Class 66, By Accurascale

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

From the photos at the very least it’s being done in late 2000 onwards condition with wing mirrors.   Assuming they are not changing this element of the tooling (I don’t see why they would) these plug into holes in the body side and make backdating a real pain even if the livery is “standard” ews.

I’ve done it once on a Hattons model and would not be planning to do so a second time, getting a good paint match where you’ve filled the holes is always a pain.

I live in hope that either 001 or 002 with Res grills, flush horn grill, different lashing eyes  etc will be an Accurascale exclusive given these tooling variants have been mentioned.  Which would be perfect for the late 90s / early 2000s (and something never done RTR before)

If you check this guy,s channel it has loads of them being unloaded new at Newport and some really good views of them

https://www.youtube.com/@TheMichaelWilcock2016Railways

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

I am surprised that the Freightliner livery has not been updated by Wisconsin Rail livery, but do accept licensing can be an issue .

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/66freightliner/e9db63e76

Paul

Genesee and Wyoming, I think you intended, Paul. 

Edited by 'CHARD
spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, McC said:

Hi Danny!

Thanks for the questions!

1 - The coupling has been upgraded to our 'standard' NEM kinematic socket system, which is designed to work with all of our compatible stock (and any model with a NEM standard kinematic coupling system for close coupling, or a standard NEM socket / Coupler for 'regular' coupling; Anyone who has our Mark 5 coaches can attest to how well this system works between compatible vehicles for 'true' close coupling. Fixing a coupler to a bogie or chassis is not standard, not a good idea, and just not us. (unless its a 4 wheel wagon, and even then we design in movement)

2 - We've tooled, like we always do, an extensive suite, which includes a wide range of new, more detailed cabs, through to detail parts and changes needed to tool pretty much the entire range of variants now running on British metals.

3 - The accurascale 66 will run on regular 4 or 6 function decoders without sound, we recommend and will be offering a preprogrammed lokpilot from ESU

4 - We have plans to make the 66 a regular fixture on our production lines, adding new versions, never before seen versions, hero versions and mundane versions over the coming years.

5 - Our price for the 66 with all our standard features remains £169.99 ready and £259.99 with sound fitted. As per the Exclusive 31 just launched, we don't add premia for exclusives or more complex liveries.

Thank you for the detailed reply to the questions, it’s greatly appreciated. 

So the couplings will still be on a spring but there have been some modifications made, this sounds good. Do the couplings still swing right around close to the buffers, or do they now stay more forward facing even when going around corners? I’m just thinking in relation to interlocking between wagons and other locos and derailing. Also I forgot to mention this yesterday but have you amended the coupling ‘droop’? On the original Hattons batch the couplings easily pushed down when any pressure was applied which meant that couplings between the loco and wagons or other locos became tangled and caused derailments. Is there any chance that you could produce a video showing the loco up close attached to other 66s and wagons running along straight stretches of track and around corners? This is just the main and only niggle and slight reservation I have before deciding which ones to pre-order from the first batch. 

The additional tooling to cover more cab interiors and the Euro variants is excellent news. As we know the GBRf Euro variants have never been modelled in RTR form before, so this is very exciting news. The batch of 747, 748 and 749 have already worn five different liveries for GBRf in the UK and they have only been here for ten years. These are plain Grey with Orange GBRf numbers on the bodysides (worn by all three), GBRf Blue and Orange Europorte (worn by all three), 747 in Newell & Wright Transport livery, 748 with Safer branding and decals and 749 in GBRf Blue and Orange but without Europorte branding. 

It’s good to hear that there will be a specific DCC Decoder available to buy directly from yourselves via your website for the 66. I would rather buy this DCC Decoder than another one which might not allow everything to function. 

So just to confirm you aren’t ruling out reproducing the same liveries and running numbers that Hattons have in the original batch? I would welcome seeing 743 and 746 in Royal Scotsman livery and 780 in Cemex livery. 780 would be perfect to run with your hopper wagons. It’s good to hear that standard/mundane liveries and running numbers will feature regularly too. This is something that Bachmann have lacked in there range especially in recent years. The last Freightliner Green 66 was produced in 2014/2015! This is far too long of a gap to leave it missing from the range. 

It’s excellent to hear that the price for standard DCC Ready and Sound Fitted examples will remain the same regardless of where each model is available from and the livery. For £170 for the definitive 66 and for special/unique liveries this is exceptional value for money. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 2

Hi.

I am new to posting but have been reading the form for ages.

