Bachmann Spring Announcments 2023

Chris56057

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

Provided they get rid of those darned roof ribs !

As mentioned above, all of the more recent ones (including my three) are rib-less and look far better for it, especially when weathered.  I don't think ribs really work in 4mm scale (since in reality they are weld-lines and not proud of the surface), and I prefer the rib-less approach that Bachmann took to their class 121 as opposed to Dapol who went for ribbed.

Ooh, actually, there's a thought: a 122 from Bachmann with the same chassis as the 121 would actually be very nice....

Edited by Solo
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Even so Bachmann are pretty quiet in OO as well. 

There are still plenty of blue boxes in the shops, but I'm starting to wonder how much of that is old stock...

In 2022 Bachmann released the following new tooling products.

BR Vanwide Van

BR VEA Van

Refurbished Mk2F DBSO

All-new Class 37

Dance Hall Brake Van

Bulleid Coaches (four types)

Plus Farish. 

Plus 400 individual products.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It is interesting to see how the OO scale Bachmann section gets all frothy and excited about a forthcoming periodic announcement whilst over in N Scale Farish land, all is  silent.  You can tell which scale is the most optimistic, I think us N scale guys have had too many low relief toilets and have rather lost faith...

Is that your way of saying that the only new Farish item will be a new Scenecraft church?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, peterfgf said:

Centre car for Class 101 would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.  I've got the Lima version but it a bit dated now.

Peteerfgf

The DTC would also need retooling to become a DMC for a 3 car set….

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

This was delivered from Bachmann and came this morning.  Collectors club 2023 wagon.

truck.jpg

Nice! Can’t read the builders plate is it GRCW built? 

11 hours ago, NIK said:

I didn't know Hornby were going to move the motor bogie - do you know where that info came from?.

That was in the 2022 announcements; The motor bogie is moving to the guards compartment where it always should have been (the VEP has probably the biggest of the MK1 EMUs, you could hide an elephant in there, the underframe is being replaced by a cast metal one for extra weight and elimination of the traction tyres.

10 hours ago, Solo said:

As mentioned above, all of the more recent ones (including my three) are rib-less and look far better for it, especially when weathered.  I don't think ribs really work in 4mm scale (since in reality they are weld-lines and not proud of the surface), and I prefer the rib-less approach that Bachmann took to their class 121 as opposed to Dapol who went for ribbed.

Ooh, actually, there's a thought: a 122 from Bachmann with the same chassis as the 121 would actually be very nice....

Unribbed for your pleasure….

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

I would imagine there will be some polybulks announced given the recent run for rails of Sheffield. Could be for the collectors club maybe.

Other than that no clue but does anyone else use the announcements to count down the year ie only 4 announcements until  Christmas!

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, frobisher said:

That was in the 2022 announcements; The motor bogie is moving to the guards compartment where it always should have been (the VEP has probably the biggest of the MK1 EMUs, you could hide an elephant in there, the underframe is being replaced by a cast metal one for extra weight and elimination of the traction tyres.

Hi,

Good to know. The photos on the Hornby website show the motor still in the open saloon but that may be the revised body with the larger roof ventilators on the old chassis:

674950474_HORNBY1STREVISIONMBSOA1.png.7c5bd545d62aa879bbf5204abcfcd5fd.png

Regards

Nik

On 24/01/2023 at 23:31, XChris said:

I would have thought that we will see more 37’s, 47’s and 158’s. The 37’s are likely to be Loadhaul/Mainline or those that will challenge Accurascales already announced models. The 47’s would be nice to see some modern era, Riviera WCRC or ROG or LSL models, I think we will also see RES, Virgin and EWS ones.

the 158 I’m hoping will appear in Northern Blue/Purple, but I can imagine it appearing in white/purple and maybe FGW blue, ATW/TFW or northern Spirit.

Can’t see the point in doing same 37s as ACCs first batch as they are sold out and close to factory despatch but trying to predict any new batch and getting in first would be challenging to get right. 

given the investment in new 37s & 47s, they will feature though but will they stick with more 37/4 - DRS? HNRC? Colas? Or maybe NR yellow?

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, XChris said:

I would also have to guess that the turquoise Anglia Mk.2f’s will appear at some point to go with the DBSO? But sometimes common sense doesn’t prevail…

The Bachmann guys are pretty approachable.

They indicated the Anglia dbso was made as it makes sense to do them in a batch for efficiency.

Whilst the coaches will inevitably follow, it may not be worthwhile to set up the machinery just for one batch of Anglia dbsos at that time.

I wouldnt damn them for doing on this one, as otherwise we’d be damning them for not doing later.

• Agree 1

+1 vote for a 009 Garratt / Blanche as preserved. I wonder if they'll do a blue Linda at any point 👀

Welsh 158s would be a massive win. Although not TfW please, I've still got one in the paint shop... Also, a Regional Railways 37/4 would be most welcome. I'm probably in the minority for that, as we've got a great model that was released a few years ago. But it was shat factory weathering, so I'm currently using one of the OG class 37 models Bachmann made.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

Can’t see the point in doing same 37s as ACCs first batch as they are sold out and close to factory despatch but trying to predict any new batch and getting in first would be challenging to get right. 

given the investment in new 37s & 47s, they will feature though but will they stick with more 37/4 - DRS? HNRC? Colas? Or maybe NR yellow?

In that vein it will be interesting to see who gets to the proper South Wales 37s first…. Centre headcode, VF and RSH, unrefurbished, green and banger blue….

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Solo said:

I prefer the rib-less approach that Bachmann took to their class 121 as opposed to Dapol who went for ribbed.

Although completely smooth isn't right either - fortunately I try not to worry about these things.

I happen to have a Heljan Class 128 and GWR Railcar on the layout at the moment and I would say that in both cases the roof detail is very good in terms of scale - feint ribs on the first and feint rivet lines on the second. I don't know how prototypically accurate the detail is in either case but it shows that it can be done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

That comment was a bit cheesy👀

God these puns really grate on me... 

Ok, I'll stop now. Or this thread might end up as toast 🤐

(oh and some more 150s would be welcome please too!)

• Funny 1