Hornby 2023 - catalogue and couplings

AY Mod

On 10/01/2023 at 09:38, Mike Harvey said:

Not quite sure why the vacuum brake couplers require Air Raid Precautions.

Simon and Garfunkel - 'Arpil, come she will'

Hornby/SK/whoever was never very good at proof-reading the catalogues. If that's the only transgression then they will have done very well this year.

• Funny 1

18 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

Thank you! 😁 I might head over to Tesco then! Only I have found Just with online orders of the catalogues in the past. They can arrive mid to late January. Not that I'm complaining! It's just with that sometimes they can arrive with the spine damaged.

And last year mine didn't arrive - someone in Royal Mail clearly felt that they could use it more than me. Fortunately Key Publishing were very good and sent a replacement that did arrive. Perhaps it should be despatched in a plain brown envelope?

• RMweb Premium

Well I did take a trip out to Tescos . Plenty of new Hornby Mags but no catalogues . There was even a ducket saying special offer on Hornby Mag and Catalogue if bought together, but it was empty .  So either there's been a run on the offer and they sold out of catalogues or they haven't received the catalogues yet .   I've just ordered mine from key direct 

https://shop.keypublishing.com/products/Hornby-catalogue-bundle-2023?_pos=2&_sid=e7f13c136&_ss=r

• Thanks 1

On 10/01/2023 at 20:48, Downer said:

Some dimensions would also be nice.

The picture in the first post shows a dimension for the 'vacuum pipe' versions, presumably the length 

On 11/01/2023 at 15:55, adb968008 said:

So its a solution that creates its own visual problem.

Thats the kind of solution that presents opportunity.. somebody else will overcome this for them.

Most vacuum braked coaches were also steam heated, and 1st gen. DMUs did have a twin pipe vacuum system.

In both cases though the two pipes crossed over each other.

Still look a million miles better than tension locks though, will probably give them a try

On 11/01/2023 at 16:40, frobisher said:

The dummy buckeyes are rather nice, and AS have just launched their ones based off of dummy Delner couplings which won't be compatible 

Well, that's prototypical then

Edited by Ken.W
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

On 13/01/2023 at 10:21, Legend said:

Well that was impressive . Ordered the catalogue and Hornby Magazine from Key Wed night and its just arrived Friday morning !

Mine arrived on Friday morning while I was out but I had to walk down to the Royal Mail sorting office in the rain on Saturday because I had a card saying that it was too big for my letterbox. It wasn't too big on the last two years and my letterbox is still the same size.

• Funny 3

3 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

Mine arrived on Friday morning while I was out but I had to walk down to the Royal Mail sorting office in the rain on Saturday because I had a card saying that it was too big for my letterbox. It wasn't too big on the last two years and my letterbox is still the same size.

Mine arrived on Saturday in a plain white jiffy bag, thank you Key Publishing for a quick turnaround. The catalogue definitely is chunkier this year, but it did fit through our 'British Standard' hole in't door. Haven't started to read it in detail yet though...

Edited by Pint of Adnams
It's my fousandf post - happy 2023!
  • Like 2

Noticed the Hornby catalogue in the local Tesco megastore on Saturday, but didn't see anything about the special offer. Anyhow, I'd ordered a copy from Key with the subscriber discount on Friday* so it ought to turn up sometime this coming week!

* Pushing my luck, eh? 🤪

Edited by Hroth
Tidy up
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

it’s all these A3 and A4 Pacific’s !  There does seem to be a lot of them in the catalogue 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Clearly Hornby sells a lot of Flying Scotsmans otherwise they wouldn’t continue to be produced in such large numbers. It’s yet another example of my being at odds with the market. The thing is that, from my point of view, I have an ancient Flying Scotsman and feel no compulsion to replace it. However, other A1s and A3s would tempt me so long as Hornby sorted out the paint jobs and did something sensible about the trailing wheels. One of the very first two A1s in GNR livery would be very attractive and so would a BR A3 with double chimney and blinkers. A model of Papyrus, which has its own claim to fame, would tempt as well. Of course, all of them would depend on the outward flow of funds for other temptations, not least the B17/5.

• Like 2

Coaches shouldn't be coupled together only with pipes. That not only looks ridiculous, ...it is ridiculous..

Where is the actual coupling ?

Surely vacuum and heating pipes etc, should be an additional, non-functioning accessory to complement a replica coupler type (e.g. Buckeye) ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Coaches shouldn't be coupled together only with pipes. That not only looks ridiculous, ...it is ridiculous..

Where is the actual coupling ?

Surely vacuum and heating pipes etc, should be an additional, non-functioning accessory to complement a replica coupler type (e.g. Buckeye) ?

Well, it looks better than the tension locks, which I think is the whole point

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, HExpressD said:

Well, it looks better than the tension locks, which I think is the whole point

Anything would look better than tension locks, but this looks a bit half baked compared with the Hornby Buckeye version and the new range of couplers from Accurascale.

5 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Anything would look better than tension locks, but this looks a bit half baked compared with the Hornby Buckeye version and the new range of couplers from Accurascale.

The NEM pocket is below the buffer beam where the pipes hang down, buckeyes don't look right at this height.

• Like 1

I don't know whether it is just me but I,m rather underwhelmed by the photo on the cover of the catalogue. A far cry from the days when it was a Cuneo picture. Maybe a bit of retro needs applying to it, there are a a number of good railway artists that surely could be used ?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

I don't know whether it is just me but I,m rather underwhelmed by the photo on the cover of the catalogue. A far cry from the days when it was a Cuneo picture. Maybe a bit of retro needs applying to it, there are a a number of good railway artists that surely could be used ?

I think its time for a revamp of the whole thing . Must have had the same format for 15-20 years now(except 2016). 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Anything but the Flying Moneypit!

It would have been more appropriate to have an exciting illustration of a B17/5 at speed with The East Anglian!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Anything but the Flying Moneypit!

It would have been more appropriate to have an exciting illustration of a B17/5 at speed with The East Anglian!

Unless you want to shift a lot to the more general public. Love it or not, Scotsman is popular enough to get people off their sofa to clutter up the lineside to watch it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

Unless you want to shift a lot to the more general public. Love it or not, Scotsman is popular enough to get people off their sofa to clutter up the lineside to watch it.

I'd not dispute that the Scotsman (the loco, not the newspaper...) has been ferociously sold to the public* over the last decade or more by the NRM**.  However, it could be considered a matter for dispute that Hornby would flog more 2023 catalogues by having a picture of its nameplate on the catalogue cover, rather than their key new tooling steam loco!

* Iconic?  Ha!!!

** Who have to recoup considerable repair, maintenance and running costs...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

I'd not dispute that the Scotsman (the loco, not the newspaper...) has been ferociously sold to the public*

Ferociously, and very succefully sold to the public. Name me another loco that would get so many non-enthusiasts off their backsides to a lineside.

On that basis, I get why they put the nameplate on the cover rather than a train most people will never have heard of. Commerical realities win out I'm afraid.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Legend said:

I think its time for a revamp of the whole thing . Must have had the same format for 15-20 years now(except 2016). 

I think 2005/6/7 was the last difference. They were landscape oriented Catalogues. 2008 onwards has been portrait oriented. I liked the landscape ones because the rolling stock images were bigger. 

• Like 2

With regards the catalogue, if you get your Hornby Magazine by subscription, Key Publishing are/were offering a £4 discount on the catalogue price (so £6.99 inc. P&P). I received the catalogue almost by return, the magazine has yet to arrive - which is annoying when you can see it in the shops for sale.  I have had this happen with the magazine before, a quick call to Key Publishing and a copy was in the post.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1