This Is brilliant news. I am very looking forward to it. Thank you Accurascale I have been very much waiting for the next batch of the now Ex Hattons 66.  This is going to break my wallet big time, as I love the 66 and have a good amount of the Hattons version. I am looking at ordering 66004 ' Climate Hero' and EWS 66171 for starters.

I do hope you do the DB Maritime Blue livery (Hopefully No.66005 'Maritime Intermodal One'). as I was disappointed Hattons never released in the batch of celeb locos they announced and when speaking to Richard from Hattons at Warley. I think they did as well due to the amount of people who asked for it.

Once again I would like to Thank you guys big time and I feel like a child at Christmas with this Announcement.

Chris

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I would welcome seeing 743 and 746 in Royal Scotsman livery and 780 in Cemex livery.

Hi Danny,

I would guess that the Royal Scotsman pair of 66743 and 66746 is not high up on there priority for liveries unfortunately. The reason being is there are liveries out there, which have never been done before. Also that these one's were one of the last to sell out at Hattons.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Can we have this one as an exclusive? Pleeeeease?

It's the only time I've deliberately gone out to photograph a 66 (or two) and the livery suited 747 so well; 

FB_IMG_1677364152759.jpg.88e0b0af163423e7f6306b10dfe1775c.jpg

Edit: 7th June 2014 for anyone who's curious :) 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Battleship grey?

Looks like it's in primer before the paint goes on.

I know, but for me, not a fan - each to his/her as they say.

Al.

Yeah , that ain’t no livery. That’s undercoat. I’d suggest a can of Halfords primer 

14 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Yeah , that ain’t no livery. That’s undercoat. I’d suggest a can of Halfords primer 

Halfords primer wouldn't be glossy enough ;) 

Besides, Accurascale would do a much better job of the overall livery than I would. When you look closely there's quite a few intricate paint / marking details on it.

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I can probably tell you right now, no it won’t be a fixed coupling. That would be a serious backwards step for modern models. 

I understand your thinking but in relation to the original Hattons batch of the 66 there were issues reported when couplings were moving too far around and close to the buffers on the locos, as well as the drooping of the NEM couplings. Accurascale have said that some modifications have been made to the coupling mechanism, and I have asked if they can make a video in relation to the things that I have mentioned so we can see how well the 66 runs with other 66s and wagons. 

14 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

With a bit work they can be made as good as it should have been,its just a to get a longer axle in to cure the axle box the lighting board fixes with the lights was something Hattons should have stepped up and sorted as if your not happy just return them is not what anyone wants to hear on a new model.I doubt Accurascale will be falling over themselves to do the ones Hattons released for a good while but time will tell.Im sure the lads will nail the axle box but would have liked them to have the body section lift out rather than the stack so it mirrored the real thing like the N gauge 59.

Is there an award for longest thread,this will save you buying longer axles young fella.

You know you like my long comments haha, I hope you are keeping well my friend. 

5 hours ago, Creampot Junction said:

Hi Danny,

I would guess that the Royal Scotsman pair of 66743 and 66746 is not high up on there priority for liveries unfortunately. The reason being is there are liveries out there, which have never been done before. Also that these one's were one of the last to sell out at Hattons.

Chris

I mentioned these two models specifically because when they were produced by Hattons there were issues regarding getting all of the lighting functions to work. I believe it affected these two models and possibly a further six or seven other models too with the same lighting configuration. Unless you had the ability and wanted to try and buy the models and get the lighting to work then not all of the lighting functions were operational. Accurascale have now rectified this according to the information in the announcement so it would be good to see some or all of the liveries reproduced that had this issue from the Hattons batch. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, 60800 said:

Halfords primer wouldn't be glossy enough ;) 

Besides, Accurascale would do a much better job of the overall livery than I would. When you look closely there's quite a few intricate paint / marking details on it.

Cheers,

I agree it suits it quite well , but I'm not sure how long it lasted ? Maybe end up as a poor seller as a niche within a niche 

I wonder if production and sales data of the Hattons 66 is included in the deal, i.e. how many of each were made and how quickly did each of them sell.

Of course, there are obvious ones that sold very slowly, e.g. the Royal Scotsman and the Orange Freightliner. But what's important is which ones sold the quickest, because that'd be very helpful in deciding which liveries to re-do first.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

It's current livery maybe of more interest.

Paul

Screenshot_20230226_075825_Gallery_copy_497x397.jpg

the blue on that is actually a metallic finish if you look close up

40 minutes ago, toby_tl10 said:

I wonder if production and sales data of the Hattons 66 is included in the deal, i.e. how many of each were made and how quickly did each of them sell.

no need for data from Hattons, they just need to have a look at the hattons 66 thread and find @adb968008 in depth analysis of sales figures and times, numbers produced and slow sellers!! 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Talk about right place at the right time Paul,it has got to get one wondering why make fastline coal hoppers in the wagon run,there must be a slim chance for a 66 to appear now. Was this piloted by a younger @big jim

not me guv, don’t sign York, I did however take 66434 to ironbridge power station on its first run after it’s repaint, can’t find the picture at the moment though 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/02/2023 at 12:01, XChris said:

A question on 66507, will it have what appears to be a green surround on the Freightliner logo? Looking on Flickr I can’t see the green surround on photos, it could well be there in reality but I can’t see a picture of it. I quite like the idea of renumbering it to 506 in a later era, but a green surround would stop that idea?

Cheers

Maybe of interest, I've noticed that the model is missing the 'zero injuries' stickers next to the doors which appeared in August 2015. Additionally the lights were updated to LED in October 2017.

Edited by DanielP
correction and addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Having not brought an EWS one from hattons after all the issues , I'm in the market for one .

It seems though 66171 will be done as is today - does this mean a faded maroon , patches of primer showing  through on the roof etc ?

If so it'll foil any plan of back dating it to late 90s ,early 00s

18 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

From the photos at the very least it’s being done in late 2000 onwards condition with wing mirrors.   Assuming they are not changing this element of the tooling (I don’t see why they would) these plug into holes in the body side and make backdating a real pain even if the livery is “standard” ews.

I’ve done it once on a Hattons model and would not be planning to do so a second time, getting a good paint match where you’ve filled the holes is always a pain.

I live in hope that either 001 or 002 with Res grills, flush horn grill, different lashing eyes  etc will be an Accurascale exclusive given these tooling variants have been mentioned.  Which would be perfect for the late 90s / early 2000s (and something never done RTR before)

I would bet a year's mortgage on Accurascale eventually producing an EWS pristine version of the 66 pretty much as delivered to the UK in the late 1990s.  After all the first Freightliner locos were identical, neither of course having the rear view mirrors. Did the early Freightliner locos receive the same horn grill mods ? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

I would bet a year's mortgage on Accurascale eventually producing an EWS pristine version of the 66 pretty much as delivered to the UK in the late 1990s.  After all the first Freightliner locos were identical, neither of course having the rear view mirrors. Did the early Freightliner locos receive the same horn grill mods ? 

From memory it was only 66001/2 which had the flush horn grill.  They were later retrofitted with the standard one (though kept the non standard lashing eyes and red grills).   

the freightliner ones were identical to a standard as built 66 (up to the point of buckeye fitting /retrofit) 

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

From memory it was only 66001/2 which had the flush horn grill.  They were later retrofitted with the standard one (though kept the non standard lashing eyes and red grills).   

the freightliner ones were identical to a standard as built 66 (up to the point of buckeye fitting /retrofit) 

66001 - 200 were delivered with the flush grills, as were 501-505.

Unique features on 66001 and 002 are maroon grills, different lashing eyes on the front and different dragbox / coupling assembly (believed to be the same as a 59) so can't be buckeye fitted. They were also delivered with class 59 postion lamp bracket, but this was soon moved.

In fact, the bufferbeam on 001 and 002 are visually very very similar to those on 59/1 and 59/2s.

Jo

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I still think 66623 would have sold out a hell of a lot quicker if it had been the correct shade of orange… so if Accurascale were to do that particular number/loco again - I’m sure it’d sell out again. (I’d certainly purchase one)

• Agree 1

Straw poll time

Would anyone buy or renumber a Freightliner example as 66521 which had a very very short life of just 79 days on UK metals ?  Do you think your models need to be long lasting examples of prototypes or would it not matter to you ? 

6 hours ago, birdseyecircus said:

It's current livery maybe of more interest.

Paul

Screenshot_20230226_075825_Gallery_copy_497x397.jpg

Prefer the grey - that scheme is bloody awful, looks like something designed in 1970.

• Agree 7

9 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Straw poll time

Would anyone buy or renumber a Freightliner example as 66521 which had a very very short life of just 79 days on UK metals ?  Do you think your models need to be long lasting examples of prototypes or would it not matter to you ? 

Seeing as 521 was written off and the driver killed in the Heck accident , I’d consider it a rather morbid renumber and I’m not precious about these things.

But why would you ? Plenty of others with more to offer 

• Agree 5

22 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I was after an 'early' EWS 66 too until I found this picture of 66171 I took at Valley back in July 2006. Didn't realise they were receiving wing mirrors as early as this.

MF0717.jpg

• Like 2