the minute which helped. Noticeably busier than last year which has to be a positive.  Burntisland, Alloa and Deadman's Lane were my stand out favourites, good to meet a couple of familiar faces and be introduced to a couple of new ones. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MikeB said:

......no mention of the new items from Peco, with laser cut buildings based on the West Highland and somewhere down in Englandshire..........

Now that is very interesting news. I see Peco absentmindedly made a comment on social media a couple of days ago and an Instagram post last night, but first I'd heard of it. Hopefully there will be clearer pics over the next few days.

Think the other buildings are Camerton?

Edited by slow8dirty
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, slow8dirty said:

Now that is very interesting news. I see Peco absentmindedly made a comment on social media a couple of days ago and an Instagram post last night, but first I'd heard of it. Hopefully there will be clearer pics over the next few days.

Think the other buildings are Camerton?

332704011_1245081049419468_6996845762433

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

My first visit, and I was impressed!  To avoid a long day out from York, I was able to stay with relatives near Lanark and on Saturday it was an easy train ride from there, changing at Cambuslang.

It seemed to be an excellent venue, with the stalls well laid out for good circulation.  I don’t know whether the numbers were similar to previous years but it never seemed too crowded.  There were a lot of very good layouts; for me I think Alloa, Burntisland, Lockerbie and Hyndford stood out (I was pleased I’d recognised the station building!).

The ratio of layouts to traders seemed good, although there didn’t seem to be many selling materials etc.  Although I was tempted by a Hornby J15 at a very good price, the only money I spent was on some West Hill couplings for a friend!  As I didn’t have to meet my relatives for fish and chips in Lanark until 6, I spent a lot of the afternoon chatting with @Clive Mortimoreand watching the trains roll by on Alloa, before going for the train back.  Changed at Central this time, in order to admire the architecture!

Will go again next year if similar accommodation is forthcoming.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Ref the criticism of DCC Concepts. A rather brusque and unfair comment really isn't it?

The opportunity to meet and chat with folk that are usually quite a long way from the DCC C base, is worth the 'effort'. Criticising it is missing the point of them making contact with others, both Traders and potential Customers.  It is probably quite a clever bit of thinking by the Team there, who are really decent people.

Otherwise, thanks for the pics and comments from others.

I've only been to the Glasgow Show once in the early 90s, when helping with Gaugemaster/The Engine Shed as a Driver/ Roady and sort of Attendant on the Continental layout they used back then. I enjoyed it but it was totally knackering and I was so much younger and fitter back then as well.

I might try to go next year too, having read Steve's (31A) comments.

I have relatives in the area but wouldn't stay with them....far too crowded. There must be a Hotel on the Docks Area?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ref the criticism of DCC Concepts. A rather brusque and unfair comment really isn't it?

The opportunity to meet and chat with folk that are usually quite a long way from the DCC C base, is worth the 'effort'. Criticising it is missing the point of them making contact with others, both Traders and potential Customers.  It is probably quite a clever bit of thinking by the Team there, who are really decent people.

Otherwise, thanks for the pics and comments from others.

I've only been to the Glasgow Show once in the early 90s, when helping with Gaugemaster/The Engine Shed as a Driver/ Roady and sort of Attendant on the Continental layout they used back then. I enjoyed it but it was totally knackering and I was so much younger and fitter back then as well.

I might try to go next year too, having read Steve's (31A) comments.

I have relatives in the area but wouldn't stay with them....far too crowded. There must be a Hotel on the Docks Area?

Phil

Sorry if I offended anybody.  I suppose I have come to expect a  big presence from DCC Concepts at the big shows.  Although they made the effort to attend and talk to people, I thought that DCC Concepts could have had a few items on display, even if only their items that were on special offer at the show from their dealers, to attact people to their stand.

Yes, there are at least five hotels close to the venue (ie within 5 minutes walk).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Great exhibition . Well done AMRSS .  I attended Friday and Saturday roughly 11 to 3 . Easily accessible to me by train from Bishopton with a change at Glasgow Central low level . A far better solution to getting there than paying SEC parking charges ! 

Was very busy on Friday , I think what is traditionally the enthusiasts day , with lots of men of a certain age , me included, laying siege to the stalls looking for a bargain !  Saturday also busy but with a lot more families .

I thought Deadman’s Lane was the stand out layout . Lots of action , very professionally run , with something on the move continuously .

A surprise for me was Bristol Avon Bridge . Originally I though , can’t see much here , as it’s part of the trainshed of Temple Meads and sight lines to the trains are either side of it , but as I watched I appreciated the cleverness of it . It felt like being a trainspotter again catching a glimpse of locos passing through the station . In particular looking through the side of the building watching an HST slowly draw to a halt then depart again . Really good stuff . 

Another  surprise as it not usually my thing was Four Feather Falls 7mm narrow gauge Western , looked like Denver &Rio Grande  with lots of interesting stock on the lower level and a Shay working the mining line on top . Really fascinating watching the movement of the loco , but the whole layout was absorbing . 

Lots  of other good stuff of course Alloa , Burntisland . A really nice BLS rolling motorway type layout in N . A roundy roundy with interesting stock . Bishopton , of course , are always popular with their large layout featuring lots of moving buses . 

Nice  to see the manufacturers there . Good chats with Cavalex , Accurascale ( where’s my 313/314/315 - come on you know it makes sense) and Revolution . Had a good look at the Hornby stand at TT:120 . It really does look nice , with the new Staniers on display . Lovely .  I don’t know though , what the exhibition drove home was the huge support to existing scales , particularly OO . Can TT get there ? Still excited about it but I must admit got more excited when I found out that Peco introducing West Highland station in OO 

A couple of really nice days . Thoroughly enjoyed it . Enthused and recharged 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1