KR Models business model etc

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

In the case of DJM he seemed to announce things based on nothing more than having an idea and a few people agreeing it would be quite splendid. Some of them were huge, expensive projects like the APT. He very quickly ended up with a project list that would have challenged a company like Hornby or Bachmann, never mind a one man band. That would have been bad enough, but he was clearly incompetent to run a business (I don't use the word as a pejorative, he was incompetent), the whole thing was a train crash in slow motion. 

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2023 at 20:18, chris p bacon said:

The failure was in purchasing the CADS from the receiver of DJM without actually checking that it would include the tooling which was owned by the factory.

The factory had offered the part completed DJM product to several parties.

Don't forget that in the case of some CADs, eg, the 'King',  there was no tooling anyway because the factories had not been prepared to get involved in spending the money on that work until they had been paid to settle  outstanding invoices.   Reportedly DJM didn't own any tooling because it had not been paid for so the factory effectively still owned it and was at liberty to dispose of it.  That only applied to DJM tooling - Kernow's had been paid for by them and, as far as I understand things, the same applied in the case of Hattons in respect of the 14XX tooling.

Some of the CADs (I don't think all) were DJM assets which the liquidators would no doubt do their best to dispose of to try to get in some money.  But the CADs aren't worth anything if someone else owns what tools actually exist or are partially complete.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/01/2023 at 14:37, woodenhead said:

RevolutioN continue to develop models in N - the class 128 is due this year, there is a class 120 dmu in development, the class 59, the class 175 and a class 313/314 not to mention wagons and a working 1938 underground train

Whilst we don't get the volume and choice of OO, its fair to say we do have some models coming before they exist in RTR OO and that there is certainly development within the scale, just a lack of coaches.

Yup  the 313/314 and 120 would go down very well in OO but are maybe not KR subjects . Now a nice Glasgow Blue Train as a follow up to their 4DD  (I always though DD was beer !)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yup  the 313/314 and 120 would go down very well in OO but are maybe not KR subjects . Now a nice Glasgow Blue Train as a follow up to their 4DD  (I always though DD was beer !)

A 303 or a 506 would be something for KR Models I think, it's those niche items that enough people will buy but not the mass appeal of a big diesel class or express steam loco.

Given Keith Revel's Northwest UK background, perhaps the 506 or one of the LMS Mersey electrics next.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, woodenhead said:

A 303 or a 506 would be something for KR Models I think, it's those niche items that enough people will buy but not the mass appeal of a big diesel class or express steam loco.

Given Keith Revel's Northwest UK background, perhaps the 506 or one of the LMS Mersey electrics next.

I’d rather someone capable do the 303 and not create a “it’s near enough” model. 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2023 at 09:13, DavidH said:

Has anyone done any research on modelling forums to find out how many posts are required before any given topic turns into a wishlist?

A railway version of Godwin's Law

If it doesn't become a wishlist, it'll either become a topic about driving standards, or Hornby's "A Model World"........

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

If it doesn't become a wishlist, it'll either become a topic about driving standards, or Hornby's "A Model World"........

Or reasons not to buy things.

Or a meta discussion about the natural direction of threads on rmweb.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Palbrick

Hunslet BoBo

DHP1

Shay

Iron Ore Torpedo wagon

now all available via Rails.

Consetts, GT3, Leader also available as before.

£180 for an iron ore torpedo DCC fitted , £160 for static…

i’m sticking wiith my old Lima one at that price !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

On 19/01/2023 at 22:23, adb968008 said:

£180 for an iron ore torpedo DCC fitted , £160 for static…

i’m sticking wiith my old Lima one at that price !

KR website showing £133 or £150 for the torpedo (no idea if with or without VAT) plus £23 (WTF) for P&P

i was interested in these but seriously, what are they thinking. I’ll stick with increasing my fleet of MGRs, MDVs and hotch-potch of China clay wagons.

I’m Out.

52 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

KR website showing £133 or £150 for the torpedo (no idea if with or without VAT) plus £23 (WTF) for P&P

i was interested in these but seriously, what are they thinking. I’ll stick with increasing my fleet of MGRs, MDVs and hotch-potch of China clay wagons.

I’m Out.

Price is for a PAIR of wagons.

Website default seems for Canadian sales. If you update your location (in the cart) it changes to UK pricing (gross) and reduces the p&p to £4.50. The VAT amount is also shown separately.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Fishoutofwater said:

Price is for a PAIR of wagons.

Website default seems for Canadian sales. If you update your location (in the cart) it changes to UK pricing (gross) and reduces the p&p to £4.50. The VAT amount is also shown separately.

Hmm, OK. £184.50 for two torpedoes. £135 for 6 A/C HAAs or £202 for 9.

I’ll stick with coal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

Hmm, OK. £184.50 for two torpedoes. £135 for 6 A/C HAAs or £202 for 9.

I’ll stick with coal.

Or, if we compare something closer in size, £160 for a pair of Accurascale KUAs v £164.50 for a pair of non-DCC torpedoes. 

Not so different at that point?

Roy

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Or, if we compare something closer in size, £160 for a pair of Accurascale KUAs v £164.50 for a pair of non-DCC torpedoes. 

Not so different at that point?

Roy

Fair play. I’d forgotten about those so comparable on price. Quality yet to be seen but I take back my earlier post.

I’ll hop back on the fence for now.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...

To be fair my credit card will be getting a little heated once my A/S preorders start rolling in. I just need to keep up with the repayments 😳 I do wish KR every success though and I'm hoping they do a second run of the 4DD as I'll sign up for one then. If I like what I see. I liked the ES at Warley but I do appreciate there might be more work needed as yet. I'm definitely open to buying models from them though  

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

• RMweb Premium

The thing that I don’t understand is the positively bizarre choice of prototypes and the fact that people are prepared shell out for them. A 4DD when nobody’s done a dinky die 4SUB. I would guess if the did a SUB and possibly a 4COR they would have made more profit than from all the rest of the junk.

Roger

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If he sticks to obscure prototypes, there's much less risk that he'll find himself in direct competition with one of the big boys.

Which is why their Class 40 EoI announcement is so bizarre... 

I'm in for a Leader and a 4DD precisely because they are obscure, but I probably would go elsewhere for a Class 40...

• Like 2
  • Agree 5