Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex - New Class 60

AY Mod

Currently have Hornby 60078 in Mainline blue running on the rolling road (it's the only 60 I permitted myself to have (supposed to modelling the early - late 70's 🙄) and honestly if the Cavalex guys improve on the Hornby version, we are in for a treat 👌

Edited by Southernman46

6 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Currently have Hornby 60078 in Mainline blue running on the rolling road (it's the only 60 I permitted myself to have (supposed to modelling the early - late 70's 🙄) and honestly if the Cavalex guys improve on the Hornby version, we are in for a treat 👌

Id say theyve done that with the 56, so the 60 shouldnt be a problem

NL

• Agree 2

I got to be honest. With the Class 56 just came out on release to the public. I am getting more excited about their upcoming Class 60. As an owner of 3 Class 60's from Hornby and they are not an easy model to beat as it was ahead of its time in 2006 and its won many awards over the years. But this new model coming up from Cavalex Models could well be an exception because the first major thing about it is that the sound models will benefit from a nice bass speaker which has been implemented into the design of the heavy chassis. Then we will likely have things like cab lights, prototypical control of the head and tail lights, heavier chassis and maybe all wheel drive?  

Now I have put a question mark on this about all wheel drive because I would this would be the case with the new Class 60 model to aid traction on hauling heavy trains? If its going be all wheel drive, I wonder if its possible to have steerable trucks that would make the model more stable on curve tracks with the risk of derailing whilst still having the traction available on the central driven axle? ScaleTrains has done this with a lot of their American GE locomotives to make their heavy models more stable on curved tracks with the front axles randomly derailing when pulling a heavy loaded train. 

Either way, I am getting a few of these new Class 60's because I do love the real locomotives and I am going to build a modern era layout which will use a fair few of them on a fictional UK setting. For now, I will be enjoying their Class 56 models whilst I am waiting in awe for these new beasts to come to us. Another gem that is worth the wait in my opinion. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Now I have put a question mark on this about all wheel drive because I would this would be the case with the new Class 60 model to aid traction on hauling heavy trains? If its going be all wheel drive, I wonder if its possible to have steerable trucks that would make the model more stable on curve tracks with the risk of derailing whilst still having the traction available on the central driven axle? ScaleTrains has done this with a lot of their American GE locomotives to make their heavy models more stable on curved tracks with the front axles randomly derailing when pulling a heavy loaded train. 

Not too sure that Scaletrains locos  have steerable trucks. But it would be an eye-opener if they have.

Do you have any images of the models?

However - Scaletrains have modelled locos that have self-steering trucks under the prototypes.

In much the same way that Bachmann and others have modelled the HTCR under the Class 66s

BTW, the Cavalex 56 has a floating/unpowered centre axle.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Not too sure that Scaletrains locos  have steerable trucks. But it would be an eye-opener if they have.

Do you have any images of the models?

However - Scaletrains have modelled locos that have self-steering trucks under the prototypes.

In much the same way that Bachmann and others have modelled the HTCR under the Class 66s

BTW, the Cavalex 56 has a floating/unpowered centre axle.

Sadly I missed out on their AC4400CW's but there was talk about them having steerable trucks on some models as per the prototypes. Meanwhile. I am waiting for another run of them so I can find out. Thanks for the information on the Class 56's. Technically its identical to how the models of the Rapido Trains GE Dash 8-40CM's were made as my N scale model had the A-1-A drive and it was stiff a great puller. The middle axle had pickups though. Anyway, I will find out tomorrow how things work out on my test track when I do the review of my Class 56. 

3 minutes ago, Southwich said:

IMG_6580.jpeg.f748a0819a061a84c24e872cea4dada7.jpeg

The new 4mm Class 60 

Wrong red entirely….etc etc…;)

That looks nice , I’d love to compare with my Hornby ones side by side to see if it’s a quantum leap or a gentle change for the better 

2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Wrong red entirely….etc etc…;)

That looks nice , I’d love to compare with my Hornby ones side by side to see if it’s a quantum leap or a gentle change for the better 

It depends like any model how keen your eye is I guess. Obviously a lot of extra detail parts etc and state of the art internals but general shape is as similar as your eye makes it.

We think it's a massive improvement.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Tiny151 said:

This might be the angriest loco I've ever seen! 

Should have a starring role in 'a real version' of Thomas the Tank Engine'  - modern equivalent of Class 42 'Diesel 10'!!

(Anyone not familiar, current 'latest cartoon' versions are no longer made for 5 - 100 years olds, but 1 - 4 year olds - really an insult to a genuine institution ... rant over!)

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Southwich said:

The new 4mm Class 60 

I’m doing pretty well for someone that doesn’t like 56s and 60s……another one to add to the purchase list! 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
spelling
  • Funny 4

On 25/01/2024 at 22:44, BritishRail60062 said:

Sadly I missed out on their AC4400CW's but there was talk about them having steerable trucks on some models as per the prototypes. Meanwhile. I am waiting for another run of them so I can find out. Thanks for the information on the Class 56's. Technically its identical to how the models of the Rapido Trains GE Dash 8-40CM's were made as my N scale model had the A-1-A drive and it was stiff a great puller. The middle axle had pickups though. Anyway, I will find out tomorrow how things work out on my test track when I do the review of my Class 56. 

The steerable trucks reference is to the type of truck fitted to the prototypes, the models don't have, nor need steerable trucks.  Scaletrains models (and indeed all central motored US locos I've came across) are very sure footed and will pull way in excess of their prototypes loads without missing a beat.

