Hornby 2023 - catalogue and couplings

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Do you get four pairs of couplings in a pack or three pairs?  At almost £16 a pack the price per pair is quite high.

The good thing is that the plastic won’t be that brittle type used by West Hill Wagon Works so they won’t snap off in the NEM pockets.  

The Buckeye ones look good.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Do you get four pairs of couplings in a pack or three pairs?  At almost £16 a pack the price per pair is quite high.

The good thing is that the plastic won’t be that brittle type used by West Hill Wagon Works so they won’t snap off in the NEM pockets.  

The Buckeye ones look good.

Cheers

Darius

8 pairs, 16 in total

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I had pairs of these provided with a couple of catering vehicles bought last year. I haven't tested extensively, but they work fine so far. In fact one pair is now in my Bachmann BR(S) set 69! How many vehicles would remain coupled using these throughout a train I know not - but modern stock is relatively effortless to move so maybe quite a lot. I would buy more.

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Would be nice if they included some pictures that revealed what they actually look like.

The views given don't show anything looking like a vacuum pipe.

Some dimensions would also be nice.

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Never seen vaccuum pipes that look like that.

not seen airpipes like either, in the same vein.

why twin pipes, is because one magnet at that size isnt strong enough ?

Because with a single magnet means you have a polarised system with +/- couplings that need to be in the right order in the train.

Earlier I rang WHSmith and asked if the Hornby 2023 catalogue 69th edition had arrived in stick yet. The assistant who I spoke to said I'll go and check and said something really quick but he mentioned magazine and the signal went. 😶🙄😳🤣 so I am now none the wiser if the catalogue is actually in stock and available with retailers now! 🤣🤣 

• Friendly/supportive 1

The Hornby Magazine video mentioned that Key Publishing are offering the February Hornby Magazine and the catalogue together but I could not see anything on the Key Publishing website. The video also said that the offer is available at Tesco and WH Smith but my local WH Smith has not known anything about the offer in previous years so I have obtained them directly through Key Publishing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

The Hornby Magazine video mentioned that Key Publishing are offering the February Hornby Magazine and the catalogue together but I could not see anything on the Key Publishing website. The video also said that the offer is available at Tesco and WH Smith but my local WH Smith has not known anything about the offer in previous years so I have obtained them directly through Key Publishing.

Available here

https://shop.keypublishing.com/products/Hornby-catalogue-bundle-2023?_pos=2&_sid=e7f13c136&_ss=r

• Thanks 2

• AY Mod changed the title to Hornby 2023 - catalogue and couplings
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, frobisher said:

Because with a single magnet means you have a polarised system with +/- couplings that need to be in the right order in the train.

So its a solution that creates its own visual problem.

Thats the kind of solution that presents opportunity.. somebody else will overcome this for them.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RyanN91 said:

Earlier I rang WHSmith and asked if the Hornby 2023 catalogue 69th edition had arrived in stick yet. The assistant who I spoke to said I'll go and check and said something really quick but he mentioned magazine and the signal went. 😶🙄😳🤣 so I am now none the wiser if the catalogue is actually in stock and available with retailers now! 🤣🤣 

Ryan

I believe that the Hornby Magazine and Catalogue are available from today in larger Tesco stores .  In the Hornby Mag YouTube review it was mentioned that WHSmith would have the offer of Hornby Mag and Catalogue for a two week period from 19/01/23. Not sure why its later but that might be why no one in WHS knows about it .

You can order direct from KeyModelWorld . Previous experience on bookazines shows they process orders pretty quickly 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

So its a solution that creates its own visual problem.

Thats the kind of solution that presents opportunity.. somebody else will overcome this for them.

Ye cannae break the laws of physics...

I dunno though, the Hornby version of this is one of the neater solutions, and not being 3D printed is a little more robust.  The dummy buckeyes are rather nice, and AS have just launched their ones based off of dummy Delner couplings which won't be compatible but are rather gorgeous.

37 minutes ago, Legend said:

Ryan

I believe that the Hornby Magazine and Catalogue are available from today in larger Tesco stores .  In the Hornby Mag YouTube review it was mentioned that WHSmith would have the offer of Hornby Mag and Catalogue for a two week period from 19/01/23. Not sure why its later but that might be why no one in WHS knows about it .

You can order direct from KeyModelWorld . Previous experience on bookazines shows they process orders pretty quickly 

Thank you! 😁 I might head over to Tesco then! Only I have found Just with online orders of the catalogues in the past. They can arrive mid to late January. Not that I'm complaining! It's just with that sometimes they can arrive with the spine damaged.

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Never seen vaccuum pipes that look like that.

not seen airpipes like either, in the same vein.

why twin pipes, is because one magnet at that size isnt strong enough ?

Steam heat pipe? Replace them with tension locks in summer.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2