RMweb

Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

With regard to the 'smoke' effects on the models demonstrated on this most recent programme, my view is that this is all very well, but I just don't think anyone is going to be able to replicate the dense clouds of exhaust steam that you see coming from the chimney of a steam loco working hard on a cold day (and which is such a characteristic of steam operation).

And, if you could, you would need to wear breathing apparatus in the railway room…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

21 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I did wonder if it is vaping technology that's making smoke units more feasible. They do produce large clouds of vapour and I saw on one of her videos Kathy Millat using one with a non nicotine charge to generate a morning mist effect to photograph or film one of her dioramas. Though most "vape juice" (E-liquid) consists of  vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, nicotine (optional), and artificial flavouring (none of which I particularly fancy breathing) there are "water based"  versions that include about 30% of distilled water. I'm wondering whether the Hornby unit uses water alone. 

The innards themselves are available for a few quid from eBay. I'm currently playing with one using just water and it'd look quite good for drain cocks and safety valves but would need VG for smoke, which would eventually mean a residue over everything. 

PXL_20230302_160555678.jpg.69b4c03688dcfd486a833c47b6ad5e55.jpg

The white stick sucks up the fluid and the whole lot is definitely small enough for a 4mm scale smokebox. It also reacts very quickly when turned on and off. Definitely better than the smoke in my R392 County of Bedford....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I've delved a bit more and the current Hornby "smoke" units, unlike the older ones and those long supplied by Seuthe that cooked some kid of oil, do apparently use water with an ultrasonic vapouriser. 

I've delved a bit more and the current Hornby "smoke" units, unlike the older ones and those long supplied by Seuthe that cooked some kid of oil, do apparently use water with an ultrasonic vapouriser. 

Moving slightly off topic if I may, has anyone experimented to improve existing old fashioned smoke units i.e. the Seuthe type. Do different oils produce better smoke effects?

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Moving slightly off topic if I may, has anyone experimented to improve existing old fashioned smoke units i.e. the Seuthe type. Do different oils produce better smoke effects?

I'm not sure if it's better, but the REE smoke units are only to be used with ESU smoke fluid.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm more interested in diesels than steam, but I haven't found diesel smoke effects very convincing. To be clear if others like these units then go for it, we all like what we like but they're not for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

This one has potential.
image.png.5346b9bc1f71549fa89c2e81e0b8c423.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

On 08/03/2023 at 18:48, Darius43 said:

And, if you could, you would need to wear breathing apparatus in the railway room…

Cheers

Darius

Yes, I remember a layout at Warley some years ago where not only were the locos fitted with smoke units, but so were several factory chimseys and a narrow boat. Nice layout, but I couldn't stand in front of it for more than about 30 seconds before I needed to go and get some fresh(er) air!

• Like 1

On 08/03/2023 at 11:41, Pacific231G said:

I thought they'd mentioned an atomiser which would imply turning the water into a mist before heating it. It's a tricky one because "steam"  (water vapour in fact- steam is an invisible gas) doesn't scale terrible well, I think because the droplet size is too large, so assume  that atomising it might improve that.   

To me, that was one of the disappointments of the "Live Steam" sets - the water vapour condensed out collected on the roofs of the coaches, where it just didn't look right.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Watching last night I got the impression from the running mode; that there was a sort of 'skirt' at the bottom of the boiler - I'll have a good look on Sunday and watch for that in particular.  It might be because it was a 3-D print (assuming that's what it was?). But I sincerely hope that I'm wrong and it wont appear on production model! - it isn't on the CAD details which someone posted on another thread.  

It also showed, unintentionally no doubt, the perils of taking details from a preserved engine with that tip-up seat on the front of the tender -  clearly a preservation era addition.

But overall good tv entertainment and a noce mix of railways and slot cars.

Edited by The Stationmaster
Correct typo - thanks Darius
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, sawyermodels said:

I agree with you. We were discussing this very subject at the railway club this evening. 

Steam locos only, because that is what the general public relate to and/or the production team think (I use the word loosely) is most important?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Watching last night I got the impression from the running mode; that there was asjort at the bottom of the boiler

Presumably “asjort” is a typo?  Do you mean “ joint”?

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold
On 10/03/2023 at 11:34, Darius43 said:

Presumably “asjort” is a typo?  Do you mean “ joint”?

Cheers

Darius

Thanks Darius - quite how 'skirt' became that I don't know bit it looked like a sort of vertical 'skirt' beneath the boiler.  Original now corrected thanks again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Pretty much echoes their approach to manufacturing models now.

Be fair . They’ve just advertised their Class 87 Diesel 😁

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

Having now caught up to Ep 7 on YouTube here in the US, and admittedly fast forwarding through quite a lot, I am surprised by certain omissions. 

First TT:120 was introduced as a 'new' scale but with vague references to the old TT3.  No mention of the scale's European adoption or of Arnold, a Hornby company, already producing models in TT.  It would surely be ludicrous not to have involved Arnold designers and production engineers in the British outline models.

The 9F saga of wheel spacing was either drama or an unfortunate error.  If the latter then a bit embarrassing.....  No mention that the centre drivers are flangleless, as in the prototype.

The design process both for Airfix and Hornby is very simplistically presented.  Almost as though a few photos taken of prototypes is all it takes!  No mention of research using manufacturers' drawings and specifications, which surely would be of interest!  Also no mention of the design process to ascertain the individual pieces to be moulded or the tool design.

Finally no mention of the assembly process or where it's done (vague reference to India).  It's as though a pretty CAD picture magically becomes a fully finished model or a set of sprues when someone opens a cardboard box.....

Yes, I know I'm an engineer, but surely the whole concept would be of interest - there are after all quite a lot of 'How it's Made' shows.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

The design process both for Airfix and Hornby is very simplistically presented.  Almost as though a few photos taken of prototypes is all it takes!  No mention of research using manufacturers' drawings and specifications, which surely would be of interest!  Also no mention of the design process to ascertain the individual pieces to be moulded or the tool design.

Finally no mention of the assembly process or where it's done (vague reference to India).  It's as though a pretty CAD picture magically becomes a fully finished model or a set of sprues when someone opens a cardboard box.....

Yes, I know I'm an engineer, but surely the whole concept would be of interest - there are after all quite a lot of 'How it's Made' shows.

This is what grinds my gears, in a trivial way, you do get the impression that once the 3D CAD of the prototype is done then they're almost there, when in reality I suspect that's where the difficult work (by the Far Eastern subcontractors presumably?) starts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

46 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

First TT:120 was introduced as a 'new' scale but with vague references to the old TT3.  No mention of the scale's European adoption or of Arnold, a Hornby company, already producing models in TT.  It would surely be ludicrous not to have involved Arnold designers and production engineers in the British outline models.

The Hornby European ranges seems to be conspicuous in their absence.

Can we have an episode where Simon ponders over what dubious livery do the Electrotren 0-6-0T in next? Or the word 'iconic' is over used 47 times to describe an orange liveried TGV?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Can we have an episode where Simon ponders over what dubious livery do the Electrotren 0-6-0T in next? Or the word 'iconic' is over used 47 times to describe an orange liveried TGV?

Heljan have already 'tangoed' iconically (it must be, it's LNER Andy - or should that be ironically?)