13 minutes ago, YT-1300 said:

The steerable trucks reference is to the type of truck fitted to the prototypes, the models don't have, nor need steerable trucks.  Scaletrains models (and indeed all central motored US locos I've came across) are very sure footed and will pull way in excess of their prototypes loads without missing a beat.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I never got the chance to buy one of those AC4400's to check as I thought it was just hyperbole and now I know it is. I can just move on and forget about it. My Intermountain ET44AC's don't have them but they are heavier than any UK models I have had as they are over 750 grams per engine! So much that I will only need two max at the front of any train! 

I wonder if the new Class 60 will be as heavy as that? Only time will tell 😉. Anyway, I am only getting 60010 for now as my main focus will be more onto American/Canadian stuff. Especially as I will be living there in the future and I intend to build a model railway based on the BNSF Scenic Sub route that I had for MSTS. I still love the Class 60's and I always will. I wish Cavalex Models all the very best with their new Class 60 model when it comes out. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Southwich said:

The new 4mm Class 60 

A big source of frustration on Hornby 66’s and as evidenced on ebay is the plastic horns.. so many broken ones, after market 3d printed ones etc.

Any chance of something more robust as they are exposed and a weak point ? Are these plastic ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I never got the chance to buy one of those AC4400's to check as I thought it was just hyperbole and now I know it is. I can just move on and forget about it. My Intermountain ET44AC's don't have them but they are heavier than any UK models I have had as they are over 750 grams per engine! So much that I will only need two max at the front of any train! 

I wonder if the new Class 60 will be as heavy as that? Only time will tell 😉. Anyway, I am only getting 60010 for now as my main focus will be more onto American/Canadian stuff. Especially as I will be living there in the future and I intend to build a model railway based on the BNSF Scenic Sub route that I had for MSTS. I still love the Class 60's and I always will. I wish Cavalex Models all the very best with their new Class 60 model when it comes out. 

I mis read this, and thought you said could we have a bnsf liveried class 60….

but hey wouldnt that be a good idea?

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Is the Class 60 going to be the A1A - A1A format as per the Class 56?

Al.

Yes it will be. Road holding is paramount.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I mis read this, and thought you said could we have a bnsf liveried class 60….

but hey wouldnt that be a good idea?

Now you've given me an idea mate 😉. Something like an AC37CM project is what I will be working on and I use one of these models as a basis for a project to making something unique for my new layout project. 

9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Is the Class 60 going to be the A1A - A1A format as per the Class 56?

Al.

It will be from what I hear but no bother. I will be modifying mine to AWD using the truck inner frames from an Athearn Genesis model, I like proper setups personally and I have wide radius tracks. I still respect their decisions for A1A though, although I do prefer AWD drive when the real things have it. 

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A big source of frustration on Hornby 66’s and as evidenced on ebay is the plastic horns.. so many broken ones, after market 3d printed ones etc.

Any chance of something more robust as they are exposed and a weak point ? Are these plastic ?

In truth about the Hornby Class 60's, the horns are a weak point and I have noticed that they are more prone to getting smashed off with the newer plastic packaging than the older styrene packaging was as they protected the model more. Personally I do hope Cavalex Models will at the very least consider using metal ones for the reasons of robustness and quality as metal horns do look nicer in my opinion. Perhaps brass or alloy could work. I wish someone would make metal ones for the Hornby Class 60 models too because they won't break off so easily and they are more robust. Perhaps Cavalex Models will do their Class 60 with metal horns and offer them as spares also, they would sell like mad I bet! 😉

• RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2024 at 20:54, BritishRail60062 said:

I’m not sure you’ve entirely understood the design of the floating centre axle, and I have explained on your YouTube channel exactly why this model doesn’t need all axle drive. 

The 56 was designed by a Mechanical Engineer, to provide maximum tractive effort. The 60 will be exactly the same. 

There is a YouTube video showing the 56, with a train weighing three times the amount of your short TEA rake, starting on a helix without out any wheel slip whatsoever. 

The biggest question here I guess is: Why would you want to make what is possibly the best RTR locomotive the U.K. market has ever seen…..more inefficient? 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 4
  • Agree 10

13 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

I’m not sure you’ve entirely understood the design of the floating centre axle, and I have explained on your YouTube channel exactly why this model doesn’t need all axle drive. 

The 56 was designed by a Mechanical Engineer, to provide maximum tractive effort. The 60 will be exactly the same. 

There is a YouTube video showing the 56, with a train weighing three times the amount of your short TEA rake, starting on a helix without out any wheel slip whatsoever. 

The biggest question here I guess is: Why would you want to make what is possibly the best RTR locomotive the U.K. market has ever seen…..more inefficient?

Im sure all will be revealed in a splendid self indulgent, niave youtube review!

• Funny 1

I genuinely don't understand why anyone wants all wheel drive on a co-co in model form. RTR model bogies simply dont work like the prototype and I've lost count on how many I've had ones that rock on their centre axles. Added to that converting to EM/P4 is much harder. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, BritishRail60062 said:

I will be modifying mine to AWD using the truck inner frames from an Athearn Genesis model,

Might be worth doing an actual pull weight test before hacking up one £200 loco with wheels and axle spacing that are probably wrong to get 10g more traction than the standard loco? My modern Athearn locos aren’t noticeably better than their British counterparts in traction. 
When I put an Athearn SD40 motor in a Lima 59 back in 1995 it made a substantial difference but I doubt it’ll be more than a few grams difference today. 
Watching Wessex&West YouTube video of the 56 it seems a tad pointless when it can pull scale length trains up gradients far steeper than reality 😉

Edited by PaulRhB
Wales / wessex mind fart
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

As I have said before, we are not preaching that it will be the most powerful loco in the world, we are saying it will be more sure footed in OO, and especially the finer scales, because of the design which to us is more important than brute strength. As long as the loco can haul in model form what the prototype can in real life that's what matters, and it will.

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